Author Topic: 00's Superlatives  (Read 23122 times)

Firebutt McGee

Re: 00's Superlatives
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2009, 05:16:11 pm »
Danger Mouse would be a GREAT nomination.

Not to mention, his near flawless track record in terms of production. You could also refer back to how he's been influential in making a lot of those retro organ sounds and throwback songwriting in general, popular again.
Woof.

Relaxer

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2009, 05:17:59 pm »
Brian Eno?

I agree with Danger Mouse though. He's been innovative and is riding a lot of the modern/current trends and such.

Jay-Z to me is a 90s dude. The Blueprint is the only 00's album that will be remembered. His whole "executive" sabbatical hurt his momentum, along with those shitty albums he put out.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 05:20:05 pm by Relaxer »
oword

Sage 703

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2009, 05:46:48 pm »
Brian Eno?

I agree with Danger Mouse though. He's been innovative and is riding a lot of the modern/current trends and such.

Jay-Z to me is a 90s dude. The Blueprint is the only 00's album that will be remembered. His whole "executive" sabbatical hurt his momentum, along with those shitty albums he put out.

With Eno?  Sure - if people are going to claim the Arcade Fire is in the discussion on the back of two albums, I can claim Eno is as a producer on the back of U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind and Coldplay's Viva La Vida on their own.  When you add to that the forthcoming U2 album, his collaborations with Paul Simon and David Byrne, his solo material, etc etc - he can absolutely be talked about.  Not to mention all of the things he has partial credits on for the decade.

As for Jay-Z, I just think you're wrong.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2009, 05:58:11 pm »

yeah, this is flat-out wrong.

to expand a bit:  i'm really not that plugged into hip-hop, but being influential in that world doesn't just mean releasing big albums, it means producing, guest tracks, mixtapes, remixing, running a label, finding new talent, etc, etc, etc ... lil wayne was one of the biggest rappers in the world in the couple of years leading up to his last album - released in summer 2008 - because of all the mixtapes and guest appearances

jay-z pretty much owned hip-hop in the 00's (gave kanye his break, etc) ... kanye was hot on his heels
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:05:02 pm by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

Sage 703

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2009, 06:10:03 pm »
I'm curious who you guys would nominate as the most relevant male and female musicians of the 2000's?

I guess my criteria for this would be someone who has managed to maintain a steady stream of influence and buzz around them, primarily for their music.

I *would* nominate Amy Winehouse, but it's really no longer about her music, is it?

Can I nominate a band?  If so: Radiohead.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2009, 06:12:18 pm »
I'm curious who you guys would nominate as the most relevant male and female musicians of the 2000's?

I guess my criteria for this would be someone who has managed to maintain a steady stream of influence and buzz around them, primarily for their music.

I *would* nominate Amy Winehouse, but it's really no longer about her music, is it?

This, to me, is a situation where the criteria really matters.  I would consider Radiohead as the _best_ band of the decade, but not as the most relevant/influential.  They're off on their own island.
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2009, 06:14:28 pm »

Alicia Keys
Norah Jones
Avril Lavigne
Britney Spears
(o|o)

Sage 703

« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2009, 06:15:24 pm »

This, to me, is a situation where the criteria really matters.  I would consider Radiohead as the _best_ band of the decade, but not as the most relevant/influential.  They're off on their own island.

Interesting.  I think it also comes down to how you define relevance.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2009, 06:19:50 pm »

Interesting.  I think it also comes down to how you define relevance.

True, but "relevance" is kind of a weasel word.  Who did the Radiohead of the 00's influence?  Not a rhetorical question, I just can't think of anyone off the top of my head.

Whereas the Strokes were enormously influential (on both sides of the pond), but only put out one great album.  Same with Amy Winehouse, although I never really followed that white-girl neo-soul revival thing, someone else might have been the spark there.
(o|o)

BookerT

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2009, 06:35:49 pm »
i think radiohead were plenty influential. maybe not in the same way as the strokes, who spawned countless imitators in terms of actual sound. but radiohead was a very popular band that played, y'know, guitar rock, then completely revamped their sound and changed directions, and it was then that they went from being radiohead to RADIOHEAD OMGO OMGOMGOMG!!!!! that artistic free will, or whatever you wanna call it, will have a more lasting influence than a particular "sound" that gave us the vines and the cribs. everyone pretty much looks to radiohead for "what comes next," that's not really the case with any other band.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2009, 06:42:25 pm »
i think radiohead were plenty influential. maybe not in the same way as the strokes, who spawned countless imitators in terms of actual sound. but radiohead was a very popular band that played, y'know, guitar rock, then completely revamped their sound and changed directions, and it was then that they went from being radiohead to RADIOHEAD OMGO OMGOMGOMG!!!!! that artistic free will, or whatever you wanna call it, will have a more lasting influence than a particular "sound" that gave us the vines and the cribs. everyone pretty much looks to radiohead for "what comes next," that's not really the case with any other band.

that's a good point, and they could be looked to later down the line as first big band that changed the industry's business model

they were pretty much done with "guitar rock" by the 00's, though... their transformation happened in the 90s
(o|o)

Sage 703

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2009, 06:42:30 pm »

Seconded.  

I'd add that releasing "In Rainbows" for free is a HUGE influence on what will come next in the music industry - just look at the big time artists that followed them down that path after they broke the door down.

Sage 703

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2009, 06:42:55 pm »
they were pretty much done with "guitar rock" by the 00's, though... their transformation happened in the 90s

Not quite - Kid A was released in 2000.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2009, 06:44:04 pm »

do they play guitar on Kid A?

"O'Brien began to keep an online studio diary of the band's progress.[19] He later described Radiohead's change in style during this period: "If you're going to make a different-sounding record, you have to change the methodology. And it's scary?everyone feels insecure. I'm a guitarist and suddenly it's like, well, there are no guitars on this track, or no drums".[9] Drummer Phil Selway also found it hard to adjust to the recording sessions.[9]"
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kid_A
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:46:24 pm by HoyaSaxa03 »
(o|o)

Sage 703

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2009, 06:46:17 pm »

do they play guitar on Kid A?

Sure - there is guitar on all of their albums.  But I think common opinion is that Kid A is when Radiohead took the huge creative left turn.