Author Topic: Thanks you to the scalpers  (Read 18875 times)

Germantown123

Thanks you to the scalpers
« on: February 05, 2009, 12:17:22 pm »
Can't the management at 9:30 do a little customer and artist protection?   The Modest Mouse tickets sold out in, what, a milliseconds?  Only to be posted boldly on craigslist within minutes.   http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/tix/1021779061.html   This guy brags about making money and that he was able to buy, what about 13% of the tickets?    Why not limit the number of tickets that can be sold.    I know that the Modest Mouse will be please to know that they are making others rich at the expesnse of their fans.   I know it's a rant, I know that no one will do anything about it, I know, I know, I know, but it just pisses me off that actual fans, the people who WANT to see the concert are giving the shaft and I  do believe, either directly or indirectly with the nod for the 9:30 manangement.   It's very easy to stop this kind of behavior, just limit the number of tickets that you can purchase.

dave24

Re: Thanks you to the scalpers
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 12:25:31 pm »
How have ticket limits really ever stopped anything in regards to ticket re-selling?  Resellers have had multiple tickets.com and ticketmaster.com accounts with multiple credit cards since the inception of these sites.

Barring the occasional show that limits buyers to four or less to be picked up at the door only, limits don't help.

When a limit does help, on some level it also creates more scarcity.  Whatever money is out there to be made, increases due to supply and demand.

We can all gripe all we want.  But, if scalpers could be stopped, they'd have beens stopped already.  What it boils down to is, most people don't really care.  The club is getting their money.  Tickets.com makes the same amount, regardless of who they sell to. 

It's a cycle that is very unlikely to be broken.  Really, the only thing anyone can do is resist, and not buy from the resellers.  In this economy, if someone is stuck with hundreds or thousands of dollars worth of tickets they can't use, Joe Blow internet scalper will go away.  The heavies?  They'll always find a way to get by.

lsease

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 12:27:48 pm »
FYI guys, the person who posted that ad on craigslist was not serious... I emailed them to try to get them to see what the deal was, and it was a fake ad. It'd be impossible to pull 40 tickets to that show...

Sage 703

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:29:09 pm »
FYI guys, the person who posted that ad on craigslist was not serious... I emailed them to try to get them to see what the deal was, and it was a fake ad. It'd be impossible to pull 40 tickets to that show...

You really believe that?  He's just starting to see backlash and backed off of it.  Why would somebody create a fake ad like that?

chrisinspace

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 12:33:10 pm »
Even if one person doesn't have 40 tickets, there are already ads on CraigsList and Ebay with multiple tickets for sale.  It's a total crock, but I guess life isn't fair.

My initial instinct was to jump on the cheapest reseller tickets I could find, but my wife (the voice of reason) convinced me that we shouldn't give them the satisfaction.  Not that it will do any good towards solving the problem, but they aren't going to get my money.  I'll try to catch another show instead...

lsease

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 12:36:59 pm »
yup- and there it is...

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2009, 12:38:41 pm »
if you say it long enough, will it be real?

(inside joke to my special valentine, which i still am not really sure what he meant by it)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 12:45:28 pm »
I do not like the way this is going... A little clean-up is in order and to the parties involved cool or it or face getting banned
T.Rex

lsease

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 12:47:18 pm »
Pls read above....

rediculous and retarded.

Dont worry, I am done posting... hopefully noone believes this

zenalex

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:15 pm »
Logan is the scalper. Look at his facebook. He's been selling tickets for weeks via ebay links.  You're scum and I know who you are now buddy. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 12:58:43 pm »
Where did all these new people (bitches?) come from?
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »

this is what you get with a generation now raised on the oc, the hills, paris hilton, laguna beach, and anything to do with ryan seacrest.

sonickteam2

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:12:38 pm »
the scalper argument makes me laugh.  Capitalism is a brutal game of give and take.

I have been on both side, i am not too ashamed to say.

One time i bought 8 tickets to a Smashing Pumpkins show in MA. Thinking it would sell out, i could sell 4 tickets and me and my 3 friends could go for free.  Well, the perfect storm of 2 of my friends bailing and everyone on earth selling tickets outside (this was 2000 when people still bought and sold tickets outside) I ended up giving away the other 6 tickets....lost a lot of cash.

Next show i went to though, RHCP/Foo Fighters/Blonde Redhead show, i decided to not buy tickets at all and we went to the show and sure enough, a desperate scalper gave us 4 tickets for $20 total!

moral of the story:  stop going to see crappy 90s Alt Bands.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2009, 01:24:34 pm »

Any time a big new show is announced, we get a whole lot of newbies.  Thankfully, they go away after they get or don't get what they're looking for.
PANTS

chrisinspace

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 01:30:08 pm »

Sorry, I know I don't have enough posts to sit at the cool kids' table yet, but I don't think my comments are invalid just because I'm new to this forum.  I hate the mentality that newbie = moron.  I would think you would want new people to join the forum.

I've been going to the 9:30 Club for years.  This is one of my favorite venues and I hate to see its popularity taken advantage of, so that some guy who has never been to DC can turn a quick buck.