Author Topic: Bloc Party on Letterman last nite  (Read 12021 times)

Bags

Re: Bloc Party on Letterman last nite
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2005, 01:56:00 pm »
So, I don't have the time to read all the Bloc Party threads...looks like I'll have a couple extra tickets.  Any boardies miss out and wanna go?

Yank

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2005, 01:47:00 am »
Originally posted by amnesiac:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  The Bloc Party's popularity also illustrates my point that UK indie bands have an advantage over US indie bands here.
Yup, all it takes is a covershot on the Hype Machine:

:roll:   I'm pretty sure they're more popular in the UK than the US. Same with the Sissor Sisters.

Yank

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2005, 01:53:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:

Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
 Why is this?  Because successful UK bands have the advantage of already being established as buzzworthy bands before they come to the US.  A UK band getting press coverage over there are more likely to picked up the mainstream media here, then a US band working it's way up the circuit.  
i totally agree with this, but you miss one big point ... these UK indie bands get so much press because they ARE mainstream rock in britain ... whereas mainstream rock here is aggressive, angsty buttrock

it's actually very similar to the 80s when groups like the smiths were mainstream in the UK and well-hyped "alternative" groups in the US ... mainstream US rock just doesn't accept any lack of masculinity [/b]
I don't know I'd go as far as calling most of these indie bands "mainstream in the UK".  Yeah, they get some radio play on Radio 1 and XFM but are pretty much ignored on most of the local radio stations.  

I just think that the British are more open to different types of music in general.  How else can you explain that Crazy Frog Ringtone being number one in the charts for three weeks?

xcanuck

« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2005, 10:14:00 am »
I need to crawl out from whatever rock I'm under. I still have yet to hear this band. All that will change tonite when I go to the show. I'll make up my mind then, though I'm worried about the FF comparisons. FF doesn't turn my crank.

So who IS going to the show tonite? Anyone know anything about the openers (Automato and Engineers)?

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2005, 10:19:00 am »
They have a black lead singer. White people love it when a Negro sings whitey music.

Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:
  What's the big fuss about Bloc Party?  

Arthwys

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2005, 10:44:00 am »
Automato is some sort of indie hip-hop group, they've released some stuff on Dim Mak.
Emrys

sonickteam2

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2005, 10:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer:
  They have a black lead singer. White people love it when a Negro sings whitey music.

[/b]
racist Rhett is back in action!  missed your slanderous comments, buddy! (or should i say libelous)

sonickteam2

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2005, 10:52:00 am »
Originally posted by han:

Three guys walked in together, one with a pink polo shirt, one with a light green, and one in a light blue.
in Canada, we beat those kind of people up.

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2005, 11:10:00 am »
What was racist about my comment? If it's racist, it's racist against White people, not Black people.

I'm sure a lot of white people (guilty white liberals) give bonus points to rock bands when they are/have black members. This theory helps explain the popularity of mediocre crap like Living Color.

Originally posted by sonickteam4:

[/b]
racist Rhett is back in action!  missed your slanderous comments, buddy! (or should i say libelous) [/b]

ggw

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2005, 11:11:00 am »
*yawnnnnn*

sonickteam2

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2005, 11:14:00 am »
  What was racist about my comment? If it's racist, it's racist against White people, not Black people.

I'm sure a lot of white people (guilty white liberals) give bonus points to rock bands when they are/have black members. This theory helps explain the popularity of mediocre crap like Living Color.

Of all the mountains of mediocre crap rock bands that have come out in the last 15 years, maybe 3 of them had black singers (or members as ALL of Living Color were black) and you say that is why they had thier 15 minutes?  what about the other 12,000 crap rock bands that dont have black members?

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2005, 11:18:00 am »
C'mon. Admit it. Once you found out the singer for Block Party was black and had a cute little new wavey haircut to boot, you instantly liked them more.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2005, 11:29:00 am »
there are shared influences between Franz and Bloc Party but I wouldn't say they sound the same.  Franz lean about move New Wavey and Bloc Party are more punky.  Bloc Party's guitarist is a bit more versatile, clearily influenced by Gang of Four, Pixies, and The Police.  BP's energy level is uptempo and the singer does have a great voice.

And Living Color had it's moments... Glamour Boys was a ace track...
T.Rex

xcanuck

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2005, 11:31:00 am »
Thx Kosmo. I think we'll get there in time for Engineers. By the way, I thought I'd offer here before going to the ticket xchange page...anyone need a ticket for tonite?

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2005, 11:33:00 am »
I aint no glamour boy-I'M FIERCE

Always makes me laugh to think of a black guy (named Corey, no less) in a designer hairstyle and spandex pants singing these lyrics.

(V. Reid) - Bass arrangement by M. Skillings
 The glamour boys swear they are a diva
 The glamour boys have it all under control
 Always dancing and always laughing
 The glamour boys are playing the role
 The glamour boys never have no money
 The glamour boys wear the most expensive clothes
 The glamour boys are always at the party
 Where the money comes from heaven only knows
 I ain't no glamour boy - I'M FIERCE
 I ain't no glamour boy - (snap)
 I ain't no glamour boy - I'M FIERCE