Author Topic: Now! Music and Fashion is closing  (Read 7598 times)

brennser

Re: Now! Music and Fashion is closing
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2004, 12:17:00 pm »
more offbeat DVDs. Write recommendation cards on new stuff  
Ollsons does a little of this but the point remains that its just very hard to make money on this - even if you stock offbeat DVDs the kind of people who will want them are probably obsessive fans who had them on preorder at amazon.com weeks ago and then you're stuck with an offbeat DVD noone wants

ratioci nation

« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by bellenseb:
  So, if hypothetically, someone were to start up a new indie record store, what would your ideal one be?
I want one just like DCCD is now, non-existant, it is saving me loads of money, and I just order what I really want from the labels.  Although if one opened again, I would probably be there fast.

ggw

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2004, 12:21:00 pm »
Originally posted by Random Citizen:
  Okay...so before I walk over to the Dupont store, which stores did you visit?

Rosslyn and Courthouse (Arlington).  It couldn't hurt to call.  Rosslyn had sold out of their three copies.  Courthouse had eight, but I think I got the last one.

Random Citizen

« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2004, 12:27:00 pm »
Called the Dupont store...they're out today, but will have copies tomorrow. I'm heading over as soon as they open.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2004, 12:38:00 pm »
  Called the Dupont store...they're out today, but will have copies tomorrow. I'm heading over as soon as they open.
good to know. . .i was gonna head over there during lunch.
OU812

mankie

« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2004, 12:43:00 pm »
'

Can't you reserve one with them? If you go as soon as they open it won't be out on the shelf, may not even be in the store if "Brown" hasn't delivered by then.

Random Citizen

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2004, 12:49:00 pm »
I did actually, but I figured others would want to know more copies were on the way.

Originally posted by mankie:
 Can't you reserve one with them? If you go as soon as they open it won't be out on the shelf, may not even be in the store if "Brown" hasn't delivered by then.

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2004, 12:57:00 pm »
I quite like CD Game Exchange.

There aren't really that many albums that come out that I like enough to pay full price for...maybe 10-15 per year...

But I like to discover new music and unearth underappreciated gems...and that's where the $1 racks at CD Game Exchange come in.

I just get something I've heard of and give it a try. If it's good, I've made a steal. If it's bad, I cell it at CDepot or Soundgarden or some out of town cd store for 3 or 4 bucks. Again, I've made a steal. If nobody wants the dam thing, I reckon CD Game Exchange would probably buy it back...they seem to be like Mikey, they'll take anything.

bellenseb

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2004, 01:02:00 pm »
I wish CD/Game wouldn't stick those awful difficult-to-remove stickers on the cases. And the locked glass cases are a bummer, too (of course you need to deter theft but it seems like overkill if you have a detector, and I bet they lose sales from people who don't bother browsing those racks).

Love the dollar racks though. I found In The Aeroplane Over The Sea at a Cd/Game Exhange dollar rack way back.

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2004, 01:10:00 pm »
Amen on the stickers. They're a bitch to get off.

I wish CD/Game wouldn't stick those awful difficult-to-remove stickers on the cases. And the locked glass cases are a bummer, too (of course you need to deter theft but it seems like overkill if you have a detector, and I bet they lose sales from people who don't bother browsing those racks).

Love the dollar racks though. I found In The Aeroplane Over The Sea at a Cd/Game Exhange dollar rack way back.

Bags

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2004, 01:16:00 pm »
Hmmm, maybe I need to go in and just check out the dollar racks....I tend to be compulsive when I record shop and go through every single rack...hence the 3 hour Amoeba trips.

Jaguär

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2004, 01:16:00 am »
I would prefer lots of choices of the Indie variety.

Also, if I'm making an afternoon/evening of it, I need a break. Create some listening stations in little café like areas so I can buy some over-priced coffee or something else to tide me over. Guess it wouldn't be a good idea to have food at the listening stations because of the food that some slobs would end up smearing all over everything. For that reason, stick an eatery over in some other nook. A tea salon would be nice.

Oh, and how can I forget!? Plenty of free parking!!!

bellenseb

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2004, 05:26:00 pm »
I just figure the only way a new indie shop could survive in DC is to be like anAtomic Books with an added emphasis on new and used music. DCCD proved you probably can't do well selling just new indie CDs (and $9 Collective Soul used Cds). The key is diversity of stock.

The kind of things Atomic stocks, along with an indie/underground music specialty shop, are underserved niches in DC.

Bags

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2004, 05:31:00 pm »
I think the thing with used CDs is that you have to have at least the shot at some really good bargains.  So I end up buying a variety of priced CDs, but feel like I 'won' because I got a couple for $3, a couple for $4, and paid $8 or $9 for others.  Hence the joy at the $1 CD & Game Exchange surprises.  You never had that chance at DCCD....

Because it's an investment of time to go through racks and racks of used CDs, a couple well caught bargains will likely lead to a larger overall sale.

Juliaz3

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2004, 06:15:00 pm »
I find that Olsson's has a lot of indie/alternative stuff.  
And Olsson's, although it's a "chain" is a small local chain. They seem to have a good selection of new CDs and they're really good about ordering things, too. Plus, I'm a book person so I like browsing their books.

I was thinking this weekend that I need to check out Revolution.