Author Topic: Anyone here dealt with reckless driving?  (Read 4271 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Anyone here dealt with reckless driving?
« on: March 10, 2009, 01:56:15 am »
I got a reckless ticket leaving the bar tonight. I was doing a 46 in a 25, I got effing lucky though I blew a .013. I have a court date set for May and I have no idea what to expect. All I keep finding are horror stories on Goog, anyone dealt with this junks? In VA? I keep reading VA is the worst when it comes to speeding. I'm scared.  :-\
‼‼?‼‼

dave24

Re: Anyone here dealt with reckless driving?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:25 am »
nothing to be TOO afraid of... I had a couple in the past - the worst was $300 and 90-day suspended license.  If you have a clean record otherwise, you should be pretty ok.  It's all going to depend on the mood your judge is in that day.  If you have a clean record, just show up, be contrite, and bite the bullet.

If you have an old enough car you could get the spedometer calibrated.  But, that'd be 20 years old or so to really help you...

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2009, 09:36:56 am »
I got a reckless ticket leaving the bar tonight. I was doing a 46 in a 25, I got effing lucky though I blew a .013. I have a court date set for May and I have no idea what to expect. All I keep finding are horror stories on Goog, anyone dealt with this junks? In VA? I keep reading VA is the worst when it comes to speeding. I'm scared.  :-\

dress nicely, show up on time, act like you are sorry, promise that you'll never speed again, and take your lumps.  expect a fine and hope that they don't suspect your license (but be prepared that they might).

you wrote that you blew "a .013" - was that a typo?  did you mean 0.13?  the legal limit is 0.08, so 0.013 would have you well under the limit unless you're on a learners permit where no BAC is allowed.  but if it is a typo, and you mean 0.13, that's the part that really worries me.  0.13 isn't "sorry i had an extra glass of wine with dinner", that's pretty much hammered.
<sig>

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2009, 10:09:26 am »
All I can say is smarten the fuck up.  Don't drink and drive and even if you've only had one or two drinks don't act like an idiot and drive over the speed limit.

I've known too many people dead in car crashes involving alcohol to be sympathetic to any consequences you suffer for this.

Sorry, you asked, you got it.  Maybe you should set aside money for higher insurance premiums or a smart trip card.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 10:11:53 am »
i think he meant .013   and by lucky, i believe he meant lucky that he wasnt drunk.

i blew a .10 once and i was fortunate (and polite) enough for the cop to just tow my car and leave me on Connecticut Ave to fetch a cab home (yes, i lived in DC once).

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:19:40 am »
sonick: o i c, makes sense... then again, there's nothing "lucky" about blowing under the limit - it's a direct consequence of not drinking too much, no luck involved :P

finding a cop who'll let you off the hook for DUI?  now THAT's lucky!  nice one.
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 10:25:21 am »
got this online:

Reckless Driving in Virginia is a serious criminal charge with possible ramifications to one's career, security clearance, and insurance costs.  Reckless driving is a Class 1 misdemeanor - in the same classification as a DUI | DWI charge.

As stated clearly in the Code of Virginia, the penalty parameters for reckless driving is up to one year in jail, and/or up to $2,500 in fines.  Reckless driving also carries the possibility of a suspension of driving privileges for up to 6 months. 
(_|_)

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 10:30:52 am »
sonick: o i c, makes sense... then again, there's nothing "lucky" about blowing under the limit - it's a direct consequence of not drinking too much, no luck involved :P

finding a cop who'll let you off the hook for DUI?  now THAT's lucky!  nice one.

way lucky.  I ran a stop sign and then sped down Conn. Ave (just as you leave DC) taking a friend home.

I was 22, my friend was 20 and was intoxicated AND had a fake ID AND prescription drugs not belonging to her on her.  When i blew over the limit he asked if my friend could drive home and then found she was underage (her ID didnt fool him!), mildly intoxicated and was in possesion of "drugs", he STILL let us go.  must have been my Canadian charm, eh?  To this day, i love Officer Duncan.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 10:31:53 am »
Lucky shmucky.  If you've had even one or two (ie not buzzed) beers you need to practice due diligence behind the wheel in case you get pulled over, cop smells beer, wants a breathalyzer.  It's common sense.  And the fact that he blew anything at all isn't going to exactly endear him to the judge when it's time for court (if in fact it's even admissable since it was under the limit).

I'm just saying don't be an idiot if you've had a few.

And if you are out drinking and have had a few and aren't sure whether or not you should, by all means please don't drive folks.  Sorry for the PSA, but I've seen first hands the devastating effects of this.  End of rant....have fun out there but don't forget to be careful!

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2009, 10:45:02 am »
lucky you are white

ditto with chaz on his rant

way lucky.  I ran a stop sign and then sped down Conn. Ave (just as you leave DC) taking a friend home.

I was 22, my friend was 20 and was intoxicated AND had a fake ID AND prescription drugs not belonging to her on her.  When i blew over the limit he asked if my friend could drive home and then found she was underage (her ID didnt fool him!), mildly intoxicated and was in possesion of "drugs", he STILL let us go.  must have been my Canadian charm, eh?  To this day, i love Officer Duncan.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 11:36:50 am »
Get a lawyer.   There's too much riding on this for you to put all your luck into crossing your fingers and looking regretful.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 11:45:03 am »
lucky you are white

you have such a miserable outlook on life and people. must be rough

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 11:55:26 am »
We've covered this before.

My advice is contained in the previous thread.
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 12:42:11 pm »
The one time I got a traffic ticket and had to go to court (in Virginia), I watched about 6 people come in with reckless tickets for going 20-25 over and the judge sent them to traffic school and dropped the ticket down to the 10-15 over charge so it wasn't a reckless ticket anymore. Not saying you'll get a similar judge, but it's possible.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 12:49:09 pm »
I was 22, my friend was 20 and was intoxicated AND had a fake ID AND prescription drugs not belonging to her on her.  When i blew over the limit he asked if my friend could drive home and then found she was underage (her ID didnt fool him!), mildly intoxicated and was in possesion of "drugs", he STILL let us go.
Who were you with, Lindsey Lohan?

Re: the google post of info in VA -- you just never know what you'll receive. I had a roommate who had so many violations and DUIs I thought he was going away for a long time. He was in way deep and did get a lawyer, but nothing happened -- other than he had to go to alcohol awareness training. He may have had a suspended license for 6mths. but he moved closer to the bars, so he's okay.  ::) Anyhow, he maintained his clearance too.

If this is your first offense and were under the alcohol limit (exact number is important here. ;)) you should be okay - classes and suspended probably. #1 is show up, do all the respectful things they said, get a lawyer if you have to...but also be those things - which means: I third what chaz says. Roads are shitty enough around here.
Try not to stress before your court date you'll just make yourself nuts. Best of luck to you.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:00:02 pm by Spring Tee »