Author Topic: three songs only . . . and no bruce?? wtf oscar?  (Read 3710 times)

walkonby

three songs only . . . and no bruce?? wtf oscar?
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:11:06 am »
the song won the golden globe.  the song evokes the movie.  the song evokes a feeling that trumps anything else.  come the hell on.  first you dis pulp fiction, then brokeback, now this.  wow.

walkonby

Re: three songs only . . . and no bruce?? wtf oscar?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:36:21 am »
well that just seals the vote.  slumdog will win everything, except for mickey.  because of mumbai.  if the mumbai attack had not happened, most people would be saying, "slumdog what? oh yeah, that indian game show movie.  is that on netflix streamed from my xbox yet?"

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 10:40:40 am »
I gotta say, I am SO with you on this.

Angelina Jolie for the Changeling? Seriously?!??!!??!

Also, what the FUCK. The Reader wasn't all that damn good.

And where's the love for Happy-Go-Lucky?

Yeah, and Bruce should've been nominated for "The Wrestler".

I did love that Taraji P. Henson and Michael Shannon were nominated. And YES for Frozen River getting some oscar love.
Woof.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 10:45:18 am »
Kate Winslet won the Golden Globe for Revolutionary Road and wasn't even nominated for Oscar (though she was for the Reader).

Will Ben Button be this year's Gump and win it all over Slumdog?

I haven't seen any of these films so can't offer a real opinion.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 10:46:15 am »
Glad to see the MILK nominations and Penelope Cruz...  :-*

Sally Hawkins was snubbed...
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 10:48:22 am by Everybody Knows it's JOE »
(_|_)

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 11:06:35 am »
has a documentary film about the club ever been considered?  the history, both locations, seth, thatguy's life away from the club, the staff, a look at the fanatics that post here, the opinions of the u street/cordoza area locals about the club, anything else i have missed.  that would be super sweet.

Mobius

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 11:10:08 am »
I think its Benjamin Button.   A well done big budget emotional  'prestige' film from a team of Hollywood heavyweights.  Seems like a natural Oscar fit . . .a la Titanic and Gump. . .

Also, the Globes are awarded by the 'foreign press'.  I don't know exactly what that means, but it seems to be an advantage for Slumdog . . .whearas as Oscars are institutional Hollywood all the way.

Pulling for Mickey Rourke but would be surprised if he actually won.  I think Anne Hathaway deserves best actress.  Amazing performance in Rachel Getting Married.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 11:13:26 am »
Sally Hawkins was snubbed...

I knooooooooooooooooow!!!!

Also, it's nice that Milk was nominated, but there's not a chance in hell it will win. I mean, I rewatched it a couple of days ago, and it's good, but not great. I think I liked it a lot more in theory, than the actual movie. Also, I think it's time for a high-profile Stonewall movie.

---

Also, it needs to be Rourke/Hathaway for Best Actor/Actress. Where is the justice for great actors!?!?
Woof.

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 11:24:10 am »
the only problem with milk, was that the people playing gays weren't gay.  down with gay for pay!  gay for pay is the new black face.  down with it. 

hutch

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2009, 11:47:19 am »
I can't look at Mickey Rourke. he looks like a freak.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2009, 03:33:26 pm »
How sad... the academy left leo and kate far behind for revolutionary road which should have gotten them some acting noms. but kate should win it for the reader. shes immensely talented and they always overlook her.

more depressing is the fact that they didnt nominate aronofsky. the wrestler was an awesome film. darren isnt totally hollywood so maybe thats the problem. he works the system to his own advantage. at least mickey got a nomination out of it, and hopefully a win!
HeyLa