Author Topic: The Inauguration Thread  (Read 8333 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
The Inauguration Thread
« on: December 30, 2008, 12:04:32 pm »
what you doin' on Jan 20th?  i've heard everything here from "getting front row" (suckers) to "avoiding that clusterf*ck at all costs" (wimps).  CNN's take:

Inauguration organizers describe day-long endurance test

There are still a host of question marks around next month?s inauguration festivities, but one thing is undeniable: the day may be geared less to your average middle schooler, and more to a field-tested U.S. Marine.

In the latest blunt advisory released Monday, the presidential inaugural committee said ticket-holders for President-elect Barack Obama?s swearing-in ceremony will need to arrive no fewer than three hours before the outdoor ceremony?s scheduled 11:30 a.m. start time.

But getting there in the first place poses a logistical challenge that?s not for the faint of heart or limb. Despite a new plan to turn big sections of the city into parking lots for charter buses and a peak rush hour schedule plan for the city?s Metro system, most cars and buses are unlikely to be allowed to enter the city, let alone the designated two-mile security zone around the swearing-in site.

Metro officials warn that riders will be underground with ?thousands? of fellow visitors ? meaning that even those lucky enough to make it onto the platform will face lengthy wait times before they see the inside of a packed train car.

Attendees forced to abandon their cars for mass transit might want to start a Stairmaster schedule now: transportation officials have warned that capacity crowds may force them to turn off the system?s escalators ? making the trip back above ground an ambitious workout.

If all the dire predictions are tempting visitors to swear off transportation altogether in favor of an old-fashioned hike ? well, that?s sort of the point. Officials are advising everyone within two miles of the Capitol ? and those from further points who are up for the trek ? to walk to the site.

Of course, not everyone is in any condition for a miles-long slog through East Coast January weather. But organizers warned Monday that ?traffic conditions and restrictions? may make reaching drop-off points for disabled guests ?extremely difficult.?

?There will be designated areas for people with disabilities in each of the ticketed seating areas on the Capitol grounds, however these areas are limited in size and available on a first-come first-served basis,? read the advisory. ?Persons in wheelchairs or utilizing walkers should be aware that they will need to move across bumpy surfaces, grassy areas, and possible icy areas (depending on the weather).?

Those worried about how their child may handle the hike might want to leave them behind: strollers are unwelcome altogether. And everyone might want to cross their fingers for a dry day ? umbrellas are verboten too.

If you?ve overestimated your own toughness, don?t count on being able to call for help: ?Be aware that it may be difficult to talk? because of an overloaded communication system. ?Please use text messaging to send critical messages.?

Worried about your ability to handle the day-long endurance test? So?s the inaugural committee. ?Please think carefully about whether you can stand outside in cold weather in a large crowd for up to six hours? ? and ?whether you are ready for long delays getting home afterwards,? they said.

Officials have said they expect 1-2 million visitors to travel to the National Mall on Inauguration Day.
<sig>

Relaxer

Re: The Inauguration Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 12:20:13 pm »
Debating whether to tell my wife that we just received word that the NPR offices will be closed that day. If I tell her, I'll spend the day watching the kids and working on the house, both of which have their charm. If I don't tell her, I could spend the day biking around the city, drinking, smoking, doing a crossword in a park, and being free and easy.

Choices
oword

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:21:05 pm »
How many people travelled to the National Mall for Inauguration Day 2001?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 12:38:12 pm »
The latter sound GREAT. :)

Debating whether to tell my wife that we just received word that the NPR offices will be closed that day. If I tell her, I'll spend the day watching the kids and working on the house, both of which have their charm. If I don't tell her, I could spend the day biking around the city, drinking, smoking, doing a crossword in a park, and being free and easy.

Choices
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 12:43:42 pm »
I know, I'm really struggling with this. Thing is, my wife will shit her boner if she finds out I had a day off and didn't tell her.

I should probably post more details of our relationship on an open, public forum populated by people I've never met.
oword

Vas Deferens

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »
well will she ever find out? ;)  will she be at home as well on Jan 20th? It sounds like you want to get away from her, not the kids :)

I know, I'm really struggling with this. Thing is, my wife will shit her boner if she finds out I had a day off and didn't tell her.

I should probably post more details of our relationship on an open, public forum populated by people I've never met.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 12:50:09 pm by wanderlust joe m. »
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 12:58:35 pm »
She will be at home (she works out of our house) that day, along with both kids and the nanny.

And no, it's not that I want to get away from her or my kids, because they're all pretty damn great. It's more that in the last five years, I can count on one hand, with fingers to spare, when I've had an entire day to do my own thing and at a leisurely pace. I get plenty of nights out, mornings off, etc., but the prospect of an entire day has been to dream the impossible dream.

Still, that bathtub isn't going to grout itself.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 01:51:39 pm »
my wife still wants to go.  we'd have to take a vacation day.  I am imagining we may be able to get on a marc train from Baltimore that morning and at least get us to union station.  Once there, we're good. I am just wondering what union station will be like that morning.

we'll probably wait for a detailed weather report before deciding.

manimtired

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2008, 02:20:01 pm »
you live in baltimore...gross.
shouldnt you be posting on a sonar or rams head live message board? LOL!

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »
How many days in five years has she had to herself?

Why not just ask her for the day to yourself, and then give her one or two in return?

She will be at home (she works out of our house) that day, along with both kids and the nanny.

And no, it's not that I want to get away from her or my kids, because they're all pretty damn great. It's more that in the last five years, I can count on one hand, with fingers to spare, when I've had an entire day to do my own thing and at a leisurely pace. I get plenty of nights out, mornings off, etc., but the prospect of an entire day has been to dream the impossible dream.

Still, that bathtub isn't going to grout itself.

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2008, 02:35:07 pm »
Can we voluntarily ban the use of the term "clusterfuck"? Anyone who uses it, I automatically think they're a douche, even if they're not.

What sucks is the VRE charging me full price for my monthly pass, then telling me my monthly pass is invalid on the 20th, and that I must pay the inflated $25 ticket price like everyone else. I'll be watching on tv.

I'll be at Frightened Rabbit on Monday night, and puppy kindergarten class on Tuesday night.

manimtired

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2008, 02:37:14 pm »
come say hi at frightened rabbit charlie...ill look for the guy with the cane and obama shirt. lolz.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 02:44:00 pm »
u r an asshole LOL

you live in baltimore...gross.
shouldnt you be posting on a sonar or rams head live message board? LOL!
(_|_)

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2008, 02:51:22 pm »
Good luck at ever even getting out the doors of Union Station.

my wife still wants to go.  we'd have to take a vacation day.  I am imagining we may be able to get on a marc train from Baltimore that morning and at least get us to union station.  Once there, we're good. I am just wondering what union station will be like that morning.

we'll probably wait for a detailed weather report before deciding.

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 03:11:31 pm »
How many days in five years has she had to herself?

Why not just ask her for the day to yourself, and then give her one or two in return?

That's a fair question. She's had a few true whole days off but not many. However, she runs a small business and is frequently able (as in, a couple times a week) to spend an hour or two doing some work and then knock off for the day. Now, most often she will then do something with one of the kids or do some housework or whatnot, but the fact is, she has the freedom to decide what she wants to do, and sometimes that is meeting a friend for lunch/coffee/shopping/etc. Whereas, the only time I have to myself to meet friends, go biking/running, go to a show, etc., is after 9:00 pm after everyone is in bed. So there you.
oword