Author Topic: Hippies in Hampton get their mellow harshed  (Read 6349 times)

azaghal1981

Hippies in Hampton get their mellow harshed
« on: March 06, 2009, 07:22:33 pm »
This is awesomely hilarious. Or hilariously awesome. You decide.

"Phish fans who came out to the Hampton Coliseum Friday for the band?s first show in five years were shocked and a little dismayed to find Shakedown Street
closed.

Shakedown Street is what fans of the group call the row of vendors? tables and booths that are an essential part of the jam-band experience. Although a
federal judge in Norfolk ruled against allowing representatives of the band to seize suspected bootleggers? property, there was a separate, larger crackdown
on the selling of just about everything.

?They won?t let us vend,? said Sarah Rose, a 34-year-old who?d come from Portland with five of her handmade dresses ? one featured a big smiling sun ?
as well as gems and jewelry. ?They won?t let us set up anywhere. I?ve been to like 100 shows and I?ve never had this happen. This is a community. They
told us they were ?expecting the worst.? Expecting the worst of what, peace love and happiness??

With the village of peddlers gone, the parking lots at the Mothership ? sorry, the Hampton Coliseum ? were decidedly ordinary, with people simply drinking
beers from the backs of their SUVs or sitting on coolers. (Except for the people wearing wings, and the guy in the ape suit holding the sign that read
he was ape-you-know-what to get a ticket.)

The lots opened at 2 p.m. for the 7:30 show. The city said undercover cops would be patrolling the lots and they were; two guys got arrested for selling
beer, a misdemeanor that meant no handcuffs, less than an hour after the lots opened.

Adam Katz came from Manhattan with nearly $15,000 in gemstones, hoping to sell $5,000 worth. Friday he was just worried about his merchandise getting confiscated.
?If we?d had a spot I?d have easily done $10,000 in sales.?

Vendors had been pushed to an overflow lot, but even then they had to have permits, and police on bikes were checking for them. Security patrolled the
lots in golf carts; bike cops rolled up on Phil Lesh of Charlottesville, asking for his permit. He didn?t have one for the stones and hemp necklaces he
was selling, but he said he wasn?t going to pack up immediately. The permits, an officer said, were $500 and could have been purchased in advance.

Did Lesh, who?s been to countless Phish shows, know he was going to need a permit to sell shells and such here?

?Come on man,? he said. ?What do you think? I don?t need the hassle man, I?m just trying to make a living, feed my kids. It?s a depression going on.?"
احمد

killsaly

Re: Hippies in Hampton get their mellow harshed
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2009, 07:50:22 pm »
why not just go for the music, and not try and make a buck hawking their shitty ass patchouli smelling dresses and other bs? 

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2009, 08:01:33 pm »
uh, because it's the patchouli-smelling BS that financially allows them to go to the show?
<sig>

killsaly

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 08:03:59 pm »
should have hawked their wares enroute then, and/or get a real job.  it takes all kinds i suppose.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 09:19:48 am »
I'd be lying if I said that last night's setlist doesn't have me at least a little intrigued.
احمد

eros

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 09:33:05 am »
Vendors had been pushed to an overflow lot, but even then they had to have permits, and police on bikes were checking for them. Security patrolled the
lots in golf carts; bike cops rolled up on Phil Lesh of Charlottesville, asking for his permit. He didn?t have one for the stones and hemp necklaces he
was selling, but he said he wasn?t going to pack up immediately. The permits, an officer said, were $500 and could have been purchased in advance.

Something tells me that not his real name.
ʎɐʍou

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 12:12:56 pm »
I really, really want it to be, though.
احمد

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 12:56:37 pm »
Adam Katz came from Manhattan

That's either a miracle, a lie, or a bizarre coincidence.

Adam Katz

Sage 703

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 03:21:55 pm »
I'd be lying if I said that last night's setlist doesn't have me at least a little intrigued.

I am down in Hampton for all three shows, and if you're a fan of the band at all, the first night is a must listen.

K8teebug

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 08:51:40 am »
That first night was pretty much my dream setlist.  So nice of them to put the shows up for free since there is no way in hell I could deal with that crowd anymore...

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2009, 09:03:27 am »
Listening to the first night now, actually.

"Fluffhead" was surprisingly flawless.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:33:25 am »
I am listening right now as well, and while I cannot deal with the extended jams, Chalkdust Torture sounded just as good as it did back in good ol 1995.

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 09:55:33 am »
I don't mind the jams as long as they...you know...go somewhere.

That aimless funk that most of their fans eat up is some of the most aggravating shit ever.
احمد

K8teebug

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 09:57:22 am »
agreed.  Didn't like that crap when I went to shows all the time...can deal with it even less so now that I've reformed  ;)

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2009, 06:52:38 pm »
best three day set of any  band i  have ever seen.  almost feel spoiled . . . as if any other phish show from here on out will be, "not as good as hampton."