Author Topic: Turntables  (Read 3565 times)

HoyaSaxa03

Turntables
« on: March 15, 2009, 02:09:37 pm »
so i'm looking to upgrade my turntable to an "entry level" audiophile deck

thinking about the pro-ject debut III and the rega P1 (http://www.soundadviceblog.com/?p=530), also thinking about buying a used technics 1200 on ebay

any thoughts/advice/experience?
(o|o)

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Turntables
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 02:30:19 pm »
www.audiogon.com

Great place to buy, sell and research.  In fact, I just sold my pre/pro up there yesterday and still have and amp to sell.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 03:28:42 pm »
i don't think i'm ready to jump into the audiophile community just yet, seems like an enormously time- and money-consuming hobby... just trying to find a decent turntable that will presumably sound a lot better than the one i have right now

currently running:

Onkyo TX-8555
Sony SSF-5000
Numark PT01
(o|o)

chaz

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 05:12:43 pm »
With that amp/speaker combo I doubt you'll notice much of a difference with a new turntable.  It's like buying nicer china but filling with the same old slop.

If you want to improve the sound of that rig your best move would be to upgrade your speakers.  They are by far the most important piece of the audio puzzle.  You gotta ditch those sonys.....otherwise you're just pissing $$ away on everything behind them in the chain.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 05:17:50 pm by chaz »

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2009, 05:21:04 pm »
If you want to improve the sound of that rig your best move would be to upgrade your speakers.  They are by far the most important piece of the audio puzzle.

And get the best cartridge you can afford, especially if you listen to a lot of vinyl, listen critically, and/or intend to make transfers.
😐 🎶

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:44:42 pm »
With that amp/speaker combo I doubt you'll notice much of a difference with a new turntable.  It's like buying nicer china but filling with the same old slop.

If you want to improve the sound of that rig your best move would be to upgrade your speakers.  They are by far the most important piece of the audio puzzle.  You gotta ditch those sonys.....otherwise you're just pissing $$ away on everything behind them in the chain.

yeah, the speakers are next on my to-do list... so you think it wouldn't make any difference to get a better turntable before i replace the speakers?
(o|o)

chaz

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2009, 07:35:20 pm »

yeah, the speakers are next on my to-do list... so you think it wouldn't make any difference to get a better turntable before i replace the speakers?

Definately not if it were me, especially considering the speakers you have.  As a general rule, speakers should make up about half of the cost of your system.  They, along with the room itself, are the most important factor in how good everything sounds.  I'm a bit of a geek when it comes to all this...PM me if you want and I'd love to help you get to the promised land.....