Author Topic: really large people should have to buy 2 tickets  (Read 22598 times)

galactica761

really large people should have to buy 2 tickets
« on: January 06, 2009, 12:09:51 am »
look, i'm not being hateful or obscene or any of the things i agreed not to be when i clicked "i agree" to the terms of this forum.  but golly gee whiz, i've been at quite a few sold out shows over the past few months and i have to wonder if the rapidly expanding waistline of the average american is reducing the "sellout capacity" of smaller venues like the 9:30.  i'm not talking about a few extra pounds, i'm talking about really big, verging on or morbidly obese . . .on the way to becoming one of the estimated 200,000 americans that have difficulty moving around without assistance because of their weight.  it's more than a health crisis, it's super-size me epidemic epidemic.  for example, at gogol bordello on saturday (awesome, amazing show), there were three women front and center who were taking up at least as much space as six or seven normal sized people.  now, if someone is so large that they need to take up two seats on an airplane or train, that person has to PAY for a second seat.  sooner or later, the regulatory powers that be are going to figure out that 500 americans today take up a lot more room than 500 americans twenty years ago and the capacity for venues is going to be reduced.  nationwide, public transit systems have reported that they require more fuel and electricty to operate because of all the extra body weight trains and buses are carrying.   smokers have to pay a tax becuase of their addiction to nicotine, why shouldn't obese people have to pay more because of their addiction to food?  they consume more fuel, more electricity, more resources, and at the 9:30, they take up A LOT more space.  nor can they jump, dance, or otherwise contribute to the energy at the show.  call me un-pc, i don't care.  all i'm saying is that concert venues should take a cue from the airlines and charge these people double.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: really large people should have to buy 2 tickets
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 12:17:41 am »
Your ideas intrigue me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:18:57 am »
At Gogol on Saturday I was standing at the edge of the bar waiting by the door for my friend to call me so I could go out and give him his ticket and my view was abruptly obstructed by like 4 dudes and 2 chicks who were enormous. If they all stood next to each other it would be about 20 feet wide and they all somehow ended up in front of me blocking the stage.

Also really tall people should stand in the back. I always manage to get stuck behind the guy that's 7 feet tall.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:26:25 am »
Julian's America just found its VP.
احمد

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:26:51 am »
I'm not sure how I feel about the topic, but on a side note, I just thought I'd alert y'all to the fact that the porky midget has joined a band.

sonickteam2

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:36:03 am »
I like this thread so far.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 10:49:54 am »
I heard she's a terrible drummer, and Glasvegas are mediocre at best.

I'm not sure how I feel about the topic, but on a side note, I just thought I'd alert y'all to the fact that the porky midget has joined a band.

(_|_)

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:41 am »
It appears that she borrowed one of Vansmack's belts. I wonder if the ladies compliment her for her belt the way they compliment Vansmack.

I also have a funny joke related tying together this thread and another, but in the interest of good taste and good behavior, am going to refrain.

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 11:44:35 am »
skinny people that hate fat people are funny.
do americans just have to hate?
it is required at birth?
who can really mind one own's business?
are they themselves that perfect that a simple concert be as well?
perhaps an iq test is next at the door to see what "your" ticket price will be.
i like routine, one after another, to calm the storm of what i should become in dreams.

galactica761

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2009, 12:15:44 pm »
hey, please, this isn't about skinny people hating fat people.  it's about people being healthy, and how it affects us all economically when they aren't.  i am not "skinny" just normal sized.  i am far from a "perfect" person and i am certainly not advocating some sort of "beautiful-people" universe.  but i do think that the human body, although certainly much less capable than most other animals, is a beautiful thing and deserves respect and care.  and if an individual is blessed at birth with a healthy, intact body, it is that person's responsibility to take care of that body and use it to it's potential:  to walk, run, jump, stretch, play, and dance to keep healthy and alive.  to abuse oneself with chemical-laden, preservative-filled "food", with fast food, with simply too much food, and to be unable to move well as a result is to deprive oneself of his or her own potential to live life fully.  obesity IS an epidemic in this country.  and it is getting worse.  WALL-E could happen.  i watched a show on the learning channel the other night about TEENAGERS weighing over 600 lbs.  and they were in and out of the hospital all the time, having heart attacks, pulmonary edema, and all sorts of life-threatening complications--is that worth three extra large pizzas for breakfast?  and this epidemic is costing millions and millions of dollars a year in health care, not to mention higher rates for everyone.  our bodies are a gift and the movement of a healthy, active, normal sized body can be a great source of joy.  this is wht i am really advocating:  incentivising people to be healthy bu making it cost more if they aren't.  so how is that about hate?

btw, my iq is pretty damn high.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2009, 12:48:55 pm »
 I am perfect, and i love fat people.   :P

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2009, 12:56:10 pm »

I do think that the human body is a beautiful thing and deserves respect and care.  and if an individual is blessed at birth with a healthy, intact body, it is that person's responsibility to take care of that body and use it to it's potential:  to walk, run, jump, stretch, play, and dance to keep healthy and alive. our bodies are a gift and the movement of a healthy, active, normal sized body can be a great source of joy. 
oword

Sage 703

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2009, 01:17:46 pm »
Also really tall people should stand in the back. I always manage to get stuck behind the guy that's 7 feet tall.

Why?  I pay the same amount that you do.  I should get to stand wherever I want.

Certainly, I always try to be courteous as a tall person, and will do my best to let people who can't see step in front of me - but this gripe is obnoxious.  I can't control my height any more than you can.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:16 pm »
At least your courteous, most of the tall guys I encounter are fucking do's. I can respect how EVERYONE wants to be in front of the stage but sometimes it's just obnoxious and beyond frustrating when you try to look around him to the right and he leans to the right. So lame.
‼‼?‼‼