Author Topic: Hey Bloggers  (Read 3160 times)

sonickteam2

Hey Bloggers
« on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:20 pm »
    Ok, I have a question. I want to start a blog and I am old and confused.

A group to 11 people and myself submit music charts each week, compile them, make a weekly chart, then add them up to make a year end.  I keep them in an excel file and I would like to post them on a blog. I made a blogspot account, but cannot seem to upload excel files as anything but images that are too tiny to read.  I tried google documents but that turns my excel spreadsheet into mush and it wont just open up on the page, it comes in as a link.

I would post this in some blogger messageboard but i really dont want to sign up for another messageboard. (i am a one messageboard guy!)

serious replies and smart ass comments welcome!

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Hey Bloggers
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 12:35:27 pm »
You could try taking screenshots of the spreadsheets, and then cropping just to include the relevant info....maybe then they would upload at a sufficiant resolution.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:40:18 pm »
Screenshots? That's all I could think of. I'm sure you've searched Goog for some answers? You could maybe just upload it as a download link. And provide screenshots for that.
‼‼?‼‼

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 12:41:54 pm »
why not use a file sending service like yousendit.com, mediafire.com, sendspace, etc?  upload the spreadsheet there, then post the link.  a free yousendit account has the (potential) advantage of only storing files for 7 days - making sure that your readers only get the latest version.  limited to 100 downloads, tho (realistically, the chances of getting 100 DLs is low).

and not, i'm not getting off your lawn.
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:47:32 pm »
Well, I do want it to be a BIT more like a webpage than that.  I would like to be able for us to make posts on it and stuff.

I tried making my spreadsheet into a PDF but blogger wont upload PDFs, so I went to make a PDF into a jpeg but then it seperates each page into a seperate jpg. Then when i upload the jpgs, even though they are too small to read, if you double click on them, they open full screen. which is ok but i can only get one of them to do that, the other pages wont.

i am not too good with screenshots....and i dont even have a program that makes them here at work.

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 01:53:51 pm »
just make sure to put in there somewhere that j. is better than barlow.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 02:04:48 pm »
what are your thoughts on asians
o/\o

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 02:05:59 pm »
Well, I do want it to be a BIT more like a webpage than that.  I would like to be able for us to make posts on it and stuff.

I tried making my spreadsheet into a PDF but blogger wont upload PDFs, so I went to make a PDF into a jpeg but then it seperates each page into a seperate jpg. Then when i upload the jpgs, even though they are too small to read, if you double click on them, they open full screen. which is ok but i can only get one of them to do that, the other pages wont.

i am not too good with screenshots....and i dont even have a program that makes them here at work.
CTRL/PrintScreen will  capture a screen shot of the entire screen.  ALT/PrintScreen does only the active window.

Then just past them into MS Paint by clicking CTRl/V and you can crop there.  Of course if you have a better image editing program use that, but every PC has paint.

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:46 pm »
what are your thoughts on asians

they rhyme with raisins. 

sonickteam2

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 02:17:32 pm »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 05:54:53 pm »
o/\o

dave24

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 06:38:52 pm »
Wordpress.com is very easy to manipulate to look a bit more professional than many blogger/blogspot sites.

It's free.  Personally, I suggest buying a domain name for a few bucks.  It's easier to remember 930club.com than it is to remember 930club.wordpress.com.

Wordpress can link to your domain name very easily.  It'll all cost you about $20.00 per year, or you can just use them for free.

dave24

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:52 pm »
Oh - oops, I wasn't aware of what exactly you were getting at...  can you create a table in blogspot?  Or, maybe create a table in word, then import from Excel, and copy and paste...

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2009, 11:57:31 pm »
I think the people with the screenshot suggestion are on to the right idea.  The problem with Excel and Word files is that they are made to be manipulable, whereas you want to just display the final data.   And I suspect an image is the way to do that.   Even if you could create a web table, those usually look pretty ugly, and most importantly, the output can vary depending on who is viewing it from what browser.

The blog host isn't really the issue... one you get it into an image, any blog host will carry it.

I would also ask, do you really want to share all the raw data from your Excel file on your blog, or do you want to take the most key elements of it and present those in an interesting and attractive way?   Too much information is death for a blog.  You can create a smaller Excel file that uses your data and does that, and then take a screen shot of that.

For some ideas, check out this site, which presents a lot of data effectively (conservatives beware):

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/

« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 12:13:31 am by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

sonickteam2

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:23:23 am »

I would also ask, do you really want to share all the raw data from your Excel file on your blog, or do you want to take the most key elements of it and present those in an interesting and attractive way?   Too much information is death for a blog.  You can create a smaller Excel file that uses your data and does that, and then take a screen shot of that.

to get more of what I am looking for , here is the page i have begun.

www.sonickteam.blogspot.com

as you can see my chart is now in 3 pages, but only the middle page opens to be readable.

also, the screen shot thing doesnt work so well cause my spreadsheet is more than one screen.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 09:53:25 am by back to sonick »