Author Topic: The Inauguration Thread  (Read 8335 times)

Re: The Inauguration Thread
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 03:29:13 pm »
That's a tough call. We're  in a fairly similiar position in terms of work/ (lack of) free time (though, arguably, my wife may have it tougher than your wife and I may be about equal or slighly easier compared with you), maybe my wife can chime in.

I've learned it's best to not keep secrets from my wife. Ever. Unless I want a smackdown.

Her reply: he should be honest and ask her if he can have a day to himself...

How many days in five years has she had to herself?

Why not just ask her for the day to yourself, and then give her one or two in return?

That's a fair question. She's had a few true whole days off but not many. However, she runs a small business and is frequently able (as in, a couple times a week) to spend an hour or two doing some work and then knock off for the day. Now, most often she will then do something with one of the kids or do some housework or whatnot, but the fact is, she has the freedom to decide what she wants to do, and sometimes that is meeting a friend for lunch/coffee/shopping/etc. Whereas, the only time I have to myself to meet friends, go biking/running, go to a show, etc., is after 9:00 pm after everyone is in bed. So there you.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:58:21 pm by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer »

killsaly

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 05:33:51 pm »
I was finally able to convince my boss that I can work at home on the 20th.  Even with the crazy traffic, subways, busses, and the security zone, which i work within, she was still saying i would have to go in or take leave.  Now i can stay at home.  Have fun and good luck,  whoever is going to try and come out in the maddness.  Doesnt seem worth it to me.  What are the people coming to dc for this even going to do?  stay outside all day, hoping they can catch a glance of Obama?  

edbert

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 05:50:48 pm »
I kinda lost enthusiasm since I voted for Obama, based on his lack of scrutiny of the bail-outs and some unfortunate appointments.  But I'll at least be downtown on Saturday because I'm going to Caps/Bruins... it might be a mob scene in that area. For Tuesday it seems likely that there'll need to be some place for Springsteen to get up and perform a tear-jerking rendition of The Rising, complete with full gospel chorus filing in at the end of the song.  If so, I'm guessing they'll just choose one of the Inaugural Balls for it

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2008, 07:48:16 pm »
MARC has a similar "promotion" running on the 20th, $25 roundtrip tickets.... I'm staying home, Kosmette is planning to attend...

What sucks is the VRE charging me full price for my monthly pass, then telling me my monthly pass is invalid on the 20th, and that I must pay the inflated $25 ticket price like everyone else. I'll be watching on tv.
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2008, 09:43:40 pm »
How many people travelled to the National Mall for Inauguration Day 2001?

I did -- as a protester -- and almost everyone else I could see on the parade route were protesters as well.

_\|/_

manimtired

« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2008, 09:57:04 pm »
How many people travelled to the National Mall for Inauguration Day 2001?

I did -- as a protester -- and almost everyone else I could see on the parade route were protesters as well.

FIGHT THE POWER!! dork. LOL!

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 11:15:37 am »
i will be seeing the queen of mean herself, lisa lampanelli, at warner on the weekend after.  i wonder what dc will look like after all those people have come in, trashed, and left the district?

eltee

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:32:04 am »
No longer going. Originally, I was to go down early am, stand around (w/ticket) or go inside (great view), leave mid-afternoon, get home in an hour. Uh, the new plan of attack has been amended a few times and was quietly told to me as if it's sane. Spend the night in an undisclosed office on an air mattress, stand in the cold for 4 hours (hand warmers are not enough Santa!), or go inside for no view due to the press bleachers blocking the swearing in platform. Then, drive in traffic for 8 hours to get home.

The bridges are closing the night before, the radio blasts end-of-the-world-don't-use-metro ads...If you are in the city, you have no choice, basically. Otherwise, I say, watch the tele at a pub or at home.

Do they put up big screens? We just need to be like Europe - put up big screens, go to your pub or gather in a big coliseum, hell, let's go to RFK!

nummy - good luck if you go, if not, I'll see if I can coordinate something fun in the new year...
Relaxer - I say enjoy the day to yourself if you can avoid the perils of the traffic/crowd. Your wife may seem to have the easier choice to take off when she wants to, but a full day "vacation" is different than stopping early or running errands. I think everyone should take a day. I did recently. I read, hit the trail while my car got an oil change - man so much different than staying home a day sick.

walkonby

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 11:46:06 am »
No longer going. Originally, I was to go down early am, stand around (w/ticket) or go inside (great view), leave mid-afternoon, get home in an hour. Uh, the new plan of attack has been amended a few times and was quietly told to me as if it's sane. Spend the night in an undisclosed office on an air mattress, stand in the cold for 4 hours (hand warmers are not enough Santa!), or go inside for no view due to the press bleachers blocking the swearing in platform. Then, drive in traffic for 8 hours to get home.

The bridges are closing the night before, the radio blasts end-of-the-world-don't-use-metro ads...If you are in the city, you have no choice, basically. Otherwise, I say, watch the tele at a pub or at home.

Do they put up big screens? We just need to be like Europe - put up big screens, go to your pub or gather in a big coliseum, hell, let's go to RFK!

nummy - good luck if you go, if not, I'll see if I can coordinate something fun in the new year...
Relaxer - I say enjoy the day to yourself if you can avoid the perils of the traffic/crowd. Your wife may seem to have the easier choice to take off when she wants to, but a full day "vacation" is different than stopping early or running errands. I think everyone should take a day. I did recently. I read, hit the trail while my car got an oil change - man so much different than staying home a day sick.

when speaking of election day, you may want to refrain from using, "my plan of attack."   :D

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 11:48:46 am »
what a fag.  ;D

i will be seeing the queen of mean herself, lisa lampanelli, at warner on the weekend after.  i wonder what dc will look like after all those people have come in, trashed, and left the district?
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 11:54:54 am »
[when speaking of election day, you may want to refrain from using, "my plan of attack."   :D

That's a good point. Why just the other day, I was telling a large group of people I don't know how I planned to "kill the president" and "assassinate Barack Obama with a gun that I myself will fire" and they didn't even know I was just talking about playing Scattergories.
oword

eltee

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 12:12:13 pm »
I wondered if anyone would jump on my words that I made reference to with intended sarcasm. It is a plan of attack, much like shopping at the mall on Black Friday, except with 4 billion people...(And by the mall, I mean a shopping center and by...Shoot - did I do it again?)
Besides, it is Inauguration Day - I already voted, silly!
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:15:36 pm by El Tee »

walkonby

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2008, 12:41:20 pm »
I wondered if anyone would jump on my words that I made reference to with intended sarcasm. It is a plan of attack, much like shopping at the mall on Black Friday, except with 4 billion people...(And by the mall, I mean a shopping center and by...Shoot - did I do it again?)

when listening (reading) words that i speak, intended sarcasm is mandatory.  i knew what you meant . . . but i still like messing with the ones who don't. 

relaxer, you are the james bond of funny.  except for the last movie.  no good.

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »
More like standing on the Mall with 4 billion people, on Black Tuesday.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:58 pm »
El Tee, are you going to the jello wrestling the day after? haha! Too bad it's not men's jello wrestling...would love to see nkotb as a contestant HEH.
(_|_)