Author Topic: Pitchfork Festival 2009  (Read 5417 times)

Vas Deferens

Pitchfork Festival 2009
« on: March 06, 2009, 12:59:15 pm »
From the Chicago Tribune:

Reunited Jesus Lizard to open Pitchfork festival with set list handpicked by fans

The reunited Jesus Lizard will play its first hometown show in 11 years July 17 at the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park, promoters will announce Friday.

The noise-rock quartet broke up in 1999, but the original lineup of David Yow, Duane Denison, David Wm. Sims, and Mac McNeilly has announced plans to play a handful of shows this year while their label, Touch & Go, reissues much of their back catalogue.

The Jesus Lizard will be part of an opening-night festival lineup that also includes Built to Spill, Tortoise and Yo La Tengo. Each of the bands will play a set handpicked by fans. Anyone who buys a ticket starting March 13 will receive an email providing a link to a web page where they can vote on which songs they?d like to hear each band perform. Voting will end June 12.

Other bands and artists confirmed for the festival include the National, Pharoahe Monch and the Pains of Being Pure at Heart on July 18 and Grizzly Bear, the Walkmen and Vivian Girls on July 19.

Additional bands for the fourth annual festival will be announced later.

(_|_)

nkotb

Re: Pitchfork Festival 2009
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 01:18:14 pm »
Holy shit that fucking rules.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 03:32:55 pm »
ROLL CALL

anyone else going? mr. p and i will be there all three days.
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 03:36:48 pm »
I'm there for the first night.  Nothing really interesting to me the rest of the weekend, but that first night is no joke.

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 09:24:00 am »
So for anyone that's been, how is the stage set up?  Is there enough time to bounce back and forth between one band ending and another beginning?  I tried to find a map but I wasn't able to pull one up.

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 09:31:07 pm »
I'm back from night one, and running on about 5 hours of sleep over a 3 day span, so I'll make this quick.  Festival set-up was nice, but I realized the big problem with fan choice setlists: the fans almost always pick the popular songs.  Look at both YLT and BTS below...there's nothing super rare on either, so that was a disappointment (although YLT had some I had never heard).  YLT were pretty boring, in all honesty; even though I voted for Hatchet, it was pretty much a snoozefest despite the guitar freakout.

No surprise to anyone with any taste in music, but the Jesus Lizard below everyone away; they even came back on for a two song encore.  November can't come soon enough.

For those that are interested in the fan choice setlists (haven't see Tortoise or JL's posted yet):

YO LA TENGO
Here to Fall
Autumn Sweater
Let's Save Tony Orlando's House
Cherry Chapstick
Stockholm Syndrome
Periodically Double or Triple
Mr. Tough
The Fireside
Tom Courtenay
Pass the Hachet, I Think I'm Goodkind
Sugarcube

BUILT TO SPILL
Liar
Stab
Strange
You Were Right
Kicked It In The Sun
Conventional Wisdom
Else
Big Dipper
In Your Mind
Virginia Reel Around The Fountain
Goin' Against Your Mind
Carry The Zero

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 10:56:30 am »
Here's Tortoise's setlist; sounds like it was out of order, but should be all of the songs:

1. Seneca (Standards #1)
2. Djed (Millions Now Living Will Never Die #1)
3. Swung From The Gutters (TNT #2)
4. Along The Bank Of Rivers (Millions Now Living Will Never Die #6)
5. TNT (TNT #1)
6. The Suspension Bridge At Iguazú Falls (TNT #7)
7. Glass Museum (Millions Now Living Will Never Die #2)

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:35 am »
i'm going to preface this by acknowledging this lineup wasn't nearly as strong as last years, but it is still a really good time for the money.

friday: both tortoise and yo la tengo were snoozefests and i spent that time just checking out the landscape and drinking sparks.

but jesus lizard and built to spill were fantastic and yes, as nkotb pointed out the fans really did pick most of the popular stuff, however bts didn't play 'car' which i thought was basically the most popular song they had...

i've never seen jesus lizard before and holyshitomgbbq. david yow is insane. also i enjoyed his jokes that led immediately into songs.

highlights of the rest of pitchfork were:
fucked up
matt & kim
final fantasy
blitzen trapper
m83
flaming lips (duh)

kinda sad i missed:
women
japandroids
(the entire matt & kim set)
the afterparty saturday night which included a hipster fight club in the basement

i'm still not convinced the national should have headlined saturday night - and i like them quite a bit. the biggest snoozefest of the entire weekend was grizzly bear. holy shit. the camera from the big screens would pan over the crowd and it looked like people were about to fall asleep. (also, this was while everyone was getting in position for the lips).

my only complaint w/ the flaming lips as a headliner on sunday is that there is a curfew on that park/location. so they have to end at 10 pm no.matter.what. which sucks because they didn't even start till about 8:45 p.m. with a catalog so deep, i would have preferred a much longer set - especially since this was my first time seeing them.
nothx

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:23:22 am »
What's brown and rhymes with "snoop"?

Dr. Dre.

i've never seen jesus lizard before and holyshitomgbbq. david yow is insane. also i enjoyed his jokes that led immediately into songs.

miss pretentious

• ohai.
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:26:51 am »
and we mustn't forget

'why did the dog lick his asshole?

because he liked the taste of my semen.'

What's brown and rhymes with "snoop"?

Dr. Dre.

nothx

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 07:03:00 pm »
damn, shit sounded fun......might have to plot to go to it next year

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 03:47:55 pm »
my only complaint w/ the flaming lips as a headliner on sunday is that there is a curfew on that park/location. so they have to end at 10 pm no.matter.what. which sucks because they didn't even start till about 8:45 p.m. with a catalog so deep, i would have preferred a much longer set - especially since this was my first time seeing them.

Nah, they don't ever play more than 90 minutes. I've seen the Lips three times in the past. I'll never pay to see them again. Same set list every time, same old songs, nothing from the past (except She Don't Use Jelly), same tired gimmicks (which I really don't mind), it's the laziness on the part of Coyne and the band that gets me. They're maximizing profits with minimal effort. I'm not expecting the band to go Pearl Jam and be breaking out B-sides and songs from 12-15 years ago that never saw the light of day, but how hard is it to play a couple different songs at each show? The Lips you see today are literally the same band, playing the same songs, from 6-7 years ago. Don't ever expect anything experimental or progressive out of these guys anymore, it's just not worth the effort to them.

Fuck you, Wayne Coyne. Keep talking trash about bands who are half your age with less than half of your music experience, but run circles around you in talent.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the thing that really pissed me off about Coyne and P4k is that the festival specifically had the Lips sign a deal as part of their "Fans Write the Setlist" theme. Well, Coyne didn't want to participate in that, so he just said "We play all the songs the fans want to hear every night!"

Go fuck yourself, you fucking douche.

EDIT 2: P4k is usually the best festival for the $. Went in 05 and 06 and it was just incredible.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 03:50:48 pm by Thousand Made-Up Loves »

BookerT

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 04:32:15 pm »
i would really hate to see what would happen if flaming lips played at the velvet lounge...

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 09:41:47 pm »
i would really hate to see what would happen if flaming lips played at the velvet lounge...
Oh god...

Someone book that, JUST so that I can see TMUL's rant.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2009, 09:45:57 pm »
Personally, I can't stand The Flaming Lips, and agree with 1,000's assesment, BUT, if they did play the Velvet, I'd have to attend just to see the bubble massacre in the room.  ;D