Author Topic: Ticket Prices  (Read 3279 times)

RichmondVirginia

Ticket Prices
« on: April 18, 2009, 08:54:54 pm »
What the s**t is up with these ticket prices???? $40 for an evening with Cake... before the extra fees. And a Grizzly Bear ticket that's $18, with "extra fees" it adds up to $41. There's obviously a market in DC to open a competing indoor concert venue.

azaghal1981

Re: Ticket Prices
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 09:05:37 pm »
$41? That can't be right.

With the fees, no way it's more than $26.

But I do agree that there have been some bizarre prices as of late.
And not just at the club. $30 for Beirut? Are you fucking kidding me? Dude fronts a run-of-the-mill indie band that's worth $15 to me at the most.
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 09:52:14 pm »
i see julian is posting under a fake name.   ;D

oh, and how else are bands suppose to make money anymore.  we fucking destroyed the music industry.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 10:04:00 pm »
I would never complain about ticket prices. If anything, I would highlight that that which we gain too easily we esteem too little. Like shopping at a Hugo Boss outlet.

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 10:15:55 pm »
You've become way too predictable. I knew you were going to post this.

Edit: and it can just as easily (and more accurately, IMO) be argued that the internet making music readily available leads to more people acquiring it (legally or otherwise) which leads to more people finding out about/wanting to see a given artist. This enables the artist to charge a higher price and more often than not, get it. I think it's safe to say that while prices are getting higher, the 930 is well on pace to crush whatever their record for sell-outs in a given year is. So while record companies might be hemorrhaging  money, artists (especially small ones) are doing better now than ever.
It's more of an evolution than a destruction of the industry.

oh, and how else are bands suppose to make money anymore.  we fucking destroyed the music industry.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:02:57 pm by azaghal1981 »
احمد

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 10:21:54 am »
Those ticket prices are bad?  Try tickets for the upcoming Aerosmith tour.  upwards of $200+ before fees.  Yeah right.  I like Aerosmith and all but no way in hell they are worth over $200 per ticket.
FUKIT

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 10:48:13 am »
You can chalk that one up to good old fashion greed.
احمد

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 11:10:49 am »
The service charge on one Grizzly Bear ticket is $4.75.   I'm not sure how you're coming up with $23 in service charges, unless you're including parking and super-fast shipping.  If so - that's your fault.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 11:26:57 am »
just see Cake in Baltimore at Artscape for free, July 18th...

What the s**t is up with these ticket prices???? $40 for an evening with Cake... before the extra fees. And a Grizzly Bear ticket that's $18, with "extra fees" it adds up to $41. There's obviously a market in DC to open a competing indoor concert venue.
(_|_)

walkonby

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 12:52:25 pm »

Edit: and it can just as easily (and more accurately, IMO) be argued that the internet making music readily available leads to more people acquiring it (legally or otherwise) which leads to more people finding out about/wanting to see a given artist. This enables the artist to charge a higher price and more often than not, get it. I think it's safe to say that while prices are getting higher, the 930 is well on pace to crush whatever their record for sell-outs in a given year is. So while record companies might be hemorrhaging  money, artists (especially small ones) are doing better now than ever.

i actually like what this person had to say:

http://www.musicbizadvice.com/how_we_killed_the_music_industry.htm

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 06:06:01 pm »
is it just me, or does it smell like astro-turf in here?

What the s**t is up with these ticket prices???? $40 for an evening with Cake... before the extra fees.

if you have a problem with the $40 price tag for cake, talk to the band first.

And a Grizzly Bear ticket that's $18, with "extra fees" it adds up to $41.

bullshit.  1 ticket = $26.75 ($18 + $4.75 conv fee + $4 delivery).  that's still a 49% mark-up on the face price but doesn't come anywhere near $41.  there's enough to complain about 'round here without making shit up.

if you buy your ticket at the club's box office the only surcharge you'll pay is $1/ticket.

admittedly the truth is rather predictable :)

it's a matter of semantics as to whether you call it destruction or evolution.  what's undeniable is that more expensive concert tickets are a consequence of this change, since it's the only way the artists (and promoters, and record companies, etc) can make money.
<sig>

RichmondVirginia

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 06:53:39 pm »
Yep, I did make a mistake about Grizzly Bear. Ticket price + service charge + order processing is $26.75. Factoring in the parking fee would bump it up significantly but not to $41.