Author Topic: M. Ward/Vivian Girls rollcall  (Read 7803 times)

Re: M. Ward/Vivian Girls rollcall
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »
Though I wish they would, it's not like anybody is going to stay in their seat. Besides, what is the point of standing at an M. Ward show? Anybody who feels the need to dance at an M. Ward show is more than a little bit weird. If everybody stays seated, then everybody can see. That seems like a nice thing, right?

because I've heard the opposite.

I'm not a fan of seated shows to begin with, and the fact that the seats are more benches...I don't know.

Sage 703

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 03:15:06 pm »
Though I wish they would, it's not like anybody is going to stay in their seat. Besides, what is the point of standing at an M. Ward show? Anybody who feels the need to dance at an M. Ward show is more than a little bit weird. If everybody stays seated, then everybody can see. That seems like a nice thing, right?

I'm not a fan of seated shows to begin with, and the fact that the seats are more benches...I don't know.

Actually, the vast majority of people at Synagogue shows stay in their seats, especially at the more mellow shows.  The only ones where I've seen many folks standing are Lykke Li and Devendra Banhart.

eltee

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 03:17:58 pm »
Sorry, posting at the same time...What Rhett said.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 03:23:45 pm by Princess Tee »

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 03:20:16 pm »
Well that would be nice, especially after being out until the wee hours for a Drive By Truckers show Friday night and being awakened by a 20 month old at 6am. Don't ask me how I'm going to manage to do my Saturday nine mile run, I may have to shelve that.

Actually, the vast majority of people at Synagogue shows stay in their seats, especially at the more mellow shows.  The only ones where I've seen many folks standing are Lykke Li and Devendra Banhart.

tigerflight

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 03:37:23 pm »
you're right. maybe i'll love it. I'm trying (hand to god trying) to think positive about this. my reservations are mostly with the other show-goers and i should just ignore that.

Relaxer

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 03:41:04 pm »
Just get there early.

And I'd say they're not so much benches as pews. It is a house of worship after all.
oword

BookerT

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 04:16:05 pm »
it's a really nice venue and should be perfect for m. ward. although vivian girls will be clanging all over the place. the sound has improved tenfold over the past year. the only issue is that some of the balcony seats don't offer the best sight lines. so do get there early for a downstairs spot if you want to see. i suggest seeing the vivian girls bassist.

tigerflight

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 05:24:26 pm »
i really like the vivian girls, but keep thinking of Tiger trap. which isn't a bad thing, i think i was just honestly surprised that it wasn't Rose melberg singing

andyrichter

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 06:26:20 pm »
I've missed Vivian Girls twice already.  I'm really looking forward to seeing them. 

Yada

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:02 pm »
I will be there and I absolutely can't wait.

I've been wanting to see M.Ward for probably four or five years now and I was out of town the weekend he was at the Birchmere.

I can't think of a better place than 6th and I to see him perform, other than maybe a seated show at the 930.

And yeah... there really isn't a reason to be standing/dancing at a show like this. You'll look like an idiot. ::)

Get there early if you want a good seat, otherwise you'll be sitting with the choir up top.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 02:08:51 pm »
went to 6th & I last night for the first time to see Rob Riggle... great venue...
(o|o)

Yada

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 05:39:06 pm »
Great show last night... A little too short for my liking, was thinking the show would've at least been an hour and half, but pretty awesome nonetheless. The sound was a little muffled from where I was sitting, but an absolutely great acoustic set to start the show with a very respectful audience.

The Vivian Girls however were one of the worst opening acts I've ever seen after 15 years of seeing shows.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 08:01:49 pm »
Excellent show.  It would have been perfect had he played that Daniel Johnston's cover "To Go Home" but great to hear "Poison Cup" and "Chinese Translation" nonetheless and even his take on a She & Him song. That said, I really dislike that new song "Never Had Nobody Like You" for its corny lyrics.

I did not enjoy the Vivian Girls live but I enjoy them on record.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 08:05:44 pm by wanderlust j. sweetcheex »
(_|_)

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:25 am »
M. Ward was predictably fantastic.

I wish every show I wanted to see was at Sixth and I. No sevice fees, seated shows, no problems seeing, good sound, no drunk assholes, and show done by 10:45 in a Saturday night. Perfect.

Vivian Girls exceeded my very low expectations. Still, I'd never  sit at home and choose to listen to them. Their stage banter played like a really bad, unfunny SNL skit.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:04:54 am »
Up for the Mountain Goats then?  ;D

I wish every show I wanted to see was at Sixth and I. No sevice fees, seated shows, no problems seeing, good sound, no drunk assholes, and show done by 10:45 in a Saturday night. Perfect.

(_|_)