Author Topic: Be Sure to Congratulate Metallica When They're in DC  (Read 10834 times)

rich_WDC

Be Sure to Congratulate Metallica When They're in DC
« on: January 14, 2009, 04:53:37 pm »
http://www.rockhall.com/induction2009
ROCK & ROLL HALL OF FAME - 2009:
The performer inductees are:
Jeff Beck
Little Anthony & the Imperials
Metallica
Run-D.M.C.
Bobby Womack

Early Influence Category Inductee:
Wanda Jackson

Sidemen Category Inductees:
Bill Black
DJ Fontana
Spooner Oldham

dave24

Re: Be Sure to Congratulate Metallica When They're in DC
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 05:33:47 pm »
JEFF FREAKIN' BECK!!!!

that's all I have to say about that.

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 06:48:23 pm »
i really wanted to snag rerelease ticketmaster where did these come from tickets online for this, but since it was now and the amount of people in town and i guess some of the fans of the show can be questionable, but i'm having a hard time finding a band without that pleasure, i said well maybe not.  but metallica live to me i know would blow me the f away.  (rim shot to anyone needing to make a joke at that last part)

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 06:54:54 pm »
What are you, like 60 or smething?

JEFF FREAKIN' BECK!!!!

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 07:14:08 pm »
What are you, like 60 or smething?

JEFF FREAKIN' BECK!!!!

i was going to guess 23
(o|o)

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 07:49:06 pm »
Jeff Beck is an incredibly underrated guitarist.  I'm glad to see him get this (pretty much worthless) honor.

dave24

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 08:11:33 pm »
Somewhere between 23 & 60, but closer to 23... a long-time guitar player.  You just gotta listen to him.  His newer releases are just as good as his older ones.  Would you wonder any of the same things if I said ERIC FREAKING CLAPTON or JIMMY FREAKING PAGE, he was another of the original Yardbirds guitar players, along with Clapton and Page.  He's not as decorated, but possibly as good or better.  Take a listen for yourselves if you get a chance.  Jeff Beck rocks.  (his show at 9:30 around 2001 was one of the tougher tickets the club has seen)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:54:04 pm »
Jeff Beck is a legend, I'm not sure what "underrated" means in that context.

As for Metallica...  it's been hard to have any respect for them since Lars Ulrich's crusade against Napster.

_\|/_

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 09:00:27 pm »
how about NELS FREAKING CLINE?

I guess I'm just not into the whole guitar god thing.

My 58 year old father in law loves Jeff Beck though.

Somewhere between 23 & 60, but closer to 23... a long-time guitar player.  You just gotta listen to him.  His newer releases are just as good as his older ones.  Would you wonder any of the same things if I said ERIC FREAKING CLAPTON or JIMMY FREAKING PAGE, he was another of the original Yardbirds guitar players, along with Clapton and Page.  He's not as decorated, but possibly as good or better.  Take a listen for yourselves if you get a chance.  Jeff Beck rocks.  (his show at 9:30 around 2001 was one of the tougher tickets the club has seen)

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 09:20:42 pm »
how about NELS FREAKING CLINE?

I guess I'm just not into the whole guitar god thing.

My 58 year old father in law loves Jeff Beck though.

Nels is the best guitarist I've ever seen, and is probably my personal favorite.  I really want to get to one of his solo shows someday.

And when I called Jeff Beck underrated, I meant that he's a name that doesn't come up often enough when "great rock guitarists" are discussed.  I personally put him above guys like Hendrix, and think more people should as well.  Problem is, many people who are into "guitar gods" probably don't look to deep into the music Beck played.  The average classic rock loving kid is most likely NOT going to acknowledge the greatness of an album like Blow By Blow.  Which is a huge shame...

diediemydarling

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 04:28:47 pm »
spooner oldham rules!

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2009, 04:30:57 pm »
is the forum where all the threadjackers go to die?

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 10:44:02 am »
How was the show last night?
oword

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 10:53:11 am »
Is he still playing keys for the Drive By Truckers?

spooner oldham rules!

Vas Deferens

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 10:55:00 am »
Hard to assess a show when you are not that familiar with the band (I'm only familiar with the Black album). My buddy was very disappointed with the show due to the setlist. He said "nothing from St. Anger, nothing from Load, nothing from ReLoad...they basically just played all their '80s hits and ignored the albums that they've put out within the last 10 years. It's the same show from exactly 15 years ago. New songs are terrible."
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:57:58 am by Everybody Knows it's JOE »
(_|_)