Author Topic: Is it ok to wear a baseball hat to your kid's doctor's appointment  (Read 8721 times)

So our daughter was ill on Sunday, and we got care and she improved. We had a followup doctor's appointment Monday.

I stayed home from work to help take her to the doctor (my wife also had the flu). My hair was unwashed and unstyled, and I was wearing jeans and a sweatshirt. I went to put on a baseball hat, and my wife had a hissy fit. She insisted that a baseball hat was inappropriate to wear to your child's scheduled doctor appointment.
Now, I'm not a big baseball hat wearing guy, but I will wear one if my hair is in sad shape, which it was Monday. But alas I was told that was not an option.

What do you guys think? Is a baseball hat inappropriate to wear to your kid's doctor's appointment?

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
Re: Is it ok to wear a baseball hat to your kid's doctor's appointment
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:06:39 pm »
Totally appropriate.  Tell Celeste to chill!

Relaxer

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:22:06 pm »
Was your appointment at a baseball diamond?
oword

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:25:20 pm »
Bribe the doc to wear one next time your wife takes the kid.
😐 🎶

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:43:31 pm »
i want to take your side, charlie, but let's face it... our fashion sense is horrible.  based on precedent, celeste might be right.  not that i fault you for fighting the good fight.
<sig>

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:45:13 pm »
Bribe the doc to wear one next time your wife takes the kid.

Should I ask her to put it on top of the head scarf, or in place of the head scarf? Note: the doctor who saw my daughter was much cuter than this woman. I'm just google imaging an example.

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 02:48:11 pm »
I don't think it's a question of fashion, to her.

She said something about how "these young Indian and Middle Eastern female doctors are already above us...if you wear a baseball hat, they're really going to think we're white trash."

i want to take your side, charlie, but let's face it... our fashion sense is horrible.  based on precedent, celeste might be right.  not that i fault you for fighting the good fight.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 03:06:15 pm »
who cares what the doc thinks?  assuming you are polite with her, communicate clearly, pay your bills on time, demonstrate that you're a good parent, etc i wouldn't worry what she thinks about your background/social origin/sense of fashion. what, celeste is afraid she'll gossip about you to all the other doctors?

and how about you give up the NASCAR instead?  much white-trashier :)
<sig>

sonickteam2

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 03:14:17 pm »

What do you guys think? Is a baseball hat inappropriate to wear to your kid's doctor's appointment?

better than a hockey jersey. 

besides, you shouldnt wear hats indoors anyway, dont they teach you americans anything in school?

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 03:21:17 pm »
Maybe she thinks that a doctor will give better care to someone she views as a white collar professional rather than uneducated working class trash?

Or perhaps the fact that it was an Orioles hat has something to do with it.

who cares what the doc thinks?  assuming you are polite with her, communicate clearly, pay your bills on time, demonstrate that you're a good parent, etc i wouldn't worry what she thinks about your background/social origin/sense of fashion. what, celeste is afraid she'll gossip about you to all the other doctors?

and how about you give up the NASCAR instead?  much white-trashier :)

sonickteam2

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 03:32:22 pm »

Or perhaps the fact that it was an Orioles hat has something to do with it.

when did you start playing for the Orioles??

chaz

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 03:37:22 pm »
Just to clarify my earlier position, I don't necessarily condone the regular wearing of baseball hats as a fashion accessory (though i do wear one when in the sun, working in the yard...or at a game), but do understand their value in a situation such as the one described by Rhett.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 03:39:23 pm by chaz »

chaz

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:16 pm »
double post

godsshoeshine

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 03:38:39 pm »
i'd say if youre the one doing the paying, you can wear whatever you want. however, i believe you have said your wife is right about everything. to take your side here, id have to accept that you were wrong about that, and she is wrong here. i dont know if i can do that
o/\o

ggw

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 03:51:00 pm »
She said something about how "these young Indian and Middle Eastern female doctors are already above us...

Gosh, our little Celeste is growing up to be a fine little suburban GOP homemaker isn't she.

Does she peek out the front curtain and rant about illegal immigration when the landscapers show up in the neighborhood?