Author Topic: Its gonna be a frat boy riot now....  (Read 8322 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Its gonna be a frat boy riot now....
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 01:09:54 pm »
All the way to the finish line! Very good move on Pimlico's part. Take that, Kentucky Derby!

i suspect that some derbiites are snickering a little, saying that the preakness needs a rock show to keep people interested. 

Oh, the people have been interested. They've always been very interested in the Preakness. Many serious horse people even consider the Preakness a more important race than the Kentucky Derby because they've weeded out so many horses in Kentucky just for the show. They come in from miles around. It's also a race that has a lot more excitement due to the fact that it sets the tone as to whether or not there will be another Triple Crown winner. You get a block of the creme de la creme of that year's horses rather than just a big mix of good horse genes in a race that just trims the crop. Then there are the locals who regard it sort of as a gigantic party that starts off the Summer season of fun in the sun. That's more what the infield is all about. Not my scene at all as I'm much more interested in the horses but I'm all for the excitement of the festival as long as I don't have to deal with the madhouse. I've never been much for being in the thick of big crowds and festivals myself but sure don't want to kill anyone elses' buzz.

It's the rest of the races and the upkeep of the track itself that has threatened to close the track; hence, kill or move the Preakness. Another up for Seth bringing the V-Fest there which I have no doubt helped the life of the track.

mdh9857

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »
I like the idea of making Preakness a better event and helping Pimlico.  But as a recent college grad, I can tell you none of the people I know would go to Preakness this year becuase of that.  None.  The point for every college kid aka 75% of the infield is to get wasted and not even care if you see a horse, trust me that happens.  I think attendance is gonna drop hard.  Because if you're trying to appeal to 20 somethings you don't get ZZ Top or Buckcherry.  Just my thoughts.  I personally don't care about Preakness, I'm just curious as to the money/ profit aspect.

walkonby

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2009, 01:58:23 pm »
I like the idea of making Preakness a better event and helping Pimlico.  But as a recent college grad, I can tell you none of the people I know would go to Preakness this year becuase of that.  None.  The point for every college kid aka 75% of the infield is to get wasted and not even care if you see a horse, trust me that happens.  I think attendance is gonna drop hard.  Because if you're trying to appeal to 20 somethings you don't get ZZ Top or Buckcherry.  Just my thoughts.  I personally don't care about Preakness, I'm just curious as to the money/ profit aspect.

i think jimmie's chicken shack was already booked.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2009, 02:09:33 pm »

i think jimmie's chicken shack was already booked.

POTW!  ;D

Had planned to tear the above statement apart piece by piece but you did it all with such brevity.

Also, mdh9857 did such a fine job at defining exactly why I have never been on the infield and have absolutely no desire of ever doing so.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 02:11:52 pm by Jaguar »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2009, 02:12:23 pm »
I had absolutely no idea the Preakness was such a huge watershed event in this area.  But then again, what do I know...

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 10:26:56 am »
just when you thought Preakness couldnt get any better than the addition of Buckcherry and ZZ Top.......

Bud Light to sponsor Preakness Stakes infield party

Beer behemoth Bud Light has inked a deal to become the presenting sponsor of the new-look Preakness Stakes infield party on May 16.

Financial terms of the deal were not released.

The 2009 Preakness InfieldFest presented by Bud Light -- its official name -- will feature music by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame act ZZ Top, Grammy-nominated Buckcherry and the homegrown Charm City Devils.

To promote the marketing partnership, Bud Light will activate a ?text to win? and Internet promotion at retail stores in Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., Delaware, New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

?This partnership allows us to market Bud Light in the classic setting that is the Pimlico Race Course,? Robert Barraco, geographic marketing manager for Anheuser-Busch Inc., Bud Light?s parent company, said in a statement.

Maryland Jockey Club officials unveiled in February a revamped Preakness infield, featuring live music and professional women?s volleyball.

In announcing the move, the Jockey Club said it would also ban fans from bringing in their own beverages ? ending a long-standing tradition at the 134-year-old event.

Sixteen-ounce beers will now be sold for $3.50. Tickets to the infield will remain flat in 2009 at $50 each.

Preakness is the second leg of horse racing?s Triple Crown. The infield party draws more than 60,000 revelers annually.