Author Topic: Last NIN tour = with O.G. Jane's Addiction lineup?  (Read 14798 times)

azaghal1981

Last NIN tour = with O.G. Jane's Addiction lineup?
« on: February 17, 2009, 12:39:29 am »
From nin.com:
2.16.09: A note from Trent and a wave goodbye

Towards the beginning of my career in Nine Inch Nails, our biggest break came in the form of an invitation to perform a series of shows with Jane's Addiction. These performances essentially created and defined the term "alternative" rock in the US, created an ongoing festival franchise that is still thriving (Lollapalooza), set the stage for Nirvana to shift popular taste a few months later, and were really fucking FUN to play and attend - truly the best times I've had. The shows were epic. So epic, they propelled NIN to the "next level" (whatever that means), but caused Jane's to implode. The band broke up at the end of that tour.

Fast forward to the present. Corporate rock STILL sucks. A friend tells me they saw the original Jane's lineup play a tiny show in LA that was unbelievable. I break out my Jane's records and am amazed by how vital they sound. These guys were the real deal and in this current climate mostly dominated by poseurs and pussies it was refreshing to hear something that sounded dangerous, volatile, beautiful and SINCERE.
Emails were sent, phone calls were made, dinner was arranged, ideas were discussed and the next thing I know we're in the studio experimenting. We laugh, we get to know each other, we cry, we yell, we almost quit, we record LOTS of guitar solos, we discuss, we actually begin to all communicate, we yell some more, we become FRIENDS, we laugh again and we do some great things. I get to see first hand why they broke up all those years ago but I also get the chance to see four distinct personalities that become an INCREDIBLE band when they're in the same room.

In NIN world, 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of our first releases. I've been thinking for some time now it's time to make NIN disappear for a while. Last year's "Lights in the Sky" tour was something I'm quite proud of and seems like the culmination of what I could pull off in terms of an elaborate production. It was also quite difficult to pull off technically and physically night after night and left us all a bit dazed. After some thought, we decided to book a last run of shows across the globe this year. The approach to these shows is quite different from last year - much more raw, spontaneous and less scripted. Fun for us and a different way for you to see us and wave goodbye. I reached out to Jane's to see if they'd want to join us across the US and we all felt it could be a great thing. Will it work? Will it resonate in the marketplace? Who knows. Are there big record label marketing dollars to convince you to attend? Nope.
Does it feel right to us and does it seem like it will be fun for us and you? Yes it does.
Look for tour dates soon and I hope to see you out there.

Trent
Guess I have to see them now since I never have. Kind of an odd coincidence; I heard "Head like a Hole" on Sirius today and realized "holy shit it's been 20 years since PHM came out!"

Seth?
احمد

killsaly

Re: Last NIN tour = with O.G. Jane's Addiction lineup?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:21 am »
I got to make sure to get tickets to this.  Im glad I have got to see them a few times.  They never disappoint.  I also wouldn't necessarily put their latest albums on any best of lists, so maybe it is time to take a break and buy more funeral parlors in New Orleans.  But them on a smaller stage, and with Janes Addiction in tow, is something I dont want to miss.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 01:03:20 am »
woa.  i'm in.  trent seems to imply that it will be a stripped-down show, but i hope they still cart out some of the stage bling... those blinking lights are purdy. 

JA's should be interesting... perry still considers himself and acts like a super star.  the music will be great to hear but i don't know if i'll be able to deal with his on stage ego.
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 01:22:43 am »
Yeah, Perry is so full of himself, it's comical.
احمد

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:16:46 am »
SETH! Come on man this is not to be passed over...  Whatever it takes.
FUKIT

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 05:57:37 am »
I just want tour dates. Considering I did a hefty amount of the last tour (LOVED the last 2 studio records), I'll probably be in tow for most/some of this!
Woof.

Relaxer

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:41:04 am »
For about 3 years, Jane's was my absolute favorite band, based almost solely on Nothings Shocking. That said, it hasn't aged particularly well. It's not horrific, but the primary problem is when I listen to it now, Navarro's guitar just sounds so much like 80s douchebag metal with the squiggly meatrock guitar solos. He did add some new, interesting elements that, at the time, made the band sound somewhat exotic and trippy. But since then, so many bands have taken the sound of guitar to whole new levels, and to me, JA now sounds like a mashup of GnR and the Pumpkins. And Navarro hasn't done himself any favors by turning into the Avon lady.

"Please come see this show. Need money for mascara!"

Still, this pairing is pretty intriguing.
oword

Chulahoma

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 11:01:35 am »
i'm guessing we will see these 2 at lollapalooza this year?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 11:30:09 am »
And Navarro hasn't done himself any favors by turning into the Avon lady.

For real.  Dave Navarro is a hostess twinkie mother fucker if there ever was one.

He was part of a few good albums though, but I think it was more of a right place right time sort of thing.  Out of the context of Jane's his playing is cheezy.  For me that band was all about the rhythm section and Perry's voice and lyrics.

My fave album was the first...the "live" one, still listen to it every so often, but not very.

Relaxer

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 11:39:14 am »
For me that band was all about the rhythm section and Perry's voice and lyrics.

Yeah, this is key.
oword

Got Haggis?

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 03:33:41 pm »
did trent listen to the last janes addiction album? jesus it was terrible

Vas Deferens

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 03:37:55 pm »
the last jane's addiction tour was terrible.
(_|_)

mekmad

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »
I doubt JA will play anything off the newest album.  Eric A. was a big part of the orginal sound, I think this tour will be much better.  If its a summer show, hopefully this will be Merriweather and NOT Nissan.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 11:47:36 am by mekmad »

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 04:39:12 pm »
the last jane's addiction tour was terrible.

Was that in like 2001/2002 with Live as the support? I wanted to shoot myself in the head if Ed didn't shut up about "how great everyone is out 911 blah blah blah"
3MTA3

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:41:16 pm »
And Navarro hasn't done himself any favors by turning into the Avon lady.

For real.  Dave Navarro is a hostess twinkie mother fucker if there ever was one.

He was part of a few good albums though, but I think it was more of a right place right time sort of thing.  Out of the context of Jane's his playing is cheezy.  For me that band was all about the rhythm section and Perry's voice and lyrics.

My fave album was the first...the "live" one, still listen to it every so often, but not very.

I liked the work Dave did for making a dark funk album for RHCP and shifting their sound for a bit, as well as the guitar work Dave did for NIN... The band after Jane's disbanded called "Deconstruction" also had some good work on it, just wasn't a fan of Eric Avery's vocals, but still having Dave, Stephen and Eric rock out for another album was good.

3MTA3