Author Topic: Gawd help me, I'm seeing the Pogues...  (Read 5616 times)

Ulsterfry

• I love music, Footy and mashed potatoes
Gawd help me, I'm seeing the Pogues...
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:04:46 pm »
Ok, I'll be honest here. I've seen thousands of shows in my lifetime. I ran away at 17 to see the Ramones in Cleveland, I've seen The Clash in their prime and I've even seen Sinatra drink an entire bottle of Scotch while on stage. But I have never seen the Pogues even though I've loved them since 1985.

I just bought two tickets to see the show in March and am very excited about seeing them finally. But what can I expect at this show? Will I emerge alive? Should I bring my 14 year old daughter? Scratch that, I need a designated driver and she can't reach the petals.

Any Pogues experts out there that wish to chime in?

azaghal1981

Re: Gawd help me, I'm seeing the Pogues...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:53:42 pm »
I've never seen them either and will be seeing them for the first time in March as well but based on what I've read, your main concern should be:
"Will Shane show up?"
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:58:41 pm »
It's a group of old men playing songs written 20+ years ago, led by a man who can barely stand up, has no teeth and doesn't need to worry about remembering the lyrics because he just kinda mumbles along. It'll be about as risky as seeing Peter Paul and Mary at the Birchmere. Not knocking it, the show I saw 2 years ago was good.
oword

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 03:14:25 pm »
I thought he got new teeth installed?
احمد

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 03:15:46 pm »
"Will Shane show up?"

"Which Shane?" is more important than "Will Shane?" and then you need to decide which Shane you want to see. Then are many folks out there who want to the theatrical version of Shane to tell the story of what happened when they saw the Pogues, not how good the Pogues were.
27>34

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 09:18:01 pm »
It's a group of old men playing songs written 20+ years ago, led by a man who can barely stand up, has no teeth and doesn't need to worry about remembering the lyrics because he just kinda mumbles along. It'll be about as risky as seeing Peter Paul and Mary at the Birchmere. Not knocking it, the show I saw 2 years ago was good.

You left out that being a St. Patrick's Day show, the level of douchery in the audience will likely be high.
_\|/_

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 10:12:05 am »
That's a good point. The bros will be out in full Miller Lite fury.
oword

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 10:14:08 am »
You floorboard has flowers on it?

Ok, I'll be honest here. I've seen thousands of shows in my lifetime. I ran away at 17 to see the Ramones in Cleveland, I've seen The Clash in their prime and I've even seen Sinatra drink an entire bottle of Scotch while on stage. But I have never seen the Pogues even though I've loved them since 1985.

I just bought two tickets to see the show in March and am very excited about seeing them finally. But what can I expect at this show? Will I emerge alive? Should I bring my 14 year old daughter? Scratch that, I need a designated driver and she can't reach the petals.

Any Pogues experts out there that wish to chime in?

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 10:21:21 am »
(o|o)

Ulsterfry

• I love music, Footy and mashed potatoes
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 08:18:37 pm »
Ok, so far here's what I know:

I can expect to see a bunch of old, angry men led (or not) by Shane MacGowan who may or may not have a new set of teeth in his gob through which he may or may not be able to mumble lyrics of songs he's sung for more than 2 decades. And I can expect to see this performance surrounded by people who are looking for the chance to brag about seeing the Pogues whilst being hammer-drunk on St. Patrick's day. And if that weren't enough, I will be transported to this show by a car (through my own spelling mishap) that has been converted into some kind of flower-car complete with pretty petals.

Am I straight on this? Boy am I glad I dropped $100 + on this show!!

Despite the naysayers among you I am still looking forward to seeing them. ;D

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 09:44:21 pm »
That's a good point. The bros will be out in full Miller Lite fury.

perfectly said :D
_\|/_

hutch

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 10:28:52 pm »
Ok, so far here's what I know:

I can expect to see a bunch of old, angry men led (or not) by Shane MacGowan who may or may not have a new set of teeth in his gob through which he may or may not be able to mumble lyrics of songs he's sung for more than 2 decades. And I can expect to see this performance surrounded by people who are looking for the chance to brag about seeing the Pogues whilst being hammer-drunk on St. Patrick's day. And if that weren't enough, I will be transported to this show by a car (through my own spelling mishap) that has been converted into some kind of flower-car complete with pretty petals.

Am I straight on this? Boy am I glad I dropped $100 + on this show!!

Despite the naysayers among you I am still looking forward to seeing them. ;D

seen three of their last four shows at the 930and enjoyed all tremendously...st pattys is going to be special...

i wouldn't be surprised if i'm there in the end..

SonicFormerYouth

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 12:49:55 am »
Doors open at 7...anybody want to guess what time they'll be on? (on Tuesday). Not that I want to kill anyone's St. P's day fun, but I'm just getting some people there and back that night, not staying for the show. Will I have to wait 4-5 hours or 9-10 hours?