Author Topic: Bloc Party on Letterman last nite  (Read 12019 times)

Bloc Party on Letterman last nite
« on: June 01, 2005, 10:25:00 am »
What's the big fuss about Bloc Party?   Let's just say that they don't snap my elastic.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Bloc Party on Letterman last nite
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 10:42:00 am »
Young
 British
 Hottest thing on eight legs
 Vageuly angsty music
 Pimped by Urban Outfitters
 Friends of Franz
T.Rex

grotty

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 10:59:00 am »
I loathed the Franz record last year.

Yet Bloc Party is my fav of this year...One of my favorite things in quite some time.

Odd isn't it?

eatitwithmatt

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2005, 11:23:00 am »
Originally posted by Ellis D. Fleischbach:
  What's the big fuss about Bloc Party?   Let's just say that they don't snap my elastic.
agreed.  i don't know what is so exciting about them either.

Bartelby

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2005, 12:10:00 pm »
Lead guitarist...genius.

novadancer

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2005, 09:20:00 pm »
I just watched their performance on letterman (tivo'd) and have to say this... it was definitely a sub-par performance. They were on kimmel or o'brien a week or two ago and were MUCH better. I tivo all 3 late night shows and have noticed that the letterman sound isn't that great, imo.

Sir HC

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
I can not get over the compression on the record.  It is just over produced.  Sounds very annoying to me.  There are some nifty song bits in there (Television/Interpol-ish stuff).  Eh.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2005, 10:19:00 pm »
bahhh to all of you.

you're all too jaded with the deluge of post-punk revival bands to see a gem that on first glance (and listen) sounds like another clone.

i don't care if they're over-hyped or how much is written about them, bloc party's album is fucking ace and their live show is delightfully sloppy.  they have certain elements that put them at the top of the sound-alike nu-wavers like nasty drums and an emotionally engaged -- rather than monotone and icy -- singer

damn good band

now bands like the dead 60s and the kaiser chiefs i really don't get ... i'm a youngin who didn't grow up in the punk era, but i'm still kinda turned off by their extremely liberal "borrowing" from the clash and other first wave 70s punk groups, seems wholly unoriginal
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2005, 10:38:00 pm »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  bahhh to all of you.

you're all too jaded with the deluge of post-punk revival bands to see a gem that on first glance (and listen) sounds like another clone.

i don't care if they're over-hyped or how much is written about them, bloc party's album is fucking ace and their live show is delightfully sloppy.  they have certain elements that put them at the top of the sound-alike nu-wavers like nasty drums and an emotionally engaged -- rather than monotone and icy -- singer

damn good band

now bands like the dead 60s and the kaiser chiefs i really don't get ... i'm a youngin who didn't grow up in the punk era, but i'm still kinda turned off by their extremely liberal "borrowing" from the clash and other first wave 70s punk groups, seems wholly unoriginal
you just like it because you wear scarves

BLACKSTORM

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2005, 10:52:00 pm »

damn good band

They suck.  :)

madteletubbie

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2005, 11:33:00 pm »
I'd just like to know how they got so damn popular. Really, I'm curious.

My jaw dropped to the floor when I heard they sold out the Black Cat. Very rarely does a show at the Black Cat sell out, especially 1-2 months before the show even takes places. Hell, only about 2-3 days before the Teenbeat reuninon did that show sell out.  I happen to really enjoy their new CD and was looking foward to seeing them perform. Oh, well.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2005, 12:07:00 am »
Originally posted by madteletubbie:
  I'd just like to know how they got so damn popular. Really, I'm curious.

media hype and the often-overlooked fact that they're a good band

Originally posted by madteletubbie:
  My jaw dropped to the floor when I heard they sold out the Black Cat. Very rarely does a show at the Black Cat sell out
huh?  the black cat sells out tons of weekend nights, oftentimes for bands you'd never expect to sell out ... granted, it's often a walk-up crowd that sells the show out, but it's still not "rare"

i thought it was pretty normal that the bloc party show sold-out, they have tons of media hype and the reasons listed by kosmo above ... oh, that, and they're good, easy to forget about it when there's a constant hum of publicity about them
(o|o)

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 12:08:00 am »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  you just like it because you wear scarves
huh?

i've owned a few scarves in my life, all of which i've lost or left somewhere ... i'm from florida, why would i wear scarves?
(o|o)

ratioci nation

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2005, 01:26:00 am »
 huh?

i've owned a few scarves in my life, all of which i've lost or left somewhere ... i'm from florida, why would i wear scarves?
because you like emo, bloc party sound like Jimmy Eat World, Remember? try and keep up

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2005, 08:17:00 am »
The Bloc Party CD is good but it does sound like the guitarist was attempting to quote everyone under the sun.  Pixies, U2, Gang of Four... Live some of the gloss disappears and the chaos is fun to bounce along to.

From what I've heard of the Dead 60s they are a band I will enjoy... Sure they sound like the Clash but then again the Clash are gone and the Dead 60s appear passionate enough to replace them.  

I much prefer the Kaiser Chiefs over say Kasabian... Both groups are guilty of releasing ablums that end up sounding like a compliation of past bands.  In the case of the Kaiser Chiefs it's Blur and The Fun Boy Three
T.Rex