Author Topic: Maxim Reviews the Black Crowes Without Actually Hearing  (Read 3094 times)

Sage 703

Maxim Reviews the Black Crowes Without Actually Hearing
« on: February 25, 2008, 02:30:00 pm »
Do we have boardies writing for Maxim now?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080223/ap_en_mu/music_black_crowes_maxim_8

NEW YORK - The Black Crowes are lashing out at Maxim magazine for reviewing the band's new album â?? apparently without actually hearing it first.

The review, published in Maxim's March issue, gives the Crowes' "Warpaint" a rating of two-and-a-half stars out of five.

"The writer â?? who has not heard the album since advance CDs were not made available â?? wrote what appears to be a disparaging assessment anyway, citing, `it hasn't left Chris Robinson and the gang much room for growth,'" said a statement on the band's official Web site.

The band's manager, Pete Angelus, said the magazine explained that its review was an "educated guess."

"It speaks directly to the lack of the publication's credibility," Angelus said in a statement. "In my opinion, it's a disgrace to the arts, journalism, critics, the publication itself and the public. What's next â?? Maxim's concert reviews of shows they never attended, book reviews of books never read and film reviews of films never seen?"

A representative for the magazine would not confirm or deny to The Associated Press whether the writer actually listened to the album. Instead, Maxim released this statement in response: "Maxim will continue to provide our readers with information that is important to them, whether it is about fashion, lifestyle, technology, music, movies and more."

"Warpaint," the band's first album in seven years, is set for release March 4. The blues-rock group, fronted by Chris Robinson, has released only one song from the disc, "Goodbye Daughters of the Revolution."

The band's hits include "Hard to Handle" and "She Talks to Angels."

Re: Maxim Reviews the Black Crowes Without Actually Hearing
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 02:43:00 pm »
If advance copies were not made available, why does the last issue of Paste contain a four star review of the album?

Did they review it without hearing it as well? Did they give an unheard album four starrs perhaps because they were putting the Crowes on the cover, and gave them four stars in exchange for the time that Chris Robinson gave to the reporter at his high price California pad?

If you read the Paste article, you without a doubt come away feeling like Chris Robinson is the biggest fucking poseur in music. Or so I did.

Sage 703

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 02:47:00 pm »
That's a good question that I don't know the answer to - but I would imagine it is tied to the cover story.  They likely held a listening session for the writer covering the band.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2008, 03:31:00 pm »
Maxim does that a lot.  I wouldn't be surprised if in a couple of months (say by April's issue) they have movie "reviews" of summer movies that there is no WAY they have seen yet, like Indiana Jones or Batman.

First, the Old Grey Lady and now Maxim.  It's been a bad week for journalistic ethics.

Brian

godsshoeshine

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 03:33:00 pm »
what do you want to bet there is a ysi or torrent out there and this reviewer downloaded it illegally
o/\o

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:40:00 pm »
Since when did Maxim ever have a shred of journalistic credibility anyway? It's an exceedingly dumbass magazine read by moronic fratboy blockheads.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 04:01:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
  Since when did Maxim ever have a shred of journalistic credibility anyway? It's an exceedingly dumbass magazine read by moronic fratboy blockheads.
Hey! That magazine taught me to make a potato gun out of a paper towel roll.
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 04:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  what do you want to bet there is a ysi or torrent out there and this reviewer downloaded it illegally
That was my first thought, but my quick look didn't find anything (I'm not on any registration required sites).

But I think the telling point is that review wasn't favorable.  As Charlie points out, had the review been favorable like Paste, they would have had no questions about the writer's integrity.

What musician reads their own reviews anyway, or more so, cares enough to comment about them?
27>34

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 04:13:00 pm »
Now that I think about it, I think the BC Paste article was not a cover story, but everything else I said was accurate...

lbcardoni

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 04:27:00 pm »
Correct, the cover story was about Michael Jackson

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 04:47:00 pm »
I could review the Black Crowes without hearing it........IT'S SHYTE

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »
Originally posted by Brain Walrus:
  I could review the Black Crowes without hearing it........IT'S SHYTE
This coming from someone who reveres the Spice Girls and Morrissey.

Brian

Relaxer

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 04:59:00 pm »
Originally posted by vansmack:
 What musician reads their own reviews anyway, or more so, cares enough to comment about them?
99% of them, I'd reckon
oword

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 03:48:00 pm »
Originally posted by Charlie Nakatestes,Japanese Golfer:
you see, i would figure that moronic fratboy blockhead homophobic, yet secretly homosexual dumbasses would like the new black crowes without hearing it
o/\o

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 04:23:00 pm »
Originally posted by god's shoeshine:
  moronic fratboy blockhead dumbasses
We're so misunderstood.  You couldn't have shoehorned "homophobic, yet secretly homosexual" in there?

Brian