Author Topic: The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Rollcall  (Read 6221 times)

Vas Deferens

Re: The Pains of Being Pure At Heart Rollcall
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2009, 10:50:56 am »
Your loss.

Curse you handsome devils. I would've liked to have seen this show but couldn't make it happen. I like the Pains album quite a bit but I suspect it'll just be a quickie affair.
(_|_)

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »
How long was the Pains show? I saw them on saturday night at the mercury - and it was a really short set, maybe 25 mins at the most. friends of mine had seen them at house parties and also a set from them at Mondo (don hills) and it was equally short. regardless, they were a bunch of fun. peggy seemed like she was posing for the latest hipster magazine and so disinterested on the stage when she wasnt singing. regardless, we had a packed show barely able to move, but we all danced up a storm in the front.

death guild sounded really great from when i had seen them previously. their sound was just awesome. zaza also sounded great - but their songs seemed endless. very cool that the drummer from the pains also played in both those other bands.

we also had cause co-motion which so didnt fit on the bill, but were fun nonetheless.
HeyLa

brennser

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 12:19:29 pm »
they played for about 30 minutes (they also came on stage 30 mins later than advertised - grrr)

I had no expectations but thought it was a great show - nothing groundbreaking about what they do but they have some insanely catchy songs

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 01:05:07 pm »
they played for about 30 minutes (they also came on stage 30 mins later than advertised - grrr)

I had no expectations but thought it was a great show - nothing groundbreaking about what they do but they have some insanely catchy songs

thanks! i wholeheartedly agree - their songs are damn catchy! and i <3 Kips voice. and im pretty sure all the guys i was with were in love with kip. it was a win/win for all of us seeing them :)
HeyLa

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2009, 01:33:28 pm »

That was incredibly annoying.  The stage sat completely empty for a good 20+ minutes before they came out.    The time between bands was longer than their actual set.  They were worth the wait, but they almost lost me.

brennser

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2009, 03:24:06 pm »
oh, and the black cat really needs to clean their beer lines - both the Harpoon IPA and the Shiner Bock were undrinkable last night

killsaly

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2009, 04:24:48 pm »
So it ended up being 30 minutes of a wait?  I left after 20.  I bought their cd to listen to, and planned on checking them out at Sonar if I liked it.  Im still on the fence.   

D Guild was awesome.  The only thing that was not that great, was the sound.  I will definitely see them again the next time they come around.

Did any of you catch the Sugar Plums?  They were unlistenable.  I felt bad for them because they were getting heckled, but they did suck.  I wanted to go tell the singer that they should go instrumental. 

azaghal1981

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2009, 04:34:56 pm »
The sound for DG was horrible. Famicom was way too low in the mix. Vocals were turned up to the point of distortion.
احمد

Vas Deferens

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2009, 04:44:50 pm »
I caught the Sugar Plums. They were alright. The guitar player smelled so bad, though. He was upfront for both DG and Pains.

Depreciation Guild were pretty bad. They sound so different live. Melodies are gone...what's left are forgettable guitar parts that seem to go nowhere.

PAINS = PHENOMENAL.
(_|_)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2009, 05:57:12 pm »
Did any of you catch the Sugar Plums?  They were unlistenable.  I felt bad for them because they were getting heckled, but they did suck.  I wanted to go tell the singer that they should go instrumental. 

sugar plums were absolutely atrocious, we went out to the red room a few songs into their set

depreciation guild had a good sound, but they were butchered by the sound guy/room ... totally agree about a lack of melody

we also left before the headliners, oh well...
(o|o)

Epstein

• http://www.hit-dat.com
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2009, 08:20:20 pm »
both these bands are dumb

Kill the sound: <A HREF="Http://www.hit-dat.com" TARGET=_blank>http://Http://www.hit-dat.com[/url]