Author Topic: Moby is the best we can do?  (Read 9549 times)

walkonby

Re: Moby is the best we can do?
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2009, 12:54:55 pm »
why all this moby hate?

he did that really weak MOB cover, and in his own mind sang for Flipper for a spell in the 80's.  He's legit!

two words

gwen stefani

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 02:25:55 pm »
No questioning whether or not Moby is legit, but I do recall reading that his claim of being apart of Flipper is a bit tenuous...   However, the claim of no longer being relevant can certainly be made, now that he used his brand name to become just another celebrity DJ.  For the amount of money he probably makes one would think he could show up with more barely adequate DJing skills and "James Brown Is Dead" burnt on to a CDR.   It's more important for him to jump around posing then being a DJ.   

Of course what I think is moot, seeing as the people there to seeing were having a great time....

This more has to do with the fact that with all of the leading musical acts whose egos would bring them DC bound, all we've gotten so far is Moby and Jay-Z.   I suppose the predicted madness maybe keeping some away....
T.Rex

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 03:27:20 pm »
why all this moby hate?

he did that really weak MOB cover, and in his own mind sang for Flipper for a spell in the 80's.  He's legit!

two words

gwen stefani
Please, as if you wouldn't let her lick your head.
‼‼?‼‼

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 03:32:05 pm »
What about Springsteen and Andrew Bird?

This more has to do with the fact that with all of the leading musical acts whose egos would bring them DC bound, all we've gotten so far is Moby and Jay-Z.   I suppose the predicted madness maybe keeping some away....

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 03:34:31 pm »
What about Springsteen and Andrew Bird?

Oh hadn't heard about Springsteen..   
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:21 pm »
why all this moby hate?

two words

gwen stefani
Please, as if you wouldn't let her lick your head.

walkonby

« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 04:22:00 pm »
oh wait a minute, the dog is black.  i guess i'm racist.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2009, 08:49:47 pm »
oh wait a minute, the dog is black.  i guess i'm racist.
The white guy does look disgusted by the black dog.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 11:18:33 am »
it appears that the moby thing is now sold out.  took less than 24 hours.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2009, 11:27:56 am »
cause moby's gonna tear it up, yo

i feel it, i feel it yeah!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2009, 11:33:15 am »
from productshopnyc...

If you're in DC, here's where to party:

American Music Urban Ball - Marriott Woodman Park Hotel - 1/20 Ludacris, Big Boi, Lil Jon, T-Pain, The Cheetah Girls and Cedric The Entertainer will make this one interesting jam.

American Music Legends Ball - Marriott Woodman Park Hotel - 1/20 Same location as the American Music Urban Ball, but in a different room. This shindig features George Clinton, Isaiah Washington, The Temptations and Chaka Khan (without Hot Chip backing her).

Hip Hop Inaugural Ball - Harman Center for the Arts - 1/19 Russell Simmons has rounded up LL Cool J, T.I., T-Pain, Akon and Young Jeezy, along with a slew of surprise guests for his bash.

"Dreams from My Father" American Scholars Inagural Ball - Four Seasons Hotel - 1/20L Cool J, Alicia Keys and host Macy Gray will host this classy shindig, which the President is scheduled to attend.

BET Honors Inaugural Ball - Warner Theatre - 1/17 Mary J. Blige and Magic Johnson.

History with Jay-Z - Warner Theatre - 1/19 You guessed it, Jay-Z will perform.

Demand in DC - Black Cat - 1/20 This low-key, open to the public show will feature Anti-Flag, United Nations and The AKAs.

The Big Shoulders Inauguration Ball - Black Cat - 1/19 Chicago's The Hideout takes over DC's Black Cat for a night of indie rock featuring Andrew Bird, Ted Leo and lots more.

RIAA Inaugural Charity Ball - Club Ibiza - 1/20 Nothing says selling out like performing at this shindig. Not surprisingly, Rihanna will perform.
(_|_)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2009, 11:34:30 am »
people really paid $35 plus fees to see Moby doing a DJ set??? What's wrong with the world today?
(_|_)

Christine Moritz

« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2009, 11:56:45 am »
If you're in DC, here's where to party:
And on a more (underground) dance-music tip, I've compiled this listing of Inauguration Weekend events on the District Soul forum:

http://www.districtsoul.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=16354

Bags

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2009, 12:27:07 pm »
people really paid $35 plus fees to see Moby doing a DJ set??? What's wrong with the world today?
Actually, $35 is not much more than a cover charge at a club (not in DC, but other cities).  While not my cup of tea, I thinik it's a perfectly reasonable price for an entire night of dancing and hanging out.

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2009, 01:02:56 pm »
if its more than a hit of ecstacy, i am out!