Author Topic: Acid Mothers Temple roll call  (Read 4616 times)

azaghal1981

Acid Mothers Temple roll call
« on: April 19, 2009, 02:53:43 pm »
Question: why isn't this at a better venue like Velvet or BC backstage?

That being asked, who else is going?
احمد

snailhook

Re: Acid Mothers Temple roll call
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2009, 08:00:37 pm »
Question: why isn't this at a better venue like Velvet or BC backstage?

because their booking agent always goes to RNRH/DC9's booker. it is that simple. acid mothers belong at the velvet.

saw them last night at jb's...damn good show. pretty cool to see sonic suicide squad open, who are basically cash slave clique with vinnie from temple of bon matin on sax. heavy free jazz-influenced noise.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 01:10:10 am »
Got there just in time for SSS...very solid. Didn't know it would be as free jazzy as it was. Noticed a few days ago that they did the whole national tour. That's pretty huge. AMT were great up until Pink Lady Lemonade. Why do they insist on playing that song every fucking night? It goes absolutely nowhere for 15-20 minutes and then ends. They reprised it later in the set tonight which was doubly annoying. Other than that and some other aimless jam at the end, the set was really good. Loving the newer middle eastern sounding stuff. And Kawabata's vocal range is otherworldly; I wish he'd make more use of it.
احمد

teepo

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 01:47:52 am »
i'm a little tired of pink lady lemonade as well. it's the 4th time i've heard it live but since four of my friends who attended were amt virgins, i was sorta glad they got to experience at least hear it. i'm just hoping they're trying to kill the damn song so no one requests it no more.

but overall, a great show and like always, will be in my top 10 for the year, but would've/could've been better with cotton :(

teepo

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 01:48:44 am »
oh yeh, fuck dc9.

snailhook

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 02:22:56 am »
they always play "pink lady lemonade." i've been sick of that jam since 2005. it was cool the first two times, but i'm sick of it.

maybe because i've seen AMT close to a dozen times now, they don't blow me away like they used to. i still enjoy them, just not as much. they never get into the dark, sludgy stuff they used to do about ten years ago, which i love. it's always upbeat and fast. "la novia" is cool but they beat that dead horse, too.

i can't fuckin' wait for GHOST and MAGIK MARKERS on may 10th!

teepo

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:33:06 am »
sorta  how i feel about boris as of late. they still put on a good show but for fucks sake, bring back the 30 minute sludge/drone tracks plz?

as for ghost & magik, i'll be at the nyc show on may 9th, the day after mono/arvo! been waiting a lonnnng time for this one.

snailhook

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 02:43:49 am »
i agree about boris, too. best time i saw them was the first time. i feel like a snob, but i really do feel like some of these bands lose something special when the hipsters get into them. they know what appeals to the majority and they know what sells, so they go that route. 30-minute drone jams don't sell. if they did, my band would be rich!

teepo

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2009, 02:54:41 am »
lets hope for bardo pond to deliver with the drunken psychedelia at no fun fest.

snailhook

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2009, 04:44:11 am »
they will. i might actually join them on 2nd drums/percussion, which we did once before, opening for avarus.  i'm stoked for no fun...skullflower!

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 08:13:24 am »
I wouldn't at all have minded "La Novia." I heard a recording from earlier in the tour where it was done solo acoustic. Was pretty sure he was going to go into that for a while last night until that damn PLL melody materialized.

Also psyched for that Ghost/Magik Markers show! Just got rid of my Animal Collective Ottobar tickets. Now there's a band who has absolutely no noise/drone element left. :( Didn't Boris use to play sets made up of two or three of their long drone pieces? Would be nice to be able to catch one of those. Does either of you know someone looking to sell a sunday No Fun?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 08:49:22 am by azaghal1981 »
احمد

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 08:50:17 am »
I thought it WAS the hipsters who are first into bands, then it's the TRENDIES who follow suit.

If the people who are first into a band aren't hipsters, what are they?

i agree about boris, too. best time i saw them was the first time. i feel like a snob, but i really do feel like some of these bands lose something special when the hipsters get into them. they know what appeals to the majority and they know what sells, so they go that route. 30-minute drone jams don't sell. if they did, my band would be rich!

teepo

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:26:09 am »
i sorta feel like a hipster nowadays :-\

but i only view myself as being a 90s rock kid :(

snailhook

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2009, 08:41:27 pm »
I thought it WAS the hipsters who are first into bands, then it's the TRENDIES who follow suit.

If the people who are first into a band aren't hipsters, what are they?

ha...i knew you were going to respond to this.

i would say that it's usually single, socially retarded record store clerks who write reviews  :P

hipsters usually need some confirmation from others (i.e. blogs and websites) on what to listen to, how to dress, what to say, etc. hipsters aren't innovators, though they think they are. keep in mind, everybody has a different definition of hispterism, and this is mine.

SPARX

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2009, 12:44:52 am »
lets hope for bardo pond to deliver with the drunken psychedelia at no fun fest.

New album from Bardo Pond, plus the Bonus EP that comes with the first 500
copies.

http://rapidshare.com/files/223851895/Bardo_Pond_-_Peri__2009_.rar

Enjoy!