Author Topic: Everything But Inauguration Roll Call  (Read 7030 times)

Samantha

Everything But Inauguration Roll Call
« on: January 15, 2009, 06:27:48 pm »
Who's NOT headed into the city for the Inauguration?

I'm not.  I've started boycotting DC since, well, tonight, my sis and I decided not to go see a show we were planning on.  The problem is I'm freaking out with boredom ALREADY, and I've even got Inauguration day off of school.  What the hell am I supposed to do with myself?  Any ideas as to something to do in other directions that is not Inauguration related?

Firebutt McGee

Re: Everything But Inauguration Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 06:33:45 pm »
Save up money and vacation days, and be in Austin from March 17th-22nd.

It's not inauguration-related, AND it keeps you preoccupied with planning, excitement, etc.
Woof.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2009, 06:35:33 pm »
I wish i have money for SXSW...but I plan to go to Coachella, Treasure Island, and Lolla this year.  ;D

Save up money and vacation days, and be in Austin from March 17th-22nd.

It's not inauguration-related, AND it keeps you preoccupied with planning, excitement, etc.
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2009, 07:16:08 pm »
i was really really close to going down to DC for inauguration, but recent economic realities and time constraints, let alone the hassle, have made it a no-go.  i'll definitely be watching on TV/online.

samatha: inauguration = you're limited in how far you can go, few businesses will be open, stuff is canceled, etc... sorta similar to a snow day, or snow days, minus all the white stuff (i.e. no sledding :'().  you've survived those, you'll survive inauguration...
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 07:26:13 pm »
Animal Motherfucking Collective in NYC!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

So psyched. Their club show in '07 is still one of the best shows I've seen there.
احمد

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »
DC is not bad yet travel-wise.   The ridiculously sucky traffic of the last few days eased up a lot when they moved Obama out of the Hay-Adams and reopened a couple of key downtown streets.   And even that suckage was only during rush hour.

So there's really no reason to boycott yet.  If you must boycott, Sunday would be a good day to begin.

_\|/_

Tom Servo

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 11:47:43 pm »
I think I'll be meandering around U St, maybe 18th.  I want to be out and about but maybe not buried in 2 million people...

eltee

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2009, 10:02:33 am »
you're limited in how far you can go, few businesses will be open, stuff is canceled, etc... ou've survived those, you'll survive inauguration...
Not to be nosey but from what I recall she's not in DC -- so why not go to the movies?
Are places really around the nation going to be closed? If not, there's plenty of museums in B'more or Philly or hell, NYC that you can head to and stay overnight. Or, go to a show in MD if there are any.
Either way, you'll be monopolized most of the day watching the telly anyhow.

Oh, and I'm stickin' to the burbs.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 10:05:55 am by El Tee »

eltee

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2009, 10:07:29 am »
DC is not bad yet travel-wise.   The ridiculously sucky traffic of the last few days eased up a lot
Sorry to hijack - but did the water leak on 7th get fixed? (sorry, I know I can look it up but I'm looking on the street reporting from Senior Reporter Doomer)

Samantha

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 01:48:18 pm »
I'm highly suspicious of going into the city this weekend.  I had sworn it off but I'm getting seriously antsy...but I'm paranoid about parking.

I'm way out in the Virginian suburbs (66 into the city).  Since everything is closed for MLK Day as well, I'd like to get out a little bit on the other days to ward off cabin fever.  I was hoping for suggestions as to specific interesting things within a day trip, if anybody's got anything?  Like museums or sights etc. that would be well out of the way of any Inauguration crap (so basically I have to go West and then North or South, nothing towards the East cause I'll have to go towards DC to get there).  Doesn't hurt to ask...

Plus I don't watch tv (or movies in the theatre).  If I see any Inauguration stuff it'll be later on, on the internets  :P

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 04:08:34 pm »
I'm highly suspicious of going into the city this weekend.  I had sworn it off but I'm getting seriously antsy...but I'm paranoid about parking.

i know this is anathema to car-loving suburbanites, but have you considered driving to the closest metro station, parking there, and doing the last few miles underground?  voila: no parking worries!!!
<sig>

eltee

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 04:45:33 pm »
Some of us depend on cars b/c most of us do not have a metro nearby. For some, there also isn't a bus system out where we are. So, we have to drive to a metro or bus transfer station. The lots are generally full, so you hop to the next station, which is full. So you move on and by the time you get closer to the city there is no lot, so one may as well continue driving. (I've lived here a long time.;))

Starting Sunday, I gather metro and it's parking may be f'ed.

Sam - sorry, I thought you were in MD on the other side...If you can get around I'd try Baltimore or PA. If not, west / south to Roanoke or C'ville or VB. Sorry, I'm not much help on what's going on elsewhere. I checked the Norva - nothing interesting...Good Luck!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 04:50:19 pm by El Tee »

Samantha

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 06:23:23 pm »
El Tee has it exactly.  The nearest metro station to me is AT LEAST 20 minutes away...and the drive into DC without traffic is at least 30 minutes.  At that point, might as well drive in...because the metro station is the very last on the line, so I have to ride it all the way (a lot more than a few miles).  It's not very timely and it's a hassle.  (And I'm entirely metro ignorant from never using it unless with someone who knows what they're doing.)  Then you add in the factor of safety of a young lady on her own in the middle of the night...

But I'm still considering metro if the parking there is going to be better than DC.  Blah.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 07:24:38 pm »
I'm telling ya, there's really no problem until Sunday.   There's nothing going on in the city's exurbs because there's never anything going on out there... so ya either gotta come into town or drive to Baltimore or Richmond, which would be way more time consuming than finding a parking space.

I mean, you could visit Luray Caverns or something if you're really determined about this.

I also have a parking space behind my house which I'll rent for a modest fee :)
_\|/_

hutch

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2009, 02:59:36 am »
my god the paranoia! there was hardly any traffic in town today!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2009, 01:58:19 pm by hutch »