Author Topic: Hey Seth!  (Read 16858 times)

wml7

Re: Hey Seth!
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2009, 01:05:01 pm »
i was going to put this in the real hey seth thread, but i like this one better.

merriweather phish show sells out on ticketmaster in one minute!  i was trying for one, was in and got the no tickets available page before the clock hit 1001.  wow.  i know you have nothing to do with this, but damn . . . will the ticket industry of greed and scalper with their programs ever stop?  lucky for some us that there are bands like phish who have lotteries where fans can request tickets directly from them.  i scored two phish shows, including a merriweather lawn through the lottery.  would love to see all bands only do this for each venue and make it a two ticket limit per person with names of buyers printed on them.   

oh crap I completely forgot about this sale today.  I wonder if peope who were at work and had faster internet had better luck with getting tickets.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2009, 01:07:01 pm »
$9 guinness?! :o

Just to clarify, a Guinness draft is $7.00. However the Pub Can, which is 14.9 oz. as compared to our 12 oz. tap draft does run $9.00. We have Guinness on tap at the Backbar and VIP bar, but not on the main floor. If you want a Guinness from either of the main floor bars you'll have to get it in the Pub Can.

I think the new prices are absurd.  $8 for the can was absurd, but $9 is just ridiculous, especially since I can buy a four pack of the cans retail for less than $8, and I'm sure you guys pay less than that.  And then there's the $4 for a bottle of water that was already an absurd $3 and that probably costs the club all of 25-50 per bottle at most.  So from now on it will be tap water, or drinking @ Duffy's.  And the ticket prices this year have been wacky, too ($25 for TVOTR good.  $35 for Estelle?  yeah right).  
PANTS

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2009, 01:13:28 pm »
They have to make their money somewhere, why not make it on people desperate to drink?

They're probably not making much money on ticket sales, that money's probably going to the bands, as it's the only way band can make money these days since we're all stealing their music.
s

$9 guinness?! :o

Just to clarify, a Guinness draft is $7.00. However the Pub Can, which is 14.9 oz. as compared to our 12 oz. tap draft does run $9.00. We have Guinness on tap at the Backbar and VIP bar, but not on the main floor. If you want a Guinness from either of the main floor bars you'll have to get it in the Pub Can.

I think the new prices are absurd.  $8 for the can was absurd, but $9 is just ridiculous, especially since I can buy a four pack of the cans retail for less than $8, and I'm sure you guys pay less than that.  And then there's the $4 for a bottle of water that was already an absurd $3 and that probably costs the club all of 25-50 per bottle at most.  So from now on it will be tap water, or drinking @ Duffy's.  And the ticket prices this year have been wacky, too ($25 for TVOTR good.  $35 for Estelle?  yeah right).  

walkonby

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2009, 02:08:42 pm »
i was going to put this in the real hey seth thread, but i like this one better.

merriweather phish show sells out on ticketmaster in one minute!  i was trying for one, was in and got the no tickets available page before the clock hit 1001.  wow.  i know you have nothing to do with this, but damn . . . will the ticket industry of greed and scalper with their programs ever stop?  lucky for some us that there are bands like phish who have lotteries where fans can request tickets directly from them.  i scored two phish shows, including a merriweather lawn through the lottery.  would love to see all bands only do this for each venue and make it a two ticket limit per person with names of buyers printed on them.   

oh crap I completely forgot about this sale today.  I wonder if peope who were at work and had faster internet had better luck with getting tickets.

faster than one minute?  somehow i doubt it.  and seeing how there are already over three hundred seperate listings for tickets to the merriweather show on ebay alone (with some even saying they have the tickets in hand, and not the ticketfaster printout ones . . . one even has a picture of the tickets) i can only hope the band attempts to step in and cancel every one of those orders.  yeah, as i slap myself in the head, right . . . sure they will.

just checked stubhub . . . . there are about 400 lawn tickets for sale at that site.  that's one site.  that pretty much means almost every lawn tickets went to a scalper.  hey seth, perhaps it is time you do step in and attempt something.  not sure what you could do though, but the effort would shine an even bigger sparkle in my eye toward you  ;)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 02:23:20 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2009, 02:35:55 pm »
just checked stubhub . . . . there are about 400 lawn tickets for sale at that site.  that's one site.  that pretty much means almost every lawn tickets went to a scalper. 

i take it that you haven't ever been to merriweather, otherwise you'd know how silly "400 = almost every lawn ticket" is...  lawn holds something like 10,000 (total venue capacity: 19,316 according to da wiki).
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2009, 02:52:38 pm »
just checked stubhub . . . . there are about 400 lawn tickets for sale at that site.  that's one site.  that pretty much means almost every lawn tickets went to a scalper. 

i take it that you haven't ever been to merriweather, otherwise you'd know how silly "400 = almost every lawn ticket" is...  lawn holds something like 10,000 (total venue capacity: 19,316 according to da wiki).

that is why i said "one site."  +ebay +amazon +every scalper site +ticketmaster auction +etc........  and sorry, i went back to stubhub.  there are 1000 lawn seats available.

and if merriweather lawn can hold 10000+, how does ticketmaster process that many orders in one minute?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:08:41 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2009, 01:53:50 pm »
that is why i said "one site."  +ebay +amazon +every scalper site +ticketmaster auction +etc........ 

chances are scalpers list tickets on more than one site, thus you can't do a simple addition of all the sites... you'd be double-counting.

and sorry, i went back to stubhub.  there are 1000 lawn seats available.

this news should make you happy: i'm not convinced scalpers will be able to sell that many tickets at those high prices.  i wouldn't be surprised if you saw a bunch of cheap tickets appear in the week before the show.

and if merriweather lawn can hold 10000+, how does ticketmaster process that many orders in one minute?

distributed computing, server farms with hundreds machines, high-speed networking... it can be done.  also, the entire order doesn't have to be processed before the show is shown as "sold out", the tickets only have to be reserved - that's the first screen after the captcha, where you're shown what seats the system is offering you.  that's a simple database hit, not very computer-intensive.  pulling up your account/entering your billing info and the credit card processing, that takes time - but the show can be sold out before then, since the tickets are taken out of the available inventory pool.
<sig>

walkonby

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2009, 02:53:26 pm »
damn . . . you're good.  ;)

azaghal1981

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2009, 04:58:37 pm »
It just goes to show you that thinking things through rationally always trumps gut-based reactionary posts. Don't get me wrong; I've been guilty of it, too.
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 10:24:57 am »
but arent the gut-based reactionary posts the ones that make this board worth reading?

azaghal1981

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 03:04:22 pm »
Completely.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 03:22:52 pm »
but arent the gut-based reactionary posts the ones that make this board worth reading?

and here i thought your posts were the ones that made this place interesting.  :D

sonickteam2

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2009, 01:28:32 pm »

and here i thought your posts were the ones that made this place interesting.  :D

this place isnt that interesting, actually.

walkonby

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2009, 01:59:01 pm »

this place isnt that interesting, actually.

most of the time, you are right.  but there are sometimes some people who do make it a nice break from work to glance over and have a smirk (in a good way).  you, whether you know it or not, are one of those people who please.