Author Topic: 00's Superlatives  (Read 23123 times)

eltee

Re: 00's Superlatives
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2009, 01:08:55 pm »
Good call, El Tee. i'd put Josh Ritter in there too. If I hand to rank them, it would be:

Rouse
Ward
Case
Lekman
Ritter
Bird
Sexsmith
Benson

Bobby Bare Jr. would also be close.

From this list, i'll take Jens and M. Ward, and add Neko Case and Josh Rouse with Andrew Bird and Ron Sexsmith slightly behind them. Brendan's Lapalco was phenomenal, but his followup was average, and his debut was from the 90's. I pretty much don't care for anybody else on your list, sari.

Best Pop/Rock Songwriters of the Decade
Carl Newman
Jens Lekman
Ted Leo
John Darnielle
Matt Pond
Brendan Benson
John Vanderslice
M. Ward
Charlie, thoughts on Josh Ritter?

Ha! I later thought if I had missed Sexsmith or Bare, Jr. on your list...nice. I'm surprised, not necessarily in a bad way, that Rouse is your #1.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2009, 01:15:15 pm »
Rouse's later work is rubbish.

I'll also add Sondre Lerche. I agree with Lekman, Ritter, Bird, and Sexsmith.
(_|_)

Relaxer

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2009, 01:31:58 pm »
I predicted about a year and a half ago that M.I.A. was eventually going to be a massive international superstar and not only do I continue to stand by that, but I think she's well on her way (when I made my daring, handsome prediction before, "Paper Planes" hadn't blown up yet). At the very least, she'll be at Bjork's or Gwen Stefani's level, but I think she'll eclipse both of them and approach Madonna levels.

She's got a unique mashed-up ethnic vibe and look that the girlies will emulate and the men will get boners over. She's shown a willingness to experiment madly with her sound, which is already an interesting mix of world, hip-hop, indie and pop. And because of her influences and ethnicity, she could play hugely in a lot of developing markets.

And, hell, her music is really good.
oword

Sage 703

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2009, 01:51:20 pm »
At the very least, she'll be at Bjork's or Gwen Stefani's level, but I think she'll eclipse both of them and approach Madonna levels.

I appreciate the boldness of this prediction, but I don't think there is a chance in hell of this happening.

« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Id say his last two are listenable and decent. The three prior, culminating in Nashville, were brilliant. So to me, he had three brilliant albums this decade, and no other singer songwriter did.

Rouse's later work is rubbish.

I'll also add Sondre Lerche. I agree with Lekman, Ritter, Bird, and Sexsmith.

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2009, 03:34:52 pm »
He read it in a foreign newspaper, it must me true.  :D

At the very least, she'll be at Bjork's or Gwen Stefani's level, but I think she'll eclipse both of them and approach Madonna levels.

I appreciate the boldness of this prediction, but I don't think there is a chance in hell of this happening.