Author Topic: Neko Case show help  (Read 9161 times)

Mr.Whippy

Re: Neko Case show help
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 07:10:16 am »
I'm really excited about the Will Sheff thing tonight, though I was looking forward to Crooked Fingers as well.

Can anyone who might have been there early comment on how early it would be good to show up to get a spot on the balcony railing?  I bet if we were there by the time the doors opened, we would probably be OK, but if I knew that it was OK to get there more like 7:30, that would be great.

Thanks.

wml7

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 08:58:58 am »
I'm really excited about the Will Sheff thing tonight, though I was looking forward to Crooked Fingers as well.

Can anyone who might have been there early comment on how early it would be good to show up to get a spot on the balcony railing?  I bet if we were there by the time the doors opened, we would probably be OK, but if I knew that it was OK to get there more like 7:30, that would be great.

Thanks.

wasn't this already answered????  Yeah I think 7:30 would be fine too.  Anytime before 8 and the opening band actually would be fine.

jd930

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:47 am »
I say get there at doors.  We got there about 7:35 or so and the rail was full.

I enjoyed the show, too bad about Magpie being cut, I would've enjoyed hearing that. It was cool that the Sec'y of Education was there. Aside from that there was some other excitement going on up in the balcony. Stumbly, possibly drunk guy crashing into people and the coffee bar, obnoxious queer person of unsure gender singing along way too loudly to the point we had to re-locate and someone passing out right in front of us at the rail. Kudos to the 9:30 staff for their response to that last one. I am always impressed with how quickly they rally in situations such as that.

Overall great show, despite the distractions.

jd930

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:59 am »
I missed the show tonight, but I really wanted to hear Polar Nettles and The Next Time You Say Forever, so yeah! Looks like they'll get played tomorrow! Also looks like she's not doing John Saw That Number or Tightly. Hmm, maybe those will come tomorrow too.

I'd bet on John Saw That Number as a closer tonight.  Lucky you!

BTW, This Tornado Loves You kills live.

amnesiac

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 11:21:35 am »
Did anyone else notice that the crickets/frogs song was being played alongside Fleet Foxes after the encore? That was funny. Neko Case was pretty good but I enjoyed Crooked Fingers' set more.

Did Eric Bachmann have a band with him or did he play solo?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 11:29:24 am »
He had two other people playing with him: a woman playing bass and doing background singing and a guy doing keyboards/some drumming. No violinist :(  I remember being blown away by Crooked Fingers a couple years back (May 02, opening for Pinback) but that was with a 5 piece band with strings. I read somewhere that they played the West Coast in 2008 with a violinist and a couple Archers of Loaf songs...still on the fence with the IOTA show tonite....

Did anyone else notice that the crickets/frogs song was being played alongside Fleet Foxes after the encore? That was funny. Neko Case was pretty good but I enjoyed Crooked Fingers' set more.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 11:34:25 am by Hello Sunshine Marshmallow! »
(_|_)

MonkeyPants

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 11:49:35 am »

Thanks.

wasn't this already answered????  Yeah I think 7:30 would be fine too.  Anytime before 8 and the opening band actually would be fine.

If you want to be in the middle on the railing, I'd agree to get there at doors.  If you don't care if your on the side railings, then like 7:15 or 7:20 would be fine...or at least it was last night.  But later than that, the railing was full.
PANTS

nmsles

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 11:56:31 am »
That set list from last night sounds perfect.  I'm seeing her tonight and I hope most stays the same...can't wait, I've never seen Neko live.

Has anyone seen Okkervil River live?  What should I expect?

amnesiac

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 11:57:37 am »
He had two other people playing with him: a woman playing bass and doing background singing and a guy doing keyboards/some drumming. No violinist :(  I remember being blown away by Crooked Fingers a couple years back (May 02, opening for Pinback) but that was with a 5 piece band with strings. I read somewhere that they played the West Coast in 2008 with a violinist and a couple Archers of Loaf songs...still on the fence with the IOTA show tonite....

I've seen Crooked Fingers a few times and the best was when he had the Archers' bassist in the band. And they do sometimes play one or two Archers songs. The only ones I've seen them play are Chumming the Ocean, Dead Red Eyes, and White Trash Heroes.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 12:06:40 pm »
I'd say it was a great show last night. Much better than the last Neko show at the club but still the best Neko show I've seen was the second to last 930 show (the one with Martha Wainwright as the opener). Big surprise on the set list last night was "I Wish I Was The Moon"...

I'd hate you guys if you get "Running Out of Fools" or "The Train from Kansas City" tonite. SERIOUSLY!
(_|_)

K8teebug

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 12:12:51 pm »
Yeah, I don't think she will ever be able to beat the one where she played with Martha...

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 12:19:12 pm »
That set list from last night sounds perfect.  I'm seeing her tonight and I hope most stays the same...can't wait, I've never seen Neko live.

Has anyone seen Okkervil River live?  What should I expect?

I've seen Okkervil River before and they were great.  Much more energetic than you would expect from the records.  This is just Will, though, so I don't know what this will be.

Thanks to people giving reports on how early it was needed to arrive last night for a railing spot.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 12:32:35 pm »
I've seen Okkervil River before and they were great.  Much more energetic than you would expect from the records.  This is just Will, though, so I don't know what this will be.

That's what I was going to say!  Okkervil is great live, but I'm not sure what Sheff alone will be like.  Someone please ask him to play his cover of Ex-Girl Collection and then call me during the song so I can hear it! or record it on your phone! ;D
PANTS

amnesiac

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 12:49:36 pm »
Someone please ask him to play his cover of Ex-Girl Collection and then call me during the song so I can hear it! or record it on your phone! ;D

Saw him play this at Iota a few years ago when Charles Bissel opened for OR and it was awesome. Glad he finally recorded it. I hope he plays it again tonight. That and some stuff I've never heard live before, like Velocity of Saul...

andyrichter

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 04:41:02 pm »
Loved the show last night.  Great setlist.  I was hoping for Magpie as well which would have completed it.  I got there at 730 and the railing was full but still very sparse crowd.