Author Topic: K'Naan, should i stay or should I go?  (Read 3638 times)

sonickteam2

K'Naan, should i stay or should I go?
« on: April 02, 2009, 10:24:44 pm »
  So my friend is in town tomorrow night and I am obliged to hang with her. Her and her friends are going to see this K'naan guy at the old Hammerjacks club or whatever tomorrow.

Anyone seen this cat? I am just listening to him now.  I know he's nothing new but anyway.

its only $10.     if you've seen him, a quick review would be cool. If you have, snarky comments are fine.

azaghal1981

Re: K'Naan, should i stay or should I go?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 10:28:44 pm »
I heard he was amazing at Millennium stage a few weeks back.
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 10:44:30 pm »
coolness. yeah, i am liking his stuff, he's a bit like Lupe Fiasco but a bit more funky Root-ish.

hip hop shows in Baltimore are always iffy though.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 10:47:42 pm »
I LOOOOVE K'naan, definetly check him out. His first cd was soooo trash though which is why I was hesitant about his new one. His new one is off the wall though, I really dig it.
‼‼?‼‼

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 11:42:13 pm »
Hip hop shows everywhere are always iffy. I'm two for three this year, though. Wu-Tang were pretty good and Common was great. Mos Def on the other hand...well there's a thread about that.

coolness. yeah, i am liking his stuff, he's a bit like Lupe Fiasco but a bit more funky Root-ish.

hip hop shows in Baltimore are always iffy though.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 12:06:42 am »
uh... i might be wrong, but i think sonick means "iffy" as in "questionably safe", not "questionably enjoyable".
<sig>

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 12:12:44 am »
oh
احمد

sonickteam2

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 08:36:37 am »
uh... i might be wrong, but i think sonick means "iffy" as in "questionably safe", not "questionably enjoyable".

i did

and dont get me wrong, it has nothing to do with race.  but I suppose theres the hip-hop crowd adn the "rap" crowd.  and since i was just listening to him when i posted, i wasnt sure which i was getting.

he seems way more hip hop than rap. 

and judging from their facebook event RSVP's its half of this years UMBC's graduating class....
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:47:04 am by back to sonick »

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 08:48:25 am »
You can see him for free at Soundgarden (maybe a less iffy venue?). They're also giving away free tickets to his Hammerjack's show.

Though if I lived in Baltimore, I'd be more inclined to see the free in-store by Bill Callahan. But then again, I'm a white lover of dad rock.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:50:01 am by Charlie Nakatestes, Japanese Golfer »

MonkeyPants

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 09:37:24 am »
K'NAAN is a fantastic live performer and you will be missing out if you don't go to the show.  $10 is a bargain for the show this guy puts on.  I'd go if I didn't have like 10,000 different plans for tonight already.
PANTS

xcanuck

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:06 am »
K'Naan is really good - one of the few rap/hiphop acts that I really like. He can actually sing (gasp!) and his lyrics are intelligent. I've only seen him once (at one of the Toronto Island festivals a few years back). I'd definitely go see him if I wasn't playing hockey at the Verizon Centre tonite  ::)

sonickteam2

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 01:08:31 pm »
You can see him for free at Soundgarden (maybe a less iffy venue?). They're also giving away free tickets to his Hammerjack's show.

Though if I lived in Baltimore, I'd be more inclined to see the free in-store by Bill Callahan. But then again, I'm a white lover of dad rock.

yeah, i'll be at the soundgarden thing.  not really the best venue though.  and hopefully i'll get some free tickets, too.

thanks for your input people :)