Author Topic: Stone Roses to Reunite  (Read 4889 times)

Sage 703

Stone Roses to Reunite
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:19:38 pm »
http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/03/17/stone-roses-to-reform-madchester-legends-plan-summer-tour-exclusive-115875-21203802/

The Stone Roses are re-forming for a summer tour.

At least 21 gigs have been planned for the UK and there are talks of a US date ? possibly the Coachella Festival in California. The gigs will coincide with the re-release of the band?s self-titled debut album.

It first came out on March 13, 1989 and shot them to fame with hits including I Wanna Be Adored and I Am The Resurrection. It is regularly voted best album ever.

Singer Ian Brown, who has a solo career, was the only one not sure about re-forming. But he was persuaded by guitarist John Squire, bassist Mani and drummer Reni. A source said: ?It?s taken a lot of time to get Ian to agree but he?s finally signed on the dotted line.

?The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.? Squire, who designed the album?s iconic cover, quit in 1996 amid rows with Ian. The pair are rumoured never to have spoken since.

Reni left the year before and Mani plays bass for Primal Scream, who he joined in 1996.

Last year Mani said he would love to do a reunion ?before we are all fat and bald?.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Stone Roses to Reunite
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 04:36:57 pm »
?The rest of the band were really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.?

Last year Mani said he would love to do a reunion ?before we are all fat and bald?.

honesty in advertising - love it.
<sig>

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:05:32 pm »
As an owner of numerous Stone Roses bootlegs, I can say that their live show is not their strong point. So it's a bit of a shame they're seemingly only doing this to tour. Eh, I'd still chance it, but man, they were not much of a live band.
oword

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 05:11:08 pm »
i wonder if they'll go the way of blur before the shows even happen....

British rockers Blur's much-heralded comeback looks set to be shortlived - drummer Dave Rowntree wants to quit music completely to concentrate on his new career as a barrister.

After announcing plans for a reunion earlier this year, Blur burst back onto the scene with a secret performance at the NME Awards last month, a taster for a string of UK gigs this summer.

But the band will have to find a new percussionist if they want to prolong the comeback - Rowntree has embraced an internship at a London law firm, and wants to make it his full time job.

He reveals, "I only went along for a day but then they said I could go in once a week as work experience. Now I go in three times a week. Hopefully I can go and work there when I'm finished with the Blur tour."

Rowntree is also due to revive his political ambitions after being selected to represent Britain's Labour Party as a local councillor.

HeyLa

nkotb

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 05:18:06 pm »
When I read this, I thought it said "barista," which made me think "God, putting up with Damon must be even more unbearable that I could've imagined."

Still, to keep things on topic, I'd see a Stone Roses reunion show...

iBritish rockers Blur's much-heralded comeback looks set to be shortlived - drummer Dave Rowntree wants to quit music completely to concentrate on his new career as a barrister.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 05:20:53 pm »
Im just saying with a head as big as Ian's it could be shortlived. I'm definitely on board for seeing them as Ian Brown solo just isnt the same. But I did get to see The Seahorses with Andy Bell and Squire - so at least Ive gotten to see them. Just would be so much better if it were a Stone Roses show. Squire is insane!

Or was it Hurricane #1?? I probably messed up the bands - but I did see both of them.
HeyLa

redsock

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 05:35:41 pm »
According to NME -- consider the source -- Ian's people have denied this is actually happening, claiming that he is focusing on a solo album this year.

From one UK rag to the next, unless we see a press release from someone official, I wouldn't hold your breath.

bearman🐻

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 06:18:28 pm »
The Stone Roses aren't quite epic live, but the Blackpool show and the bootleg "Stand Still" are pretty awesome. That being said, when I saw them at WUST they really brought it. "I am the Resurrection" is still ringing in my ears. Ian's vocals are totally hit and miss. I'd still love to see them with Reni though, instead I saw Robbie Jay. He was a good drummer, but he was no Reni. John Squire truly is a genius though.

reggie

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2009, 11:09:52 pm »
yeah i dont think this is happening...

Arthwys

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2009, 11:29:24 pm »
xneverwherex... Don't lose hope on Blur yet!  Dave has said he's not through with the band...

http://www.nme.com/news/blur/43313
Emrys

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 08:34:41 am »
I wonder if Ian can even get a visa to visit the US, given the fact he did time over the air rage incident....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/200016.stm

dunno i'd be just as happy seeking squire, mani and reni doing instrumental stuff, plus didn't reni at least sing backup vocals for the band?
T.Rex

jd930

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 09:45:17 am »
The Stone Roses aren't quite epic live, but the Blackpool show and the bootleg "Stand Still" are pretty awesome. That being said, when I saw them at WUST they really brought it. "I am the Resurrection" is still ringing in my ears. Ian's vocals are totally hit and miss. I'd still love to see them with Reni though, instead I saw Robbie Jay. He was a good drummer, but he was no Reni. John Squire truly is a genius though.

I agree that the WUST show was great. My one and only time seeing them. I would definitely see them again if they were to come around.  From what I've read of the situation, I'm not getting my hopes up about it.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 10:45:59 am »
I had no idea the Stone Roses made the best album ever.  I'll have to go and give it a listen.

bearman🐻

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 10:46:53 am »
Coachella needs a headliner for day 2, a real one...not the Killers. And as much as I love Thievery, they're not enough of a draw. With Amy Winehouse dropping out, I cannot fathom anyone paying over $100 without a major artist (one with staying power) being added.  I heard rumors that it will be Neil Young, but I could still see Blur doing it. They're actively rehearsing, and I can't imagine the Stone Roses are since Mani is on tour with Primal Scream. The cool thing about Blur is that I read they are playing every song from every album to see what stuff they're enjoying the most. I think that's awesome.

Mobius

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »
I had no idea the Stone Roses made the best album ever.  I'll have to go and give it a listen.

The argument could certainly be made