Author Topic: SXSW Roll Call  (Read 4646 times)

Firebutt McGee

SXSW Roll Call
« on: February 25, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »
Who's headed to Austin?
Woof.

MonkeyPants

Re: SXSW Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »
ME!

And I'm so excited!

And if anyone out there can hook me up with invites (2-4) for parties thrown by Spin, Q or Blender, I'll take you to see Wilco on Wednesday for free!

I'M DONE BEING OVER-EXUBERANT NOW  :)
PANTS

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:06:00 pm »
People who have $$$

But seriously, most of the bands I want to see have already played here or will play here soon.
(_|_)

anarchist

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 12:18:00 am »
i spent $5 last year for music at sxsw.  the best shows might be at the lamar street bridge at 2am.  don't tell anyone.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:43:00 pm »
Originally posted by MyraEllen:
  ME!

And I'm so excited!

And if anyone out there can hook me up with invites (2-4) for parties thrown by Spin, Q or Blender, I'll take you to see Wilco on Wednesday for free!

I'M DONE BEING OVER-EXUBERANT NOW   :)  
Keep an eye on THIS:

http://www.showlistaustin.com/

Annnnnnnnnnnd, check your PM's.
Woof.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 06:23:00 pm »
already bookmarked that!  Now I have to stop paying so much attention to side parties and figure out which showcases I'm going to try to get to.  ack.  Maybe when I'm on the plane I'll figure it all out.

just responded to your message, too.
PANTS

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 06:50:00 pm »
One of these years...

I must do either this or CMJ
احمد

xcanuck

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:54:00 pm »
We'll be there, too!!

pfsmith32

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »
I'll be there as well.  I'm racked with agony over which dayparties to attend.  This website, SXSW Schedule, is very helpful.

MonkeyPants

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 10:33:00 am »
Originally posted by azaghal1981:
  One of these years...

I must do either this or CMJ
SXSW kicks CMJ's butt.  Everything is just more central in Austin and it's like a big party in the streets and every bar.  I've done CMJ 5 times (mostly as a volunteer to get a free badge) and SXSW only once before.  SXSW is more expensive coming from here though b.c of airfare, hotel, badge, etc.  If you have a friend in Austin it helps because then you can get accommodations and a wristband instead of a badge.  CMJ is cheaper, but not as awesome!  :)

As for the day parties, just start early, hit up as many as you can.  If one gets boring, just hop to another one.  Don't stress.  Always have a plan B, plan C, plan D and plan E.  Give into the fact that you won't get to see everyone you want to see, won't get to go to every showcase or party you want to go to, and you'll be a lot happier and have more fun.
PANTS

eltee

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »
I agree. Wish I were going, but it's costly...I will miss the good food as well. :p  If I were going again, I'd act as if I were on vacation vice running around with a schedule (hit the day parties and a select few shows at night)

Venerable Bede

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 03:21:00 pm »
let us know how the rachael ray  party goes?
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2008, 03:22:00 pm »
Originally posted by Venerable Bede:
  let us know how the rachael ray  party goes?
Wonky Eye.
27>34

Bags

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 05:16:00 pm »
Why bother with the showcases until you're there?  The couple weeks leading up to SxSW should be all about RSVPing to day parties!!!

Good luck

I'm passing this year (just sold my badge, along with my very primo hotel reservation at the Hilton right across from the Convention Center).  Just too much going on.  Plus, a year off may inspire more excitement for next year...

I'm in for Lolla, though.

already bookmarked that!  Now I have to stop paying so much attention to side parties and figure out which showcases I'm going to try to get to.  ack.  Maybe when I'm on the plane I'll figure it all out.

just responded to your message, too.

Bags

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 05:22:00 pm »
  CMJ is cheaper, but not as awesome!    :)  

Man, but for NYC to be affordable for a whole week you need a friend who doesn't mind letting you stay in their 400 sq foot apartment that long.  Hotels in NYC are double Austin.  Even the Marriott in Brooklyn is $365/night.

(It's true, though -- airfares have become insane.  In DECEMBER the direct Dulles - Austin flight on United was either $600 or $800.)

I love SxSW because most things are in a 10 block area -- if you can't get into a showcase, it matters less because there are 40 otehrs within a few blocks, not taxi-cab rides away (which also cost you precious time to get in line).  Also, I love the Sixth Street is closed to traffic.  It's like getting a festival with the benefit of seeing shows in small clubs, which is the best way to see bands in my opinion!