Author Topic: Ryan Adams is quitting music  (Read 3421 times)

Sage 703

Ryan Adams is quitting music
« on: January 14, 2009, 12:54:49 pm »
This bums me out.  I'm not surprised, but it bums me out nonetheless.

I've always felt Ryan Adams could just release what he wanted, and I was satisfied knowing I'd find bits and pieces that I loved, a lot that I generally liked, and some stuff that I could do without.  I always enjoyed listening to what he put out - so I hope this hiatus is short lived.  I know a lot of people couldn't stand him and said as much very vocally - and from the tone of this blog post, it sounds like eventually broke his will to keep making music:

http://cave.cardinology.com/post/70399338/me-34-a-non-smoker-and-happy-for-the-first-time

walkonby

Re: Ryan Adams is quitting music
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
i know everything he did he did for us.
but this, cuts like a knife.
i hope he'll always be right there.
but really, this is heaven.

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 01:16:45 pm »
bummer of the week, easily.

Shadrach

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 01:22:25 pm »

Swing and a miss. Wanted it to be funny, but it just wasn't.

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 01:29:18 pm »

an old joke, i know.  i'll continue to stroke my bat and shoot one out later.

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 01:42:02 pm »
If it's any consolation, Walkonby, I thought it was funny.

dave24

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 02:00:42 pm »
If it's any consolation, Walkonby, I thought it was funny.

I liked it... I somehow always like the Bryan Adams/Ryan Adams jokes. 

In fact, I usually like those more than Ryan Adams songs.
I guess Callat beat me to "first" while I wrote in my blog, so I don't get to annoy Julian with a new thread begun with my own link to soundoffwithdave.com   LOL

I'm not one of those who will miss Ryan terribly.  But, he's still young.  For those who will, I'm betting there'll be another chance to see him.

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 02:01:55 pm »
i just bought tickets for the show in Boston next month!

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 02:11:25 pm »
Ryan is one of those people who craves attention. He'll be back.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 02:18:54 pm »
I guess Callat beat me to "first" while I wrote in my blog, so I don't get to annoy Julian with a new thread begun with my own link to soundoffwithdave.com   LOL
Such things would annoy me alot less if you hyped them up like Head Roc and called your blog "stupid, dope fresh" and said your "commentary was unparalled."

eltee

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 04:00:30 pm »
i just bought tickets for the show in Boston next month!
He didn't say he is canceling the shows, right? In fact he mentions "enjoy the shows".
No more in DC area, but I thought to head to N'ville, perhaps.

I think he could come back...at least in some sort of music professional capacity (writing/producing only, etc.)
Well, at least he's taking care of himself. Inner ear stuff, not feeling well on a regular basis, is not fun.
Also, he's always been sort of on the edge and full of anxiety, it's good he's taking care of himself in the long run.

reggie

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 07:37:02 pm »
he finished a record without the cardinals about 3 months ago in LA. not sure if that's gonna get released or canned though (since he's been known to record albums and then not release em)

hoping that seth can book a show at the club before or after this string of dates;

February 20, 2009 Shubert Theater - New Haven, CT
February 21, 2009 Orpheum Theatre - Boston, MA
February 22, 2009 Wellmont Theater - Montclair, NJ
February 26, 2009 Missouri Theater - Columbia, MO
February 27, 2009 Uptown Theater - Kansas City, MO
February 28, 2009 Brady Theater - Tulsa, OK
March 2, 2009 Abraham Chavez Theatre - El Paso, TX
March 4, 2009 Majestic Theatre - San Antonio, TX
March 5, 2009 River Center Performing Arts Theatre - Baton Rouge, LA
March 6, 2009 Alabama Theatre - Birmingham, AL
March 6-8, 2009 Langerado Music Festival - Bicentennial Park - Miami, FL - Tickets Note: Cards on the 8th
March 9, 2009 Florida Theater - Jacksonville, FL
March 11, 2009 North Charleston Performing Arts Center - Charleston, SC
March 12, 2009 Township Auditorium - Columbia, SC
March 14, 2009 War Memorial Auditorium - Nashville, TN
March 15, 2009 War Memorial Auditorium - Nashville, TN
March 16, 2009 Palace Theatre - Louisville, KY
March 18, 2009 Minglewood Hall - Memphis, TN
March 19, 2009 Saenger Theatre - Mobile, AL
March 20, 2009 Fox Theatre - Atlanta, GA

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:45 am »
will he bore us again like her did at the DAR show?   ::)
(_|_)

eltee

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2009, 10:33:49 am »
I visited the site that is referred to as the ".org" -- the Ryan Adams (fan?) message board...First, their "board" is completely disorganized and after sifting through many topics about personal lives, Bruce Springsteen (out of left field?) and nonsense, I didn't see much about this topic. Surprising, I thought.
Yet, the one thread I did read, the initiator was blasted by others b/c most posters seem to be either sick of the topic, sick of Ryan's ambivalence, or it's just plain "old news". (this is all my opinion of what I read.)
I also read into some cryptic replies that may shed light into his blog: something about being broken up w/ via a blog and how that would suck...and another comment about how he's upset b/c [online] someone made negative comments and insinuations about him stumbling around on-stage recently...I don't want to spread false information, these were short posts I noted and they didn't offer much background. And since I don't frequent their forum, please don't take my comments as an interpretation of truth, or rumor, for that matter...)

Here is the article posted taken from NME w/ no link:

"Adams says now is the time to 'step back' from music"

Jan 14, 2009
Ryan Adams has announced he is leaving The Cardinals, the band he formed and has fronted since 2004.
Writing in a lengthy blog on Cardinology.com, Adams said that he will quit the band at the end of their current tour, which ends in Atlanta on March 20.

"Atlanta will be my last venture with the band," he wrote. "I am grateful for the time we have had and maybe someday we will have more stories to tell together. I am, however, ready for quieter times."

Adams hinted that he would be taking a step back from music altogether, saying that he has "a whole lot of living and learning to do" instead.

"Maybe we will play again sometime and maybe I will work my way back into some kind of music situation but this is the time for me to step back now," he wrote.

In their early days, The Cardinals also featured JP Bowerstock - the so-called 'guru' who taught The Strokes' Julian Casablancas, Nick Valensi and Albert Hammond Jnr to play the guitar.

The Cardinals officially released three albums together, although they also often played on Ryan Adams solo material, as well as 'Songbird', the 2006 album by by Willie Nelson, for which Adams was producer.

The band were handpicked by Noel Gallagher to support Oasis on their recent North American tour.

Writing on his blog, Adams dismissed the touring lifestyle as "soul destroying".

He wrote: "This is not much of a life; not glamorous like those ridiculous videos a long time ago television played. And no, it is not monetarily as rewarding as people would like you to believe. And yes, it is soul destroying. Especially when you spend your life trying to write about the really difficult stuff and you stand there losing your way and people yell at you like you were in a circus. When it was your dream to matter and you realise one day, it never mattered - I mean, I am a punchline and a footnote."

Adams is now set to release a book, called 'Infinity Blues', on April 1.

He has called the publication "the jewel of my life's work". "

eltee

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2009, 10:36:59 am »
will he bore us again like her did at the DAR show?   ::)
I wasn't bored, it was just longggg and "trippy". It was good up until a point. I actually thought the show at Patriot Center was a little boring. Not bad, but in comparison w/ DAR, it was just basic songs for an opening slot. It was fine though, respectful too, since, really, it was Oasis' show.