Author Topic: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)  (Read 45411 times)

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
Re: Ticketmaster/Live Nation near merger (Wall Street Journal)
« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2009, 06:00:35 pm »
capitalism as achieved by fair market competition

Sage 703

« Reply #91 on: December 23, 2009, 06:38:17 pm »
capitalism as achieved by fair market competition

That's a great concept.  But who tells the bands that?  Each band, essentially, is a monopoly.  There is only one of them.  Who tells a band they're not worth what they want - especially now that they've seen other bands make coin hand over fist for years on end?  How do you drive prices down without having people that stand up and say no to the asking prices of touring artists who CAN get the ticket prices that they want?  And given an industry is so built upon relationships - leveraged by agents with enormous power and sway over artist rosters - how do you say no without risking impacts on the rest of your business?

What's more, how do you meet the expectations of fans that now demand spectacles like U2360?  How do you meet the rising production costs associated with big tours without raising ticket prices?  I know that this isn't as true in the club world - but the big shows still make the biggest splash on everyone's bottom line.

Shows still sell out.  People still go.  The true fair market the one between the bands and the fans.  And if fans are willing to pay, what motivation (outside of the goodness of their hearts) do bands have to lower their prices?  Especially given the fact that their revenue streams outside of touring are drying up left and right?

Hypothetically, can't you make the argument that a bigger promotions company (like Live Nation/Ticketmaster) has more clout to say "no" on raising ticket prices, especially if they can offer to increase artist revenue stream in other ways, like merchandising or downloads or whatever else?  I'm not saying I necessarily believe this to be true - but there is certainly a case to be made for it.

I have very, very mixed feelings on the idea of the merger for a lot of reasons - but the issue is definitely not as simple as "Live Nation and Ticketmaster are raising prices."  Bands, agents, managers, promoters, fans - everybody is involved in ticket prices going up.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:14 pm »
that's true, but this will leave it up to them to decide

and they have have a pretty clear pattern of behavior if left to their own devices

Mobius

« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2009, 02:14:43 am »
my recollection of antitrust law is admittedly rather vague, but i don't understand how this isn't textbook monopoly.   creating dominating market share/control and using the power that allows to artifically destroy competitive environment, using contol of one part of the chain to control other parts of the chain . . .bundling. 

if the DOJ lets it slide its a f*cking travesty

« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 02:20:53 am by Mobius »

Driveway

« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2009, 10:27:12 am »
my recollection of antitrust law is admittedly rather vague, but i don't understand how this isn't textbook monopoly.   creating dominating market share/control and using the power that allows to artifically destroy competitive environment, using contol of one part of the chain to control other parts of the chain . . .bundling. 

if the DOJ lets it slide its a f*cking travesty

Agreed.  I just wish the press release focused more on the real issue (the uneven slant) instead of ticket prices.  The state of ticket prices is clearly not the issue here (at the moment).

Anywho, props to Seth for coming to the forum for this discussion.  I don't see anyone from Live Nation or Ticketmaster out here talking to us...

I second the notion for a form letter with an option to edit.  It would probably double the amount of comments sent ot the DOJ.

hutch

« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2009, 04:00:50 pm »

Anywho, props to Seth for coming to the forum for this discussion.  I don't see anyone from Live Nation or Ticketmaster out here talking to us...

[/quote]

Yeah why aren't the Live Nation reps on the 930 board talking to us? WTF!

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2009, 05:09:26 pm »
LOL, are you 12?

I know this guy is telling us his completely biased, self-serving side of the story here in HIS sandbox... but PROPS FOR DOING IT!!

Driveway

« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2009, 03:54:30 pm »
LOL, are you 12?

I know this guy is telling us his completely biased, self-serving side of the story here in HIS sandbox... but PROPS FOR DOING IT!!

You seem a little jaded.  I'm sorry about that.