Author Topic: A Musician's Question on the DC Music Scene  (Read 3867 times)

evilizac

A Musician's Question on the DC Music Scene
« on: February 13, 2009, 03:42:53 pm »
Oh Ok...
   I've been debating asking this question here as it breaks my standard of reading and rarely posting anything with expectation of interest (or expectations of snarkdom) but anyway...

Do any of the band guys or gals on this board know of anyplace (besides craigslist) to search out potential bands or bandmates to meet and join? Places, Sites, stores with bulletin boards, people in back alleys?  It seems there's a large populace on craigslist that are still into... I don't know Gun's N' Roses or Stone Temple Pilots or cover bands or devising their entire sound or band idea on one sonic quality (acoustic guitar, twee-ness, or an over devotion to Fugazi).
I know I shouldn't have posted this here (but I did) but I figured the forum as good a place as any to "make trouble".
Bah!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:58:14 pm by evilizac »
WHAT?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: A Musicians Question on the DC Music Scene
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 03:45:30 pm »
Craigs-err..... not me.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 04:02:34 pm »
Cedars was started on this board...by Jag if I'm not mistaken.  She can probably help you out.
27>34

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 04:32:43 pm »
City Paper
Craig's List
And if they still exist, record store bulletin boards.

That, and just tell everyone you know you're looking to do something.  Friend of a friend type connects are always possible.

killsaly

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:26 pm »
What instrument do you play, where do you live, and what kind of music would you be into making?

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 04:52:24 pm »
you have to talk to livenation about this.  they control everything regarding music now.

Sage 703

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:53:44 pm »
Craigslist has always been what I've used to find people to play music with.  But I think it largely depends on what kind of music you're trying to make.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 05:01:54 pm »
Music stores like Guitar Center still have bulletin boards with people posting for bandmates or their shows.

Go out to shows and start talking with people and networking. There's ALWAYS other musicians at shows :)

3MTA3

evilizac

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 05:13:27 pm »
Definitely enjoy the Live Nation comment and I'm sure their secret police will be knocking on my cubicle wall any second now...
One of my last bands got together through the city paper and it was great, close to four years together but I really think the Citypaper's clout has waned in the age of the super classifieds that is craigslist.
   I actually wasn't quite looking to make this post a searching for people (though I'm sure somewhere in the back of my brain that's not true) maybe the truth is just that no one is into what I'm looking for. I've come to that conclusion recently. I play bass, I'm into bands like Yo La Tengo, Built To Spill, I really liked the Ambulance Ltd LP (but I dig a lot farther back than that).... Bands that manage to have extended musical sections, can seem to be imrovisational at times, but still have the ability to craft a sweet (and short) pop song. I believe song craft (pretentious moment) to be the biggest let down for most of the people that I have contact or have contacted me.... That and a one dimensional aspect, ether too loud, or too soft or too cute, or too serious.
I lost my train of thought...  

WHAT?

manimtired

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 05:22:23 pm »
just become a "DJ" and you can play RnR Hotel 3 times a week.

lol

evilizac

Re: A Musician's Question on the DC Music Scene
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »
I Hate DJs...

To elaborate, I remember playing at Chief Ike's to an amassed crowd of about 25 people sipping beers and staring at each other and not an hour later the place being ceiling to ceiling full of drunken rowdies dancing to the "DJ's" play list for free (because of course band time is always cover charged).... Most of that is on another tangent though. 
WHAT?

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 07:07:43 pm »
I Hate DJs...

To elaborate, I remember playing at Chief Ike's to an amassed crowd of about 25 people sipping beers and staring at each other and not an hour later the place being ceiling to ceiling full of drunken rowdies dancing to the "DJ's" play list for free (because of course band time is always cover charged).... Most of that is on another tangent though. 

"Got your Rhymes going round in my head
Got your supersonic beats mixing up my Keds
"So dance little DJ come on
"What's your name?

"I wanna move but I don't feel right
Cause you've been playing other peoples songs all night
"So tell what you're trying to say
What's your name?

Hey Rollover DJ
You're spinning away
On my time
Hey, who cares what you play
Say whatever you say, I don't mind
Hey, roll over DJ, if you don't mind

Well I know that you think you're the star
A pill poppin' jukebox is all that you are
So tell me it ain't that way
What's you're name?

Hey roll over DJ
You're spinning away
On my time
Say whatever you say, cause I don't mind
Hey roll over DJ if you don't mind

"Hey roll over DJ
"You're spinning away
On my time
Say whatever you say, cause I don't mind
"Hey roll over DJ if you don't mind
Hey roll over DJ if you don't mind
"Hey roll over DJ if you don't mind

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 08:52:42 pm »
I Hate DJs...

Can't hate on DJ's because a few drunk fools were acting act; I know what you mean, just pointing that out to you. I know plenty of DJ's who go thru something similiar with annoying drunk folks who approach them to play some of the weakest stuff.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 05:30:55 pm »
I am dealing with this dilemma too...  I used to play in bands, but pretty much all the people I used to play with moved away over time.    And I used to have friends with whom we'd just get together at someone's house and improvise stuff for the hell of it, and they're all gone too.

And since I HATE meeting people through classified ads, I pretty much just stopped.

Anyway, I would love to start playing again -- it's my New Year's resolution, and it doesn't matter whether if it's just making noise with other people or something more structured.   It was a good creative outlet and I miss it.   I play guitar, and while I have a range of tastes, the stuff I play all tends to harken back to my earliest influences, the Beatles, Stones, and Velvet Underground.   

If this interests anyone, let me know.
_\|/_

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 06:39:46 pm »
I also can't stand those guys that are in bands and also DJ!!

Oh wait...

3MTA3