Author Topic: Bono's New York Times Op-Ed Column Launched  (Read 4316 times)

dave24

Bono's New York Times Op-Ed Column Launched
« on: January 11, 2009, 03:10:57 pm »
Ok, so it's been reported that the New York Times is struggling financially.  Well, newspapers in general...

In a move to sell a few more papers, they've brought in Bono.  His new op-ed column debuted today.  You can find it here, http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/11/opinion/11bono.html.

To me, at times it's like listening to an ex-jock talk about sports.  You don't really expect he'll always be gramatically correct.  But, he does offer some insight a trained journalist might not.  As you may expect.  I've expounded further in my blog.  You can find the rest of my reaction here, http://soundoffwithdave.com/2009/01/11/u2s-bono-joins-new-york-times/

I'd like to hear what others think about it his column - and feel free to comment about my take at my site.  I enjoy the feedback, good or bad.

Happy reading - I expect you'll enjoy Bono's thoughts more then mine   ;)
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 04:19:51 pm by dave24 »

vansmack

Re: Bono's New York Times Op-Ed Column Launched
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:40:40 pm »
Covered.

Not surprisingly, I found it better to listen to than to read.

27>34

dave24

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 03:52:17 pm »
Hmmm... well, there's an announcement posted in a 93-page thread.  So, it's not really "covered," as there's no link to the actual column, or a reaction.  I don't feel bad for not finding my way to your announcement, and definitely don't feel this thread to be a duplicate to yours...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
I've expounded further in my blog.  You can find the rest of my reaction here, <crap blog link>

I'd like to hear what others think about it his column - and feel free to comment about my take at my site. 

we've finally found who's more of an attention-seeker than bono: dave24.
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:35 pm »
Wow.  Geez, no need to get so defensive...
27>34

dave24

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 04:18:52 pm »
No worries Smack - but, it did seem you were on the offensive as you posted "covered" with a link to your thread.  My apologies if I misinterpreted that.

SC, really, I'm surprised nobody had posted the link to the NYT column, and no thread had begun.  Really, I'd like to hear what others have to say.  There ARE some good opinions and voices on this forum, and I wouldn't mind having some of them reply to either the column or my post.  Attention seeking? Not really... I get more traffic from random google searches than this forum.  But, I feel a part of this... so, I've invited you all to take a look at my musings.  If you enjoy it - great, if not - just as good.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2009, 07:00:59 pm »
Dave, I know you mentioned about lurking around for a few years but not sure if you are familiar with a certain anal retentive trait of most of the members here. They just love to let you know when you aren't the first to post something. Usually, it's not at all meant as any kind of attack. Just part of our anal retentive posting styles... or stools.

Dupek started it with posting an ancient gif but we all lost the link for that so we've settled on words only. Obviously, I can't speak for Smackie but I don't think he meant it as an attack.

dave24

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 12:25:10 am »
Cool - no worries... funny, I guess you don't lose lurker status without 1000s of posts, huh?  LOL  It's all good.

edbert

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 10:28:48 am »
Let me know when St Bono writes about doing these 19 year olds on his yacht on the French Riviera-

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 11:22:25 am »
updated:

<sig>

dave24

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2009, 11:29:46 am »
Let me know when St Bono writes about doing these 19 year olds on his yacht on the French Riviera-

I imagine that column would have to be titled, "Damn, I love being a rock star!!"

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2009, 11:31:12 am »
Bono is a good man. He'd never cheat on his wife.

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2009, 11:37:13 am »
He gets approached a dozen times a day by people saying, Bono, can we get a picture with you. From what I've heard, he's very friendly about it and usually agrees. For that reason, I'm going to assume that he is a perfectly faithful husband and family man.
oword

dave24

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2009, 11:41:05 am »
Bono is a good man. He'd never cheat on his wife.

I remember reading a couple of articles, not in the "tabloid" section of the web, that said one of these girls' families was friends with Bono's family.  I doubt anything really happened.  Anytime you read about his marriage it's in the context of how strong it is.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:18 pm »
wow and here i thought a search function button was actually added for a reason. its not like this board is updated so frequently thats its hard to keep up with new posts.
HeyLa