Author Topic: SXSW Roll Call  (Read 4647 times)

Re: SXSW Roll Call
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 05:29:00 pm »
You can find NYC hotels for much cheaper if you stay in New Jersey.

Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by MyraEllen:
  CMJ is cheaper, but not as awesome!     :)    

Man, but for NYC to be affordable for a whole week you need a friend who doesn't mind letting you stay in their 400 sq foot apartment that long.  Hotels in NYC are double Austin.  Even the Marriott in Brooklyn is $365/night.

(It's true, though -- airfares have become insane.  In DECEMBER the direct Dulles - Austin flight on United was either $600 or $800.)

I love SxSW because most things are in a 10 block area -- if you can't get into a showcase, it matters less because there are 40 otehrs within a few blocks, not taxi-cab rides away (which also cost you precious time to get in line).  Also, I love the Sixth Street is closed to traffic.  It's like getting a festival with the benefit of seeing shows in small clubs, which is the best way to see bands in my opinion! [/b]

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »
There actually are inexpensive hotels in NYC. it just takes a bit of looking. there are also lots of boutique hotels throughout the city. i used to stay in one in union sq that was quite reasonable. also LIC had some inexpensive hotels. i dont know if prices have gone up that significantly in the past few years. kurosawa and i used to get amazing deals on priceline and stayed at some pretty swanky hotels.

or else Jersey is the option if theres no friends. my place is taken every year at CMJ but i could probably be bribed with loads of cash  :D
HeyLa

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 06:06:00 pm »
Have you looked at the prices of NYC hotels LATELY? From what I could tell when I was looking on priceline and hotwire last year, they seem to have skyrocketed in the last two years or so. I recently read an article somewhere that basically confirmed my findings.

Originally posted by xneverwherex:
  There actually are inexpensive hotels in NYC. it just takes a bit of looking. there are also lots of boutique hotels throughout the city. i used to stay in one in union sq that was quite reasonable. also LIC had some inexpensive hotels. i dont know if prices have gone up that significantly in the past few years. kurosawa and i used to get amazing deals on priceline and stayed at some pretty swanky hotels.

or else Jersey is the option if theres no friends. my place is taken every year at CMJ but i could probably be bribed with loads of cash   :D  

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2008, 11:49:00 am »
Whoo! This week!!!
Woof.

tigersscareme

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2008, 03:54:00 pm »
say hi to my friend aaron for me. I would go to see the night marchers, but they're playing baltimore on may 10, so i'll opt for that.

SPARX

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 08:03:00 pm »
Just a heads up for any SXSW lovers not attending, they are showing the fest 8 hours a day for 3 days on DIRECTV.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »
and for those who can't be by a tv,  NPR will be streaming various shows:

(All Times ET/CT and Subject to Change)

Wed., March 12 (Stubbs)
 9:00/8:00 p.m.: Johnathan Rice
 10:00/9:00 p.m.: Summerbirds in the Cellar
 11:00/10:00 p.m.: Papercranes
 12:00 a.m./11:00 p.m.: Dead Confederate
 1:00/12:00 a.m.: R.E.M.

Thurs., March 13 (Parish)
 1:30/12:30 p.m.: Shout Out Louds
 2:15/1:15 p.m.: Jens Lekman
 3:00/2:00 p.m.: A.A. Bondy
 3:30/2:30 p.m.: Yeasayer
 4:15/3:15 p.m.: Bon Iver
 5:00/4:00 p.m.: Vampire Weekend

Thurs., March 13 (Austin Music Hall)
 9:15/8:15 p.m.: The Whigs
 10:30/9:30 p.m.: Yo La Tengo
 12:00 a.m./11:00 p.m.: My Morning Jacket

Fri., March 14 (Volume)
 2:00/1:00 p.m.: The Weakerthans
 3:00/2:00 p.m.: Kaki King
 4:00/3:00 p.m.: Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
 5:00/4:00 p.m.: Liam Finn
 6:00/5:00 p.m.: The Whigs

plenty more streams  available here - including the Raveonettes, Sons & Daughters, DeVotchka, Daniel Lanois, The Duke Spirit, The Breeders, Holy Fuck, Tokyo Police Club, Tapes 'N Tapes, etc etc etc...
<sig>

grotty

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2008, 11:59:00 am »
have great fun all.

there's nothing quite like jetting out of the northeast this time of year - & getting dropped into rock n roll nirvana.

head to Gueros & grab a shiner

gueros
 across from Continental Club

MonkeyPants

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2008, 03:45:00 pm »
Originally posted by Bags:

Originally posted by MyraEllen:
  CMJ is cheaper, but not as awesome!     :)    

Man, but for NYC to be affordable for a whole week you need a friend who doesn't mind letting you stay in their 400 sq foot apartment that long.  Hotels in NYC are double Austin.  Even the Marriott in Brooklyn is $365/night.

(It's true, though -- airfares have become insane.  In DECEMBER the direct Dulles - Austin flight on United was either $600 or $800.)

I love SxSW because most things are in a 10 block area -- if you can't get into a showcase, it matters less because there are 40 otehrs within a few blocks, not taxi-cab rides away (which also cost you precious time to get in line).  Also, I love the Sixth Street is closed to traffic.  It's like getting a festival with the benefit of seeing shows in small clubs, which is the best way to see bands in my opinion! [/b]
Since I'm from NYC, I never think of this as a problem - just crash on a friend's couch.  I have no friends in Austin to crash with, and volunteering for CMJ is easy.  Volunteering for SXSW is not.  So I'll stick with thinking CMJ is cheaper  :)

Off in 14.5 hours!
PANTS

lbcardoni

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2008, 03:49:00 pm »
Originally posted by i'm her slave:
  have great fun all.

there's nothing quite like jetting out of the northeast this time of year - & getting dropped into rock n roll nirvana.

head to Gueros & grab a shiner

gueros
 across from Continental Club
mmm...Guero's.

Try the Tacos Al Pastor while you are there too!

lbcardoni

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2008, 03:51:00 pm »
FYI...The lineup for the Tripwire/Fader/Levi's Fort was announced  Here

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2008, 03:55:00 pm »
woxy is also streaming shows

http://woxy.lala.com/austin08/

Tuesday, March 11th
 Noon    Moonlight Towers    
 2:00p    Zykos    
 4:00p    The Kills    

Wednesday, March 12th
 10:00a    Ed Harcourt    
 Noon    The Whip    
 2:00p    Lightspeed Champion    
 4:00p    Birdmonster    
 6:00p    Peter Moren    

Thursday, March 13th
 10:00a    The Answering Machine    
 10:30a    James Yuill    
 Noon    Project Jenny, Project Jan    
 2:00p    Dead Confederate    
 4:00p    Frightened Rabbit    
 6:00p    Wye Oak    

Friday, March 14th
 10:00a    LoveLikeFire    
 Noon    Sons & Daughters    
 2:00p    A Place To Bury Strangers    
 4:00p    Shout Out Louds    
 6:00p    Film School    

Saturday, March 15th
 10:00a    These New Puritans    
 Noon    Working For A Nuclear Free City    
 2:00p    Earlimart    
 4:00p    The Helio Sequence
T.Rex

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 03:03:00 pm »
Been listening to this on npr. good to hear the insight from Carrie Brownstein  in addition to the two npr fanboys.

azaghal1981

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 03:06:00 pm »
That was a nice Jens set.
احمد

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 08:36:00 am »
from the front page of the WSJ:

Heavy Meddle: Music Festival Limits the Party
 Once Rock's Rebels, South by Southwest Becomes 'The Man'

AUSTIN, Texas -- At the storied South by Southwest music festival, a new group has been cast in the role of rock 'n' roll rebels: the suits.

Late Wednesday, on opening night of this year's event, Ticketmaster and four of its subsidiaries sponsored a party hosted by Moby. The DJ and musician spun classic Rolling Stones tunes inside a white clapboard house here, sending the packed dance floor into a frenzy. Projected on the front of the house was Ticketmaster's logo -- the company is renting the home as a place industry executives can find "round-the-clock VIP treatment" throughout the festival.

Music fans have long been conditioned to cringe at such corporate displays and admire the free-spirited folks who organize music festivals. But at the 22-year-old SXSW, as this event is known, the tables have turned. The festival folks, not Big Business, are looking like the heavies. The reason: Parties like the one Wednesday night aren't sanctioned by SXSW, which has increasingly gone to great lengths to discourage or shut them down. They're calling in complaints to fire marshals and taking party promoters to court.

continued...
<sig>