Author Topic: Slacks are the devil, please help!  (Read 12398 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Slacks are the devil, please help!
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 11:10:35 am »

At least you're not on the dole.

waste water treatment is a pretty recession proof industry!

I like the Brooks Brothers idea, I have bought a couple suits from them and theres one within walking distance to my house. :)   I have thought about just dress pants and a tie everyday but people look at you strange when you do that.

Ugh just  a shirt and tie is far too much used car salesman for me, it should be all or nothing... but it's fine to take off the jacket when at ones desk....

really?  I sometimes go with the jacket, but truth is, I have some dress pants that dont have matching jackets. Plus, wearing a jacket makes my bosses uncomfortable because I would dressed nicer than they.

I have a few blazers but i usually wear jeans with them.   I will check Old Navy, too.  Its just that by summer I will be at a new dirty plant so I wont wear these but for a few months.

Now a tie with slacks and a short sleeve shirt, thats used car salesman to me!

should clarify that i meant a suit jacket in that scenario... unless it was blue blazer, i've never been much of a dress jacket + dress pants combiner... it was usually just suits

also based on some of what was seen at inaugural events the three piece suit is making a comeback, although the vest seems to more stylish then in the past.   

here's hoping they never bring back the five piece suit...
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 11:19:14 am »
When looking at ?doubtful things," we need to use Scripture in context for the principles that will help us walk as believers, which means considering the dispensation and the whole counsel of God and not taking passages out of context.

OFF TOPIC: this passage is one of the funniest things i've heard a christian "scholar" write in quite some time.  as if christians have ever interpreted scripture out of context...  ::)

back to the topic of slacks... a few months back i needed to stock up on work pants and bought several pairs of J. Ferrar's at Macy's.  i have no idea who this person is, but his pants are perfectly functional, un-pleated, relatively cheap standard-issue slacks that are machine-washable.  that last point is a big plus.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2009, 11:22:50 am »
Yeah, no shit on the machine-wash. I hate it when I find a great pair of pants, they fit great, they're on sale, the stars are aligning, and then the needle scratches over the record when I see the "DRY CLEAN ONLY FUCKER" tag.
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2009, 11:39:38 am »
now we're really gonna make Julian mad!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 11:48:59 am »
dude, at this point he won't even dignify this thread with a response.  we are waaaaay below his radar.
<sig>

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2009, 11:50:27 am »
I dunno, the dry clean only pants last longer and look nicer. Especially when they put that nice crease in it for you.

Dry cleaning denim is dumb, but I give the dry clean only pants the thumbs up. It's not like you have to dry clean them every time you wear them.

Relaxer

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2009, 12:10:50 pm »
True, if you're homeless or a meth head
oword

sonickteam2

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2009, 12:12:00 pm »
dude, at this point he won't even dignify this thread with a response.  we are waaaaay below his radar.

can i rename this thread, "Sonick's Canada"?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2009, 12:38:24 pm »

can i rename this thread, "Sonick's Canada"?

Only if you pledge to adopt the dress slacks + tie + hockey jersey look
T.Rex

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
We do "business casual" at my office, which basically means, no jeans, t-shirts or sneakers.

I almost always wear cords or khakis of varying earth tones, lately by J Crew since thieir cuts fit me the best these days.  Always flat front, never boot cut, usually in whatever they are calling the "slim fit" that week.

When jeans are not an option, cords (please not wide wale they make you look like an asshole) are then next best casual pants and will usually fly in most dress code scnearios that draw the line at jeans.

Bags

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »
FLAT FRONT is a MUST.

Also, I agree on dry clean.  The pants look nice.  Quite a few of the washable pants need to be ironed, which is a pain in the tuckus and why very few guys do it and then look messy.

I have to say, though, Rhett/Charlie's first post has me cracking the hell up.  He's definitely defined a category:

Dad slacks = Mom jeans  (I'm just assuming y'all are familiar with "mom jeans" http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mom+jeans)

vansmack

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2009, 01:23:31 pm »
Interesting discussion.  From god knows when until the start of this year I was a suit only guy at work, jeans only away from work.

My colleague and I discussed going business casual for 2009 for both cost savings and to be a little more environmentally friendly. So I went to Ben Sherman (we have a store here locally) and bought a few pairs of slacks that were on sale (flat front of course, one light gray, one dark grey with pinstripes and one navy - like Kosmo, I stay away from tan/khaki).  They look great the first day you wear them, but as sonick points out, they wrinkle very easily and are dry clean only (my bad on that one).  The problem with non-dry clean is I'll be damned if I'm going to iron...

So we switched it up pretty quickly.  Jeans are now OK for days when we don't have meetings if you wear them with a blazer/sportcoat of some kind (I have a medium gray seersucker blazer from Guess and the most bitchen dark brown felt blazer that I picked up in Poland) and a button down - no t-shirts.  Friday's are whatever you'd like days.

It sucks that you can't wear jeans because a nice pair of designer jeans and a blazer (just don't buy a "yacht blazer") is not a bad look.  Our boss has actually preferred it to the slacks and button down.   
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2009, 01:47:21 pm »
I am torn on the dry clean thing.  I mean, I have to dry clean my suits and cashmere, and my wife dry cleans many of her items.

Also, there is a dry cleaner on the next block from my house so its ultra-convenient.

Ironing is out of the question. It just wont happen.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
I actually ENJOY ironing my clothes. I mean really, how much easier of a household chore is there?

But please don't bother sending me yours.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2009, 02:03:35 pm »
my J Ferrars are wrinkle-free/no-iron.  i've been wearing them for 3-4 months and they still look good.  now that i think of it, i need to go back and (hopefully) grab a few more pairs - too many times i've found great pants once and was unable to ever find them again.

on color: what are people's feeling on black?  about half of my slacks are black, which might be a function of my button-down collection that goes well with black pants (or, alternately, my misplaced belief that black will make my fat ass look slimmer).
<sig>