Author Topic: 20th annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards  (Read 7319 times)

Chulahoma

20th annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards
« on: January 31, 2009, 04:54:39 pm »

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: 20th annual Pollstar Concert Industry Awards
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 05:01:04 pm »
for sure and this is an industry award
T.Rex

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:40:31 pm »
trivia question: when was the last year the club wasn't nominated?

ok, unfair to call that a trivia question since i don't actually know the number.  DC is spoiled for having the 930.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 05:45:03 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

eros

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 07:56:41 pm »
DC is spoiled for having the 930.

For sure.  Congrats!
ʎɐʍou

hutch

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 03:06:50 am »
I really think the 930 club is the best club in the country...

i mean they could stand to make their beer prices more reasonable (and relax a bit about people taking pictures or even filming video)..but other than that its the perfect club..i consider myself lucky to have it but a few blocks away and i've been going since they opened at the new location (and before)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2009, 06:16:57 am »
trivia question: when was the last year the club wasn't nominated?

i did some research to satisfy my own curiosity.  here's what i found:

*the pollstar awards added the category of "nightclub of the year" in 1989. 

*the club was first nominated for the category in 1992.

*since 1992, the only year the club was not nominated was 1994.

*the club has won nightclub of the year 6 times.  1997, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2007, 2008.

*i started working at the club in 1997.  i'm not saying that there's a connection, but it was the beginning of our winning era. ;)

in addition to all of that, seth and IMP have many nominations and awards in the booking/talent buying/promoter categories.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2009, 10:15:58 am »
I really think the 930 club is the best club in the country...

i mean they could stand to make their beer prices more reasonable (and relax a bit about people taking pictures or even filming video)..but other than that its the perfect club..i consider myself lucky to have it but a few blocks away and i've been going since they opened at the new location (and before)

you do realize it's the artists not the club that put those restrictions in place
T.Rex

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 10:24:24 am »
congratulations!

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2009, 11:28:39 am »
maybe it is just me, but i have a hard time believing award exclamations, or polls, or lists in magazines that say this album or this place or this artist was the "best" or "worst" of the year.  what is the real reason the club wins?  there is no explanation given at all?  what does it have, what does it offer that every other club in the entire united states does not?  the fact that it is in dc?  or is it like american idol, where people just cast votes because of local influenced opinion or some "brand name = great."  don't get me wrong, i love the 930 club.  they get acts that other venues will not bother with at prices that are usually great.  but the best in the entire nation?  do the people who nominate and vote on these choices visit every single nightclub in every town of every state to judge the differences?  there aren't even any reasons given why it is so great.  no offence seth, but i went to The National in richmond, and in my opinion, it was just like 930.  a great club with more bars, better sight lines, newer, catering to the crowd more than 930 (they have an outside patio area for smokers that has it's own bar), and in a better neighborhood surrounded by restaurants, hotels, and stores.  but i guess because it is in richmond and not a "major on the map" city like dc it does not count.  perhaps 930 is the best in the u.s. . . . but for some reason i feel it wins years after year only because of the name, like a new cbgb's, where the image of place is more important than the place itself.  you may begin hurling bricks now.   

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 11:45:23 am »
Congratulations to the 9:30 club.

Here is a question I am hoping someone in the know can answer.

Has the club recently reduced capacity or started selling fewer tickets?

I've only been going to the 9:30 since moving here about 3 and a half years ago, but it seems like in the past year or so sold out shows are much more comfortable than they used to be.

When I first started going, it seemed like sold out shows would be absolutely packed solid upstairs and downstairs.  More recently, it seems like even for sold out shows, there is a decent amount of room on the main floor, and upstairs as well.  The recent Theivery shows are a great example of that (and I did not go on a night with bad weather).

It is possible that the smoking ban has had an effect on this, with the crowd more in flux as people step outside to smoke, but it seems to be more than that. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 12:41:43 pm »
Congrats!
احمد

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:52:45 pm »

people are thinner

MonkeyPants

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2009, 12:56:33 pm »

I've only been going to the 9:30 since moving here about 3 and a half years ago, but it seems like in the past year or so sold out shows are much more comfortable than they used to be.

When I first started going, it seemed like sold out shows would be absolutely packed solid upstairs and downstairs.  More recently, it seems like even for sold out shows, there is a decent amount of room on the main floor, and upstairs as well.  The recent Theivery shows are a great example of that (and I did not go on a night with bad weather).

It is possible that the smoking ban has had an effect on this, with the crowd more in flux as people step outside to smoke, but it seems to be more than that. 

I don't know about that, but I do know that the club adjusts capacity based on how many tickets they sell before the box office opens.  Also, for sold out shows, they probably have a bunch of set asides for bands, the promoter, press, etc.  Plus, you have to figure some people don't show up or leave.  I've seen tons of people leave sold out shows based on the length of the show, the lackluster performance, and other reasons.

Congrats to the club.  I couldn't agree more.  Although I do hope they will reconsider the recently raised prices of beverages - don't you know that there's been deflation?  Prices should be the same or going down - not up.
PANTS

hutch

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2009, 01:42:53 pm »
see other post..further down..deleting the content on this

« Last Edit: February 01, 2009, 01:50:43 pm by hutch »

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2009, 01:43:38 pm »

I don't know about that, but I do know that the club adjusts capacity based on how many tickets they sell before the box office opens.  Also, for sold out shows, they probably have a bunch of set asides for bands, the promoter, press, etc.  Plus, you have to figure some people don't show up or leave.  I've seen tons of people leave sold out shows based on the length of the show, the lackluster performance, and other reasons.

Congrats to the club.  I couldn't agree more.  Although I do hope they will reconsider the recently raised prices of beverages - don't you know that there's been deflation?  Prices should be the same or going down - not up.

Quite a few people did walk out right at the start of last night's Thievery show due to the unexpectedly high volume/pummeling bass according to the friend I was with who ran downstairs to get earplugs.
احمد