Author Topic: Modest Mouse Tickets?  (Read 23064 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Modest Mouse Tickets?
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:10 pm »
You do realize a lot less time and energy could be spent buying tickets for the show in Baltimore, which as of noon are still available
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »
i got a pair.

you should consider lending them to walkonby, who is afraid of getting shot on U st.  i've been telling him to grow some for years, maybe loaners are the way to go.

damn dude, i just read this.  good one.  it's a shame that kosmo is shutting us down; i'm assuming that is what he meant in that other thread.  i've enjoied our tennis net banter.  cheers.  and i don't like modest mouse.  plus growing is illegal.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2009, 01:25:24 pm »
i got a pair.

you should consider lending them to walkonby, who is afraid of getting shot on U st.  i've been telling him to grow some for years, maybe loaners are the way to go.

damn dude, i just read this.  good one.  it's a shame that kosmo is shutting us down; i'm assuming that is what he meant in that other thread.  i've enjoied our tennis net banter.  cheers.  and i don't like modest mouse.  plus growing is illegal.

Double Entendre is GOOD, something this board always needs more of
Tifts over scalpers are so yesterday
T.Rex

bellenseb

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »
Obv. scalping isn't illegal...but how did this guy obtain so many tickets in the first place?

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2009, 01:35:50 pm »
Obv. scalping isn't illegal...but how did this guy obtain so many tickets in the first place?

hackers make the world of computers go around.  someone should ban them before computers are killing us like in terminator and christian bale is yelling at us.

Mary930

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »
Well apparently Logan Sease does contracting for the Department of Homeland Security--according to his Facebook page, "The #1 Job in America... I finally did something right  http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/2007/

That's right, Logan, especially since you learn how to hack computers!!

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2009, 02:11:02 pm »
You guys do realize that the general consensus is that Modest Mouse sucks live, right? And that Johnny Marr isn't on the tour...

eltee

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 02:14:41 pm »
You guys do realize that the general consensus is that Modest Mouse sucks live, right? And that Johnny Marr isn't on the tour...
Yeah, I'm just wondering why anyone would buy and then bother to sell 40 tickets to MM....

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 02:25:49 pm »

Just curious, why do people think that?  I've seen them a few times and don't see why it would be common conception that they suck live. 

For example, I know lots of people on this board bitched about the opening set for REM.  Can someone tell me specifically what they didn't like about it.  It seemed fine, but not great, to me.

wml7

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 02:31:19 pm »
I think they sound better in a club setting as compared to an outdoor festival type.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 02:31:48 pm »
I just found out my old buddy Tom from Richmond (anyone remember a band called King Sour from there??) has played on the last 2 modest mouse records as the "multi-instrumentalist" or whatever, playing fiddle and other things presumably....not sure he tours with them but i know he does some of the shows.

I've never actually heard Modest Mouse so none of this really matters to me, except that I'm glad my old friend has found this success.....

imbecile

« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 02:34:03 pm »

Just curious, why do people think that?  I've seen them a few times and don't see why it would be common conception that they suck live. 

For example, I know lots of people on this board bitched about the opening set for REM.  Can someone tell me specifically what they didn't like about it.  It seemed fine, but not great, to me.

I wanted to go but missed out on tickets.

From like 1996-1999 I saw them quite a few times and they were just boring as hell live, it seriously sucked.  Didn't live up to their music at all.  So, I stopped going to see them.  I still absolutely loved them and snatched up their records whenever they came out.  It just wasn't worth it to pay to see them live.

Then the REM show came around.  I'd seen REM several times, never dissapointed.  Modest Mouse was opening, so I figured I'd go.  Not to mention i work in Columbia, so it was a short trip.

Anyway.. I'm not sure what it was.. maybe Johnny Maar re-invigorated them or something.  But they had a good amount of energy and it was fun.  Granted.. not the best show ever, but for them.. for what I remembered years ago.. it was phenomenal.

So yeah.. I wanted to see them again in a good venue and see if the magic was still there.  But can also easily see why people think they're no good live.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 02:43:23 pm »
It seemed fine, but not great, to me.

they're un-engaging.  i've never seen them connect with the audience.  first time i saw them, they looked bored.  but most/worse of all is the gulf between their studio work and their live shows.  if i walked in to a random bar and the band on stage was as good as modest mouse, i'd be damn impressed.  knowing what they are capable of, and how little they deliver on stage, makes it worse for them.  it's a question of expectations.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 02:46:44 pm »
Isaac just sounds like a retarded kid singing.

i've given up on them a couple years ago. Used to see them for $10. EVERY show is a blur to me. It was that bad.
(_|_)

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2009, 02:49:26 pm »
How many bands actually sound better in an outdoor festival setting than in a club setting? That's right, none.

I think they sound better in a club setting as compared to an outdoor festival type.