Author Topic: The Shins  (Read 1808 times)

eltee

The Shins
« on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:42 am »
Here you go! And, here are your comments from JA to help:

I hate when the guys on my iPod start beating up their girlfriends. It?s not like I boycott their music: I?ve enjoyed the songs of many a criminal, some of whom have probably knocked around a few ladies. But when it happens in real time, I?m out. This small trend started early in 2008. I was reading Elyse Sewell?s blog?if you watched the first season of America?s Next Top Model, you?d recognize Elyse, and maybe remember that she dated a guy named Marty. Martin Crandall plays keyboard for the Shins, and apparently he roughed Elyse up and she wrote about it. Next thing I knew, I couldn?t lose myself in ?Turn On Me? or ?Sea Legs? or ?Australia? the way I could before. I felt vaguely embarrassed when they popped up on shuffle, and yearned for more innocent times. (It was also weird to think about a sweet-looking hipster like Crandall being a violent guy).
The Shins aren?t alone, of course. You may have heard about a young singer named Christopher Brown who was recently charged with felony accounts of assault after beating up one Rihanna. The duet Brown sang with Jordin Sparks, ?No Air,? has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and part of what I loved was how unabashedly over-the-top teenagery it was. Then my view of Brown changed. I like my singing teenagers overwrought and funny, not overwrought and violent. ?No Air? is no longer fun to listen to, and the title has nothing to do with it.

Sorry for the intrusion on the Just Announced Thread.. I'll make it brief.

I wasn't there, but I hardly think this qualifies him as a girlfriend beater.  Martin and Elyse both pressed assault charges on each other, they were both eventually dropped.  Sounds to me like they just got in an argument and got in a fight over it.  To press assault charges you need some kind of physical proof for them to stick.. neither did.  As far as I've heard this is an isolated incident which could or could not have actually even happened.

I've been in dozens, if not hundreds of fights, I'd hardly call myself violent.  I grew up in Richmond, people fight, it happens, it's really not that big of deal.  I've never even come remotely close to angrily touching/hitting/anything a girlfriend of mine or my current fiancee.  It's not to say that I haven't been highly pissed off at them, that also just happens when you care that much about someone.  So yeah, all we actually know is, they got pissed off at each other and a blog post was made.  It sucks that was enough to make you not enjoy them anymore.  Additionally, he just a keyboard player.. it's not like he's a real band member anyway, ohhhhhh.

imbecile

Re: The Shins
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:48:24 am »
In it's proper place now..

You've been in hundreds of fights? You sound like a real winner. Or a professional wrestler.  :D

Ha.  I was one of three white kids in a school of like 3,000 (Petersburg, VA) for middle/high school, early to mid-90's.  Not like I was out looking for trouble.. it just seemed to find me.  The Rodney King verdict didn't do me any favors.  Then in the punk/hardcore scene in Richmond at the time when H804 had something to prove and you couldn't go to a show without someone having a problem with someone.  It was never my fault, i swear.

Nevertheless.  I just had a mild-issue with the girlfriend beater reference on circumstantial evidence at best, being a reason to not enjoy them.  Him being a douche, check.  Him ruining their live show to an extent, check.  I've got no disagreement that the band would probably be better without him.

eltee

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 09:59:32 am »
dag. price range for shows: $28 - 39.50 w/ 930 being $35 (plus w/c fee 4.50)
Who is opening?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:03:48 am by Spring Tee »

wml7

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 10:00:12 am »