Author Topic: Thanks you to the scalpers  (Read 18893 times)

azaghal1981

احمد

sonickteam2

Re: Thanks you to the scalpers
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 09:21:53 am »
Wait a minute.  Pearl Jam has this one in the bag.  Fan clubs.  the only REAL way to do it.

hutch

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 02:27:30 pm »
I agree that for big shows it should be limited to will call and 2 only per person..

This is just common sense and it works.. AC DC did this for their tour for the better sections and it worked...People like me were getting second row center for 90 bucks whereas if they had not done this scalpers would have bought them and resold them for 400 minimum....

Ultimately it comes down to an argument between some people who think that scalping/reselling is the american way and people who feel that there should be a way for fans to get reasonably priced tickets without having to resort to scalpers.

walkonby

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 03:06:57 pm »
american as

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2009, 01:02:09 pm »
I agree that for big shows it should be limited to will call and 2 only per person..

This is just common sense and it works.. AC DC did this for their tour for the better sections and it worked...People like me were getting second row center for 90 bucks whereas if they had not done this scalpers would have bought them and resold them for 400 minimum....

Ultimately it comes down to an argument between some people who think that scalping/reselling is the american way and people who feel that there should be a way for fans to get reasonably priced tickets without having to resort to scalpers.

unfortunately i still dont get how any of these arguments are good for the fan. im up in nyc, and its rare that ive seen will-call only shows. actually i cant even remember one. but its disappointing to hear everyone talk like the 9:30 club is only open for the DC folk. Could you imagine being turned down from every NYC show, because god-forbid it was will-call only, and something could possibly come up.

we all end up eating tickets at some point in our life - but to do this for every big show is like saying to out-of-towners if theres 1% chance you cant go, you cant buy a ticket, because god-forbid you have to resell it.

For everyone complaining about how the internet made this unfair - thats BS. when I was in highschool if you wanted tickets you camped outside a ticketmaster outlet at insane hours and waited in line. Oh, sorry, you had to work? You had friends, parents whomever do what they could. I remember being the second person in line and seeing shows sell out just like that. Ah well. What could you do. You either went and prayed someone was selling tickets, or just didnt go.

Why do people act like this is so different. Its not like scalpers didn't exist then. Most *big* bands do have their own presales for their fanclubs. A lot of venues also post their own presale passwords.

and in all seriousness - were talking about modest mouse. i mean unless johnny marr is playing with him (and morrissey is making an appearance) really... we're going to argue about how someone bought more tickets. id rather shoot myself than listen to isaac brock's voice. and yes - in some cases i think its wise to use this policy, but id be reluctant to use it all the time.

i do have a suggestion which works here. theres been times when friends ordered tickets and couldnt go to the show. so it turns out the bowery allows you to bring in a copy of their id/credit card and confirmation and you can still get in. i think there needs to be something included in which if something comes up and youre willing to part with that info - someone can have your will call ticket. i mean who is going to give out cc info/id and confirm without trusting that person. it might work at the 9:30 club, but im not 100% sure on that one as I so rarely go.
HeyLa

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2009, 01:37:35 pm »
id rather shoot myself than listen to isaac brock's voice.

Please save a bullet for me!

The only thing that I sort of liked about some old Modest Mouse was the wailing guitars, all of which have since been removed with over-production.

Regarding fan club sales: While I'm all for them, I don't like it having too much pull; or basically having to depend on them; because then you end up having to sign up for way too many news letters and such. Also, I'm dead set against paid fan club programs. Just let me buy a damned ticket to the show from a legitimate ticket seller! If it were only maybe 5 shows you really wanted to keep tabs on, that's a managable amount of news letters to keep track of. But, let's face it, there are a ton of shows one would like to see that sell quick, along with all sorts of other bands that you really like whose news letters you sign up for just to keep up on what's up. In fact, I have a separate email address solely for this sort of stuff just to keep my email life in control. Even then it gets crazy. Having to depend on signing up for even more just to get a ticket is just too much. Oh, and what about all of those 9:30 email news letters that never seem to make it through to a lot of subscribers. I'm sure those aren't the only ones that get hung up in cyberspace.

Again, everyone, and I mean everyone, needs to NOT SUPPORT SCALPERS! That includes that Ticketbastard scalping reseller. Boycotts have power. If it means you miss a show, than so be it. We all miss out on a lot in life we'd love to be involved in. Deal with it.

Also, I agree that the internet has leveled the playing field immensely when trying to get tickets. I missed a whole lot of shows in the past because I couldn't get to an outlet or I refused to camp out. It's the timing of when they go on sale that still pisses me off when it comes to in demand shows. No problem with it at all for the majority of shows. Sure, some are surprise immediate sell outs but when you know up front it's going to be a quick sell, they should offer alternative on sale times. If memory serves me correct, seems that there were 2 area shows that went on sale outside of regular business hours. They were Coldplay at the 9:30 Club and Radiohead, I think, at Merriweather. Maybe a few more but that is a much more fair system based on maximum fair access for the area fans.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »
we all end up eating tickets at some point in our life - but to do this for every big show is like saying to out-of-towners if theres 1% chance you cant go, you cant buy a ticket, because god-forbid you have to resell it.

that's completely wrong.  no one is forbidding you from buying tickets, it just means you have to do so knowing the consequences.  you have to commit.

and yes - in some cases i think its wise to use this policy, but id be reluctant to use it all the time.

we're been over this one previously in this thread: no one said it should be used all the time.  personally, i'd only recommend this for instant sell-outs.  as long as everyone had a decent chance at getting tickets, there is no need for will-call-only.

i do have a suggestion which works here. theres been times when friends ordered tickets and couldnt go to the show. so it turns out the bowery allows you to bring in a copy of their id/credit card and confirmation and you can still get in. i think there needs to be something included in which if something comes up and youre willing to part with that info - someone can have your will call ticket. i mean who is going to give out cc info/id and confirm without trusting that person. it might work at the 9:30 club, but im not 100% sure on that one as I so rarely go.

excellent suggestion.

p.s. there are NYC shows that have will-call only policies.  i'm seeing flight of the concords at radio city, and the first 15-20 rows are will-call only.
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2009, 03:23:17 pm »

Don't they already do something like this @ 9:30?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 03:36:30 pm »
Yep. And it works for a lot of venues throughout the country too.

Don't they already do something like this @ 9:30?
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 11:16:47 am »
Thanks you to the scalpers, indeed!

anyone looking for cheap tickets to the sold-out thievery shows?  looks like some ticket speculators miscalculated: lots of tickets available on CL at or below face.  i should have waited, i could have gotten my tix without service charges.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/search/tix?query=thievery&catAbbreviation=tix&minAsk=min&maxAsk=max
<sig>