Author Topic: The Best Remixes  (Read 35780 times)

Christine Moritz

Re: The Best Remixes
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 04:15:28 pm »
DJs are almost never creating mashups on the fly.  If you hear a mashup in a DJ's live set, odds are that he/she is playing it from MP3, bootleg 12", CD-R, etc.

Like Kosmo Vinyl, I had the impression that the heyday of the mashup was years ago.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 04:26:08 pm »
DJs are almost never creating mashups on the fly.  If you hear a mashup in a DJ's live set, odds are that he/she is playing it from MP3, bootleg 12", CD-R, etc.

Like Kosmo Vinyl, I had the impression that the heyday of the mashup was years ago.

I guess I'm special than since I do my mashup mixes live and not prerecorded. :)

I've gotta agree the mashup heyday was about as long as The Darkness' musical career, and about the same time period too... Hmmmm
3MTA3

edbert

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 04:54:52 pm »
>>>Wasn't that remix of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner" a huge seller?
What about the Junkie XL Elvis thing... I think that was actually a #1 hit in Britain

>>>DJs are almost never creating mashups on the fly.
This is more of a sound-collage approach, but Vicki Bennett aka 'People Like Us' does her clever mashups live:  http://www.peoplelikeus.org/radio.htm

walkonby

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 06:06:10 pm »
any song by the orb remixed by anybody, including the orb.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 07:48:24 pm »
I've found that I'm generally a HUGE fan of Jacques Lu Cont/Thin White Duke/Stuart Price remixes. Ditto this for Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve. BTWS's remixes of Midlake's "Roscoe" and Goldfrapp's "Happiness" are pretty fucking phenomenal and turn already great songs into phenomenal tracks.
Woof.

sonickteam2

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 08:39:55 am »
 I'm to this thread late, but I want to throw my hat into the mashup/remix ring and agree with Kosmo.

mashups are not remixes. its hurtful to my brain to think they may have ever passed as remixes ....to anyone, ever.

it would be like if i took a famous painting and and made everything a different color on it.  wow, look how creative i am!

now, can we get back to posting some good remixes?

sonickteam2

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:20 am »

I guess my point is that the distinctions are nuanced; essentially, a mashup is just a more specialized form of remix, involving an additional song brought into the picture.

have you ever tried doing either? try both and come back and say its a "nuance".

Sage 703

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 08:43:58 am »

I guess my point is that the distinctions are nuanced; essentially, a mashup is just a more specialized form of remix, involving an additional song brought into the picture.

have you ever tried doing either? try both and come back and say its a "nuance".

I have tried both, before I posted anything here to begin with.  The distinctions are nuanced.

sonickteam2

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 08:56:26 am »

I have tried both, before I posted anything here to begin with.  The distinctions are nuanced.

you must make a crappy remix or one hell of a mashup.

I may not take one thing you say here seriously ever again....

sonickteam2

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 08:57:20 am »
I've found that I'm generally a HUGE fan of Jacques Lu Cont/Thin White Duke/Stuart Price remixes. Ditto this for Beyond the Wizard's Sleeve. BTWS's remixes of Midlake's "Roscoe" and Goldfrapp's "Happiness" are pretty fucking phenomenal and turn already great songs into phenomenal tracks.

dont just talk about it!!!

Midlake - Roscoe (Beyond The Wizard's Sleeve Remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEIVTS9Lvso

« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2009, 09:00:33 am »
Remixes have always seemed like a cash grab to me. I don't think I've ever heard a remix that improved on the original, and most are much worse than the original.

Sage 703

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2009, 09:12:42 am »

I don't really care if you do or don't - but I'm fairly sure you can buy one more of my remixes in stores than yours. 

I'll concede that my original phrasing about a demonstrable difference between mashups and remixes was poor - but I won't concede that ultimately, the differences between the two are nuanced.  Are there differences?  Yes.  But if you were to explain the two to a casual music fan or somebody who didn't know what either of them were, you'd hit on many of the same points in your explanations.  Both are ultimately a way of representing a song in a different form than it was originally presented, with an end goal of creating something new and different that can stand alone.

Can mashups be created on the fly?  I'm sure they can with the right equipment.  Can remixes?  Probably also true.  Can both be created in a studio and be way more complicated than that?  Absolutely.

How would you explain the Grey Album, Girl Talk, or that godawful Linkin Park/Jay-Z project?  Mashups, or remixes?  I think either distinction on its own is inadequate.

Oh, and for the record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(music)

Mashups are known by a number of different names:

* Bootlegs (mostly in Europe)
    * Boots (but not Booty which is a branch of Electro)
    * Mash-ups
    * Smashups (or Smash-Ups)
    * Bastard pop (as in the combined songs are unofficial)
    * Blends
    * Cutups (or cut ups, a term originally coined by William S. Burroughs to describe some of his literary experiments that involved literally "cutting up" different texts and rearranging the pieces to create a new piece.)
    * Powermixing (Usually the pace has to be sped up to allow for more song to be played and thus cannot play any single blend for the full length of the song)

In addition, more traditional terms such as "edits" or (unauthorized) "remixes" are favored by many "bootleggers" (also known as 'leggers).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 09:15:36 am by callat703 »

sonickteam2

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2009, 09:17:20 am »
Remixes have always seemed like a cash grab to me. I don't think I've ever heard a remix that improved on the original, and most are much worse than the original.

its true, especially if you dont like dance music, since more than 50% of remixes are dance oriented, or maybe hip-hop.  if a rock band plays another rock bands song, i think they just call that a cover version (though a cover song is closer to a remix than a fucking mashup).

Rabbit in the Moon were probably my favourite remixers, although sometimes you would remix a song so well, it was almost just considered your own song, with a certain sample in it.

like this Tori Amos song....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNJqrBLhFKk

while others they did were more straight remixes, the this Sarah McLachlan song  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9atfn0hLj0

sonickteam2

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2009, 09:25:00 am »

I don't really care if you do or don't - but I'm fairly sure you can buy one more of my remixes in stores than yours. 

I'll concede that my original phrasing about a demonstrable difference between mashups and remixes was poor - but I won't concede that ultimately, the differences between the two are nuanced.  Are there differences?  Yes.  But if you were to explain the two to a casual music fan or somebody who didn't know what either of them were, you'd hit on many of the same points in your explanations.  Both are ultimately a way of representing a song in a different form than it was originally presented, with an end goal of creating something new and different that can stand alone.

Can mashups be created on the fly?  I'm sure they can with the right equipment.  Can remixes?  Probably also true.  Can both be created in a studio and be way more complicated than that?  Absolutely.

How would you explain the Grey Album, Girl Talk, or that godawful Linkin Park/Jay-Z project?  Mashups, or remixes?  I think either distinction on its own is inadequate.

Oh, and for the record:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(music)

Mashups are known by a number of different names:

* Bootlegs (mostly in Europe)
    * Boots (but not Booty which is a branch of Electro)
    * Mash-ups
    * Smashups (or Smash-Ups)
    * Bastard pop (as in the combined songs are unofficial)
    * Blends
    * Cutups (or cut ups, a term originally coined by William S. Burroughs to describe some of his literary experiments that involved literally "cutting up" different texts and rearranging the pieces to create a new piece.)
    * Powermixing (Usually the pace has to be sped up to allow for more song to be played and thus cannot play any single blend for the full length of the song)

In addition, more traditional terms such as "edits" or (unauthorized) "remixes" are favored by many "bootleggers" (also known as 'leggers).

since when is wikipedia, "for the record"???  this article was clearly written by someone as stupid as you. and it barely even mentions "remixes" until the end, where it seems to generify them into one lump category by people like you who dont really understand.

Where are these remixes that you can by at the store...i'd love to hear them! surely they're all over the net too! link em up. 

remixes and mashups have many small similarities but the differences lie in the basic form of creation and you jsut cant ignore that....however, clearly your knowledge in this field is limited, since you started a remix thread with links to a bunch of mashups!   

sonickteam2

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2009, 09:29:58 am »

The Grey album is a mashup album.  I dont know Girl Talk but I thought he was a mashup dude too.   

Look, just because somewhere down the line, people have "greyed" the line between mashup and remix doesnt give anyone the right to perpetuate that line of thinking. 

Sorry, but i get upset and I am a bit classic with my mixing of music.  I was even irate when the records DJs started using were complex enough that all they had to do was beat match records all night.