Author Topic: Whoever said hockey players were goons?  (Read 3536 times)

sonickteam2

Whoever said hockey players were goons?
« on: March 09, 2004, 11:20:00 am »
I know, another hockey thread, but this is pretty nasty...it might take a minute to load though.

This isnt nice

Associated Press
 VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Colorado forward Steve Moore was taken off the ice on a stretcher after being jumped from behind by Vancouver forward Todd Bertuzzi midway through the third period of a game the Avalanche led 8-2 and won 9-2.

Moore delivered the hit last month that knocked Canucks captain Markus Naslund out for three games with a concussion.

Bertuzzi sought revenge when he punched Moore in the head from behind while skating at center ice. Bertuzzi jumped on Moore's back and drove him face first into the ice, knocking him unconscious.

Less than two hours after the final horn, the NHL suspended Bertuzzi, who was given a match penalty for intent to injure, indefinitely -- without pay. There will be a hearing Wednesday morning at the league's office in Toronto.

Trainers from both teams rushed to Moore's side while players from both teams squared off for more fights. Moore was motionless on the ice with a puddle of blood pouring onto the ice around him.

Avalanche officials said Moore was conscious as he was taken from the arena to a hospital.

After a 10-minute delay, during which Colorado coach Tony Granato tried to get at the Canucks bench and screamed at Vancouver coach Marc Crawford, Moore was strapped onto a stretcher and wheeled out of the arena.

Moore, a 25-year-old checking center, fought Matt Cooke early in the first period and scored a goal. He has five goals and seven assists in 56 games with Colorado this season.

Bertuzzi was assessed a five-minute match penalty.

Moore wasn't penalized for the Feb. 16 hit on Naslund. At the time, Crawford said it was "a cheap shot by a young kid on a captain, the leading scorer in the league."

Re: Whoever said hockey players were goons?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2004, 11:39:00 am »
Isn't there a nice hockey-themed bboard somewheres that you can molest?

Bags

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2004, 11:44:00 am »
I give sonick props, though, for at least naming this thread "hockey" something -- has anyone else noticed how so many of the hockey or soccer threads have very ambiguous names, sucking you in because you don't know it's going to be another hockey/soccer/futbol thread?
   :D

saco

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2004, 11:47:00 am »
Originally posted by Dupek Chopra:
  Isn't there a nice hockey-themed bboard somewheres that you can molest?
Pot meet kettle.

sonickteam2

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2004, 11:50:00 am »
Originally posted by Bags:
  I give sonick props, though, for at least naming this thread "hockey" something -- has anyone else noticed how so many of the hockey or soccer threads have very ambiguous names, sucking you in because you don't know it's going to be another hockey/soccer/futbol thread?
    :)   its hard to talk about music ALL the time

Guiny

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2004, 11:57:00 am »
Sounds like something Tie Domi would do to anyone on Boston, leave them in the middle of the rink in a pool of blood.   :cool:

mankie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 12:00:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:
  Sounds like something Tie Domi would do to anyone on Boston, leave them in the middle of the rink in a pool of blood.    ;)  

What cracks me up about the whole thing is the savage attack was revenge for a non-penalized hit by a rookie on a veteran, who's the leading scorer...well no wonder he's the leading scorer if nobody is allowed to check him!!

eltee

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
  threads have very ambiguous names, sucking you in because you don't know it's going to be another <insert word> thread?
Kettle meet pot.

Bags

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2004, 12:04:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

:)     its hard to talk about music ALL the time
And certainly we don't....it's those "coded" thread titles that get me every time!

My fave example recently, "Back to important topics" -- I thought we were going to tear apart another "best of" list from The Guardian.    :p

Guiny

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2004, 12:05:00 pm »
Originally posted by mankie:
 What cracks me up about the whole thing is the savage attack was revenge for a non-penalized hit by a rookie on a veteran, who's the leading scorer...well no wonder he's the leading scorer if nobody is allowed to check him!! [/QB]
Guess Vancouver's enforcers arent very intimidating if their best player is getting hit by a rookie.

mankie

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2004, 12:16:00 pm »
Originally posted by Rob_Gee_a.k.a _Guiny:

Originally posted by mankie:
 What cracks me up about the whole thing is the savage attack was revenge for a non-penalized hit by a rookie on a veteran, who's the leading scorer...well no wonder he's the leading scorer if nobody is allowed to check him!! [/b]
Guess Vancouver's enforcers arent very intimidating if their best player is getting hit by a rookie. [/QB]
Well, the fact that they attack from the back is evidence of that.

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2004, 12:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by El Tee:

threads have very ambiguous names, sucking you in because you don't know it's going to be another <insert word> thread?
Kettle meet pot. [/b]
you got a problem El Tee?

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2004, 01:46:00 pm »
I saw that last night.  What cracked me up was Tony Granato of all people going after Marc Crawford.  Anybody Remember Tony swinging his stick at Neil Wilkinson, without a doubt one of the worst cases of ice rage I've ever seen?  

A serious case of pot/kettle and I hope Marc said that to Tony.

Nonetheless, a long suspension is the right answer.
27>34

sonickteam2

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2004, 01:54:00 pm »
the link i posted on the beginning of the topic is actually the audio/video footage of this incident, it was brought to my attention that that was not clear.

if you want to see/hear footage, click that link.

back to your originally scheduled argument.

eltee

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2004, 02:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by sonickteam2:

Originally posted by El Tee:

Kettle meet pot. [/b]
you got a problem El Tee? [/b]
no......Wait, yeah I do. Bring your stick & meet me on the blacktop for a duel.