Author Topic: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?  (Read 181495 times)

wiretap studios

Re: Virgin Mobile Fest Baltimore 2009 date set?
« Reply #330 on: June 11, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »
It's obvious because 9:30, Merriweather, and other dc clubs have no bands booked for a very lucrative weekend spot.  It's the 29-30th weekend.  I already booked a hotel as it's my birthday anyway.  However if it's blink 182 and Fall Out Boy, I won't be going. 

« Reply #331 on: June 11, 2009, 12:55:29 pm »
What's so lucrative about that weekend? August is typically dead for concerts. People are on vacation in August. And the type of people who vacation in Washington aren't the type who would hang out at rock clubs.

bkrome

« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2009, 03:27:02 pm »
It's obvious because 9:30, Merriweather, and other dc clubs have no bands booked for a very lucrative weekend spot.  It's the 29-30th weekend.  I already booked a hotel as it's my birthday anyway.  However if it's blink 182 and Fall Out Boy, I won't be going. 

FOB will be half way across the world that weekend.   Guess your going.

sonickteam2

« Reply #333 on: June 11, 2009, 03:48:10 pm »

FOB will be half way across the world that weekend.   Guess your going.

yeah, i didnt meant to include Fall Out Boy. i just meant it was that tour that would be headlining.

Blink 182 headlining is sorta lame, but no MORE lame than RHCP, Coldplay, Smashing Pumpkins or Jack Johnson! (who have headlined before).  Weezer on the bill, thats ok, nothing terrible about that.  Theres still room to make it pretty nifty.

wiretap studios

« Reply #334 on: June 12, 2009, 12:58:03 am »
What's so lucrative about that weekend?

I'm guessing considering the rumor it is at Merriweather and there is nothing there that weekend, nor at 9:30 club so far. 

August is typically dead for concerts.

The last two Virgin Festivals have been in August

And the type of people who vacation in Washington aren't the type who would hang out at rock clubs.

I vacation in DC and Baltimore, and go to the rock clubs and shows...just like plenty of people I know.

sonickteam2

« Reply #335 on: June 12, 2009, 09:07:42 am »
What's so lucrative about that weekend? August is typically dead for concerts. People are on vacation in August. And the type of people who vacation in Washington aren't the type who would hang out at rock clubs.

but by August 30th, college students are back. no?

« Reply #336 on: June 12, 2009, 01:17:30 pm »
Good point. Unless someone shows me some data to disprove mine, i'm not going to concede it, but your point allows me to see the other side of the coin.

I guess my typical concert demographic is generally post-collegiate, so I tend to not even think of the college kids.

sonickteam2

« Reply #337 on: June 12, 2009, 02:50:41 pm »
Good point. Unless someone shows me some data to disprove mine, i'm not going to concede it, but your point allows me to see the other side of the coin.

I guess my typical concert demographic is generally post-collegiate, so I tend to not even think of the college kids.

yeah, its hard to say really. cause you have area students that leave this area too. so that could even be a wash.

but if you're talking Blink 182, we're probably not talking too many post-collegiate people!  But if we look at Pollstar for Baltimore/DC shows that weekend, nothing is listed now anywhere except for the Black Crowes at Rams Head Live and a Lee Greenwood show in Frederick and BB king at Wolf Trap. so as of now, lucrative could be seen to mean, "the only show in town that weekend"

hows that for data! :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #338 on: June 12, 2009, 02:51:23 pm »

and by the way, this isnt really what i would call "data"...

« Reply #339 on: June 12, 2009, 02:57:41 pm »
Didn't say it was. Wer'e all operating on opinions here.

and by the way, this isnt really what i would call "data"...