Author Topic: Death Cab Roll Call  (Read 4731 times)

bearman🐻

Re: Death Cab Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 11:37:30 am »
I think it depends on the band and where you sit. The Pixies were not a good band to have there. Bands like Belle and Sebastian and DCFC were great...you could sit if you want or stand (most people in the orchestra were standing), and last night the sound was really clear from where I was sitting and there was a perfect balance of everyone. The bass was terrific. I was surprised at how the Arcade Fire turned that whole place into one big party. I generally am not a fan of the balcony, but again, it depends where you are sitting. When it comes down to it, I'd rather see a band at DAR than travel up to Baltimore (though I guess ultimately I'd be happy to do both as opposed to not have a band come to DC at all).

Sage 703

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 12:26:28 pm »
i'd just like to point out that i'm not the only one who thinks DAR can be a perfectly fine venue.  all those people on auto-hate need to open their minds.  maybe it's because it doesn't always sound great that people are up in arms?  in that case blame the sound techs.

Seconded.  My Morning Jacket, Morrissey, Arcade Fire, and Ryan Adams (if you're into his Dead-ish stuff, which I am) all sounded great there.  Death Cab sounded alright when I saw them with Franz Ferdinand.  I'm sure I'm forgetting some others - but I have no big grudge about D.A.R.  You just have to be mindful of what band your seeing in deciding whether to go to a show there or not.

I agree that the Pixies were a poor choice.  I thought Franz Ferdinand was poor as well - too much reverb for a band that thrives on quick changes and staccato guitars.

yohansen5b

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 07:07:34 pm »
in philly i was surprised at how little they used their light set-up.  they had these LED "light poles" around the stage that they lit up exactly twice - was a waste IMO, they could have been used a lot more effectively.  hopefully they did more with them in DC.

i used to subscribe to the school of thought that the more to look at during a concert was generally a bad thing.  you can be distracted by how bad a bad band is when there are all these distractions on stage.  (another way to think of it: would anyone enjoy or even see a kelly clarkson concert, for example, if they didn't have all the dancing, wardrobe changes, pyrotechnics, etc?).

however, i've changed.  i realize how much good lighting can really make a good band that much more awesome.  the arcade fire's show at dar a few years ago comes to mind as does a lot of wilco shows i've seen.

the point of this is that the lighting at the dcfc show seemed rather amateur.  in fact, the whole stage looked rather..."meh."  the band played so well but the lighting didn't do anything worthwhile. 

i'd just like to point out that i'm not the only one who thinks DAR can be a perfectly fine venue.  all those people on auto-hate need to open their minds.  maybe it's because it doesn't always sound great that people are up in arms?  in that case blame the sound techs.

agreed.  of the handfull of shows i've seen at dar, i've always enjoyed them.  what really sucks, though, is when the show is sold out, there's a line out the door for both the bathroom and the bar, and the only atm in the house is broken -- like last night.

also, if i may step up on my soapbox of show courtesy, it drives me up the wall when people head for the exits halfway through the last song - especially in large numbers.  so many people were fleeing to the metro halfway through "transatlanticism".  i always wonder if they all stayed and clapped, we'd might get a chance at another encore from the band. 
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 07:11:35 pm by yohansen5b »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 09:29:27 pm »
i used to subscribe to the school of thought that the more to look at during a concert was generally a bad thing.  you can be distracted by how bad a bad band is when there are all these distractions on stage.

don't get me wrong, i completely agree with you - good lighting doesn't make up for a bad performance.  but if the cake is solid, why not have a tasty icing instead of a bland one?  especially when so many so many good ingredients are on hand?

(another way to think of it: would anyone enjoy or even see a kelly clarkson concert, for example, if they didn't have all the dancing, wardrobe changes, pyrotechnics, etc?).

slight aside, but i think ms clarkson's popularity has a lot more to do with awareness and marketing.  i'm not familiar with her fans but i'm not sure how many go in with the expectation/desire of seeing bright lights and sparkly costumes.  so the initial decision probably isn't based on stage show, but the actual enjoyment probably is... whatever :)

however, i've changed.  i realize how much good lighting can really make a good band that much more awesome.  the arcade fire's show at dar a few years ago comes to mind as does a lot of wilco shows i've seen.

the light should be part of the band's over-all vision for the show.  is it more than just the music?  can the visuals amplify the songs?  can we serve up some eye candy along with the ear candy?  (nose candy optional).  DCFC's lights left me with the impressions that they parachuted someone in to do them - someone who isn't even familiar with the music and didn't get much if any direction from the band.  like you said, a little amateurish.

also, if i may step up on my soapbox of show courtesy, it drives me up the wall when people head for the exits halfway through the last song - especially in large numbers.  so many people were fleeing to the metro halfway through "transatlanticism".  i always wonder if they all stayed and clapped, we'd might get a chance at another encore from the band. 

yeah, but on the other hand the whole encore thing is rather contrived.  once upon a time crowd reaction might have been rewarded with an impromptu encore, but nowadays they're almost all scripted - encore songs are pre-determined and written in to the set list.  a bar band might have the luxury of playing one more song but big productions depend on a lot of people that the band probably doesn't want to piss off.  curfews might also play a role.  huh... that gives me an idea for a new thread...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 12:06:01 pm »
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 01:03:19 pm »
Actually, I thought the Pixies show there was pretty darn fantastic.  I think it helps to be sitting in the center there, soundwise.