Author Topic: Now! Music and Fashion is closing  (Read 7038 times)

jkeisenh

Re: Now! Music and Fashion is closing
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
The hippy hidden deep down inside of me dreams of opening a co-op record store, where everyone would own a share, and we'd get discounts, and could work hours there to get even more discounts...  
 This is what living in Madison for four years can do to you.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:
  The hippy hidden deep down inside of me dreams of opening a co-op record store, where everyone would own a share, and we'd get discounts, and could work hours there to get even more discounts...  
I would so go for this setup.  There was a co-op run  store in Portland that make me sit and wonder if it was a do able option.  I've post this hear before, but imagine having a place to hang on a crappy Saturday afternoon that just happened to sell records.
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by chimblysweep:
I hate hippies!
OU812

poorlulu

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  True to some degree, definitely. The rent/demographics/industry trends factors make it tough here.

But I heard that DCCD owned their building. While a warehouse-size Soundgarden type store probably couldn't make it in DC, a well run small indie shop like Spaceboy in Philly or Paul's in Pittsburgh (both around the size of DCCD, but are full of a strong sense of dedicated passion for music and an on-top-of-things stock), in the right location (maybe along U street somewhere?), I believe could make it.
dccd didn't own their building..........

u street is expensive over $40 per square yard a month........

bellenseb

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Ack, that is expensive. What about a side street just off the path, like DC9, or a second-floor location, like that hip-hop record store on U? I'd be shocked to hear all those carryouts and such are paying rent like that.

poorlulu

« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2004, 12:45:00 pm »
any of the newer things that are on u st are paying that much at least.........the other stuff are probably locked into leases or perhaps they own their spots.......i hope, for their sake at least.............

jkeisenh

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2004, 06:21:00 pm »
But there's always the possibility of finding someone somewhere who's into the idea that will give you space for cheaper.  I mean, look at the MacKenzie Center.  They have tons of space for their deal and they hardly have any income...

bellenseb

« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2004, 11:52:00 am »
So, if hypothetically, someone were to start up a new indie record store, what would your ideal one be? What range of stock, what type of atmosphere, layout, etc.

Be realistic - obviously no Amoeba-like shops.

markie

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 11:56:00 am »
  So, if hypothetically, someone were to start up a new indie record store, what would your ideal one be? What range of stock, what type of atmosphere, layout, etc.

Be realistic - obviously no Amoeba-like shops.
Recreate DCCD, carry less stock. A few more new releases. Dont bother with the vinyl. A good select second hand section. And dont have a miserable hipster behing the counter.

Actually, I think this means CD Warehouse in Georgetown is my ideal store.

brennser

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 12:09:00 pm »
And dont have a miserable hipster behing the counter.

amen brutha....part of the reason I like....yes, you guessed it.....Revolution Records   :D  

the people who work there have been very nice to me - can you imagine someone at DCCD helping someone with a stroller carry it up steps - I don't think so.....

Bags

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »

I hate CD & Game Exchange's set up -- though it's awesome not to flip through CDs (a pet peeve, becuase of used CD shopping, is CDs without the artist or album title on the front...).  However, having the display go to the floor makes for impolite kneeling and sitting on the floor....

Yeah, I guess like DCCD works for me.  Most important thing about atmosphere is that the staff is friendly and helpful, not too hip to assist or make recommendations.  That was DCCD's biggest problem in my opinion.

And I enjoy Olsson's staff recommendations with pretty detailed descriptions.  I'll bet I buy one every other visit to Olsson's...

bellenseb

« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 12:11:00 pm »
Less stock than DCCD? I swear, there were the same 10 CDs in Miscellaneous K for years. DCCD felt really -static-.

I'd like to see more used CDs and vinyl, create the feeling that digging around could net you a gem. More mags and zines, more offbeat DVDs. Write recommendation cards on new stuff and create the feeling that dedicated music lovers are picking and pushing the stock and are putting passion into the store.

A cross between Other Music and Atomic Books in Baltimore, say.

ggw

« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2004, 12:13:00 pm »
Franz Ferdinand is $11.99 at Olsson's.  But it's selling out fast. I had to go to two stores to get it.

Jacqueline may be one of the greatest album-opening tracks of all time.

Bags

« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
great heads up, ggw, thanks...

Random Citizen

« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
Okay...so before I walk over to the Dupont store, which stores did you visit?

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:
  Franz Ferdinand is $11.99 at Olsson's.  But it's selling out fast. I had to go to two stores to get it.

Jacqueline may be one of the greatest album-opening tracks of all time.