Author Topic: "No Depression" folds  (Read 5430 times)

HoyaSaxa03

(o|o)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: "No Depression" folds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:07:00 am »
Does this mean Alt-Country is now "underground"? out of favor? dead and buried? sitting in a ditch beside the side of the road?
T.Rex

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:21:00 am »
I don't think alt-country/Americana is ever going to be the new mainstream. It's too authentic (sometimes in a forced nonauthentic manner) for the dumbed down masses (though they will go for the occasional O Brother novelty, if there's a big enough marketing push), and it's not hip and edgy enough for people who think hip and edgy are what makes for good music.

Yes, I realize that last sentence is long and possibly difficult to read. But try reading a mathematical research paper, and it's easy reading by comparison.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
i don't see any change, alt country is as it always was -  a bloated, stinking whale carcass that no one knows how to get rid of.

Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  I don't think alt-country/Americana is ever going to be the new mainstream. It's too authentic (sometimes in a forced nonauthentic manner) for the dumbed down masses
how pretentious.  and you claim not to be a hipster... you are, just an alt hipster instead of an indie hipster.  fyi, gangsta rap is also "too authentic for the masses".

my theory: alt country isn't popular because it's too derivative and predictable, even for the dumbed-down masses.
<sig>

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 10:47:00 am »
You talking about alt-country is about the equivalent of me talking about electronica.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by sweetcell:
  i don't see any change, alt country is as it always was -  a bloated, stinking whale carcass that no one knows how to get rid of.

Best YouTube clib EVER!  I find every single thing in that clip funny.  I can just imagine the light bulb going on in someone's head:  "Hey, Bob!  Remember that dynamite we confiscated a couple of years ago that we've never gotten a chance to use?"

"The humor of the entire situation suddenly gave way to a run for survival as huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere."

Brian

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 10:53:00 am »
no one reads magazines
o/\o

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 10:56:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  You talking about alt-country is about the equivalent of me talking about electronica.
agreed.

but since when has lack of authority stopped either of us?!?  :p
<sig>

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 11:04:00 am »
from the editor

The simple answer is that advertising revenue in this issue is 64% of what it was for our March- April issue just two years ago. We expect that number to continue to decline.

The longer answer involves not simply the well-documented and industrywide reduction in print advertising, but the precipitous fall of the music industry. As a niche publication, ND is well insulated from reductions in, say, GM's print advertising budget; our size meant they weren't going to buy space in our pages, regardless.

On the other hand, because we're a niche title we are dependent upon advertisers who have a specific reason to reach our audience. That is: record labels. We, like many of our friends and competitors, are dependent upon advertising from the community we serve.

That community is, as they say, in transition. In this evolving downloadable world, what a record label is and does is all up to question. What is irrefutable is that their advertising budgets are drastically reduced, for reasons we well understand. It seems clear at this point that whatever businesses evolve to replace (or transform) record labels will have much less need to advertise in print.

The decline of brick and mortar music retail means we have fewer newsstands on which to sell our magazine, and small labels have fewer venues that might embrace and hand-sell their music. Ditto for independent bookstores. Paper manufacturers have consolidated and begun closing mills to cut production; we've been told to expect three price increases in 2008. Last year there was a shift in postal regulations, written by and for big publishers, which shifted costs down to smaller publishers whose economies of scale are unable to take advantage of advanced sorting techniques.

Mobius

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 11:20:00 am »
Does this mean there is now 'some' depression?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 11:27:00 am »
Originally posted by Mobius:
  Does this mean there is now 'some' depression?
post of the week?
(o|o)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 11:33:00 am »
yes.  yes it is.
<sig>

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 12:00:00 pm »
Any musical phenomenon that requires more than a paragraph to justify kind of loses its claim on "authentic" right there in my humble opinion...  even though I do like some of that stuff.
_\|/_

beetsnotbeats

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »
Authenticity is an illusion.

slappy

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 03:19:00 am »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  no one reads magazines
Ignorant statement.

Working for a magazine publishing company pays all my bills.
 Newspapers, TV, and Radio all cut jobs last year.
 Only Magazines and Internet Media had positive growth in jobs.
 Overall magazine circulation is up over last year.

The ND editor's blame 'everything but the kitchen sink' excuse is pretty lame. Label advertising is the only real culprit. Printing and postage isn't up enough to significantly contribute.