Author Topic: Robert Smith Blasts Radiohead  (Read 12359 times)

sonickteam2

Robert Smith Blasts Radiohead
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:03:29 am »
The Cure's Robert Smith Blasts Radiohead for Allowing Fans to Set a Price

Do you ever feel like you're in a tug-of-war with two of your favorite rock groups because one of them disses the other? What about if the "disser" also takes a shot at you and everyone you know in the same breath?

Well, leave it up to Robert Smith, everyone's favorite aging rocker, who had more than just his usually bad hair day today.

In an interview with Music Radar, The Cure's frontman lashed out at Radiohead, saying he "disagreed violently" with their pay-what-you want model for their 2007 blockbuster release, In Rainbows. Smith said allowing fans to determine their own price to download the album was an "idiot plan."

"You can't allow other people to put a price on what you do, " Smith said. "Otherwise you don't consider what you do to have any value at all and that's nonsense. If I put a value on my music and no one's prepared to pay that, then more fool me, but the idea that the value is created by the consumer is an idiot plan, it can't work."

Well, guess what Mr. Smith? Maybe no one will even want your music again after they hear what you said and how untimely pretentious and stupid you are - if there was ever a time that you need to give people a reason to 'value' your music and hand over precious few dollars for your music, it's now.

But you blew it, dude, and stomped on a growing movement that will only do more to allow the best, and the least greedy, musicians and groups find a nice middle ground between making a good living and not being 'owned' by anyone. It's already happening.

This is difficult in a way because I am a huge fan of both groups, and have been for a long time, but I guess I'll never look upon The Cure's music the same way again. I had no idea Smith lacked humility to such a tasteless degree. Afterall, his fans have given him a damn good living for three decades.

Maybe it's hard to make any sense to someone who wears a bird's nest on his head and more make-up than all the gals at the Creekside Rest Home. Did I get it wrong or did Smith not only talk trash about Radiohead, didn't he also basically say 'pay my price or f*ck off'?

I think it would be awesome if Radiohead wrote a song in response called "Idiot Plan". It will definitely get plenty of attention, that's for sure. If by any chance that happens, I'd love to get the scoop on the story! :)

this, from http://www.indierockcafe.com/

Re: Robert Smith Blasts Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:02 am »
Robert Smith is not my favorite aging rocker.

fatskippy

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:34:59 am »
A 50 year old has been that still wears 80's makeup is crying for attention, who woulda thunk it

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 10:53:56 am »
Boring.
‼‼?‼‼

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 10:58:58 am »
Boring.

yeah, i realize its nowhere near as riveting as your Yay, i got some Kings Of Leon tickets thread, but i am still tired from Mardi Gras drinking.....

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:03:47 am »
As am I. So easily flustered, relax.
‼‼?‼‼

killsaly

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 08:08:55 pm »
considering Radiohead have made several good albums in the last decade, and the Cure have made zero, maybe Radiohead knows what is up. 
So who would he rather set the price of his music? Himself?  His record label? 

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 08:37:22 pm »
It's official.  Robert Smith is a douche.  Not that I needed more proof. 

*disclaimer*

I actually do like a few Cure albums.  Shit, I even like a few old Metalica records, and that's a whole band of douches right there.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:39:53 pm »
Band Of Douches. Now that's a band name for you!  8)

-Edit-
Not you personally, Chaz. After posting I realized that this could be read a couple different ways. lol

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 09:17:46 pm »
come to think of it, pretty much any name with the word "douche" in it would make an awesome band name.

the doucheballs
douchemeister
death by douche
douche wolf
denitza and the douches
... and you shall know us by the trail of douchiness
<sig>

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:17 pm »
come to think of it, pretty much any name with the word "douche" in it would make an awesome band name.

the doucheballs
douchemeister
death by douche
douche wolf
denitza and the douches

When my mind is idle and I'm up for some musical juvinile fun, I do the same thing with the word shit. Started  out with bands I dislike but then it got so goofy that I expanded to include bands I like.

The Red Hot Chili Shits
My Morning Shit
...and you shall know us by the Trail of Shit
My Bloody Shit

Can't play these games with the Cure unless you are adding a word or two which sort of loses some of its fun.

NilThree

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:03:57 am »
He doesn't think that the consumer determines something's value?

Bob needs an economics course.  :)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 12:44:31 am »
amendment: "denitza & the douchies"
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 09:04:39 am »
He doesn't think that the consumer determines something's value?

Bob needs an economics course.  :)

precisely why i thought it was so funny.

Relaxer

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:13:20 am »

the doucheballs
douchemeister
death by douche
douche wolf
denitza and the douches

pure gold
oword