Author Topic: Thievery Corp start & end times?  (Read 11567 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Thievery Corp start & end times?
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2009, 03:21:11 pm »
Sounds like it's the band who are pussies if they are dependent on the audience to put on a good show.

A great band will play a great show regardless of audience!

methinks that statement is assinine and/or constitutes trolling. the performance of a self-centered band that doesn't care about the audience won't vary from night to night.  most performers are on stage to interact with an audience, share their music, etc.  even the old 97's (aka the greatest band in the world, right?) would feel awkward if no one clapped after a song.
<sig>

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2009, 03:28:28 pm »
Methinks you are an idiot sometimes.

Oftentimes you will read about a band who will give it their all regardless of whether they are playing in front of 10 people or in front of many more. Methinks that's my kind of band.

Sounds like it's the band who are pussies if they are dependent on the audience to put on a good show.

A great band will play a great show regardless of audience!

methinks that statement is assinine and/or constitutes trolling. the performance of a self-centered band that doesn't care about the audience won't vary from night to night.  most performers are on stage to interact with an audience, share their music, etc.  even the old 97's (aka the greatest band in the world, right?) would feel awkward if no one clapped after a song.

walkonby

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »
methought that trolling was a description of ugly, older gay guys lurking at those roadside rest areas.  you know, i'm gay, and even i am upset with the fact that a guy can be driving and having to pee bad, stop at one and have to endure the feeling of a sense like you are being watched by some creepster in their car, who just happens to get out and "need" to use the bathroom when you walk in.  whatever, gross bitch. 

you know i really like that music store in dupont; damn, i forgot the name.  very cramped and narrow aisles, with great selection, but i hate places that buy back used stuff because the people at the counter trying to hawk the crap are annoying.

walkonby

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 04:57:34 pm »
you know, each one of these bands may or not may not fall in the same genre-ated catergory, but does thievery corp or lcd soundsystem or daft punk have anything "one legged up" on their competition?  such as one is better live, the other is better root based in a preconceived style, one is prettier and very much more doable; you know, the basics?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 05:34:14 pm by walkonby »

Tom Servo

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2009, 05:35:19 pm »

There was a bit of annoying mic feedback off and on, but I really enjoyed the show overall.  I thought the sound was pretty good from where I was up close on the right.  It was only the second time I'd seem them in the club though so maybe they can do much better.  I do wish the crowd had found a better energy level somewhere between last night's head bobbing and screaming out every line of every song, as the guy behind me was most of the night. 

freakoretardo

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 10:27:30 am »
Hmmmmm... yeah ... I thought the show started off pretty interesting and enjoyable last night, but then slowly became pretty bad IMO. I left after an hour. Not for me.

The drummer singing was the final straw.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 11:03:33 am »
over the years, TC's performances have had their ups and downs so it's disappointing to hear that TC's latest show is only so-so... i thoroughly enjoyed their performance this summer at merriweather, one of their best in recent memory (i've seen them 6 or 7 times).  hopefully they'll learn from these early shows what is and isn't working, and by the time they hit philly (they show i might attend) they'll be back in stride.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 11:06:28 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 11:10:39 am »
That's probably because the gay world is full of looksist, commitment phobic,youth obsessed morons who could give a shit about their peeps who get old and lose their looks. Since those old guys don't get any loving in the conventional ways, they have turn to the nastiness you describe... Just look at poor old George Michael.

The straight guy equivalent is going to a prostitute.

methought that trolling was a description of ugly, older gay guys lurking at those roadside rest areas.  you know, i'm gay, and even i am upset with the fact that a guy can be driving and having to pee bad, stop at one and have to endure the feeling of a sense like you are being watched by some creepster in their car, who just happens to get out and "need" to use the bathroom when you walk in.  whatever, gross bitch. 

you know i really like that music store in dupont; damn, i forgot the name.  very cramped and narrow aisles, with great selection, but i hate places that buy back used stuff because the people at the counter trying to hawk the crap are annoying.

Bags

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 12:00:20 pm »
What's the best TC album to listen to in order to prep for their show/get a good sense of them?  Can't say why, but they have passed me by though I've wanted to see them.  Finally am doing so Friday...

Relaxer

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:45:46 pm »
Just look at poor old George Michael.

Wait... what... wh-why would you say such a thing? I don't know, I'm going to stand over there now.
oword

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 02:24:23 pm »
What's the best TC album to listen to in order to prep for their show/get a good sense of them?  Can't say why, but they have passed me by though I've wanted to see them.  Finally am doing so Friday...

since this is the "radio retaliation tour", i'd suggest giving their latest album - "radio retaliation" - a listen.  as for what other album(s) to listen to, i suspect we could have a lot of debate about that.  because of personal history, my pers fav is "sounds from the thievery hi-fi", but any/all of the first four albums are worthy of your attention (and bound to figure on the set list).
<sig>

lily1

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 03:23:15 pm »
the show was much much much better last night. sound was great, more energy on stage, more energy in the crowd.

very good time indeed!

i'll chalk tuesday up to an off night all around.

bags, i own all their stuff (plus nearly everything else on the esl label) so if there's anything you'd like a copy of, let me know and i'm happy to get to you.

azaghal1981

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 03:29:57 pm »
Tempted to go again either tomorrow or saturday now.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 03:36:07 pm »
I had no problem with the sound on tuesday though there was a problem later on with the mic.

I just can't stand the drummer singing (he did at least 3 songs), LouLou (she bugs the hell out of me, plus her voice is blah).

I do like the dub reggae stuff and that Colombian guy looks and sounds funny. I also like Natalia and Carinna.

(_|_)

Tom Servo

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
The drummer's not a terrible singer necessarily, he's just a fill in for a series of guest singers.  The question is why they choose to do all those songs when they have so many others to choose from...